Out of line?

QuadMachine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I pissed of a few players at my last visit to the mall and wanted to get your take on it.

I was making our way down the 2nd of 3 back stairwells, into the basement. There were three of other players ahead of me. All three creeping as silently as possible. I stopped the guy at the back and asked for a site rep, he told me there was an enemy at the far end of the hall. I've knocked it up below, enemy in red.

scene.jpg

Player 1 has the drop on the corridor, worse he knows we're there. We could be there all night exchanging pot shots. I told player 3 that I'd rush player 1, take the hit and let them sweep up. At this point all three started calling me a noob and a tactical elephant. All three of them got pretty upset. I steamed in, got shot, none followed.

So here's my question was I:

A: Not playing in the spirit of airsoft, by spoiling others players perceived advantage and game. I should have walked away and let them get on with it. They were there first.

B: Right to stick to my guns (no pun intended) and rush player 1, knowing full well I'd get shot, in order that the other three could follow up and progress the game for our team?

I think the point the other players might of had is that while i know this is airsoft, in real life you wouldn't have done that and they might have perceived that you were ruining their realism. Is that an excuse for them to get upset, no.. just an idea of what they might have thought

Did you find out how and if they cleared it out in the end?

Whenever I'm in doubt if something is okay or not in airsoft, I always think.. "would I do that in real life?" if the answers yes, carry on.. if not best to rethink.

Its easy to forget but the main reason a lot of us chose airsoft over paintball is because its more realistic

hero yes! but sent home in body bag.

tactically had the right idea, but player 1 had the advantage and you all know that.

a distraction is what was needed!

just a thought what about distraction? Take off your glove, throw it down the corridor. Tactically follow it up with a few placed shots while player one is distracted (may even believe its a flash bang or such)

:)

Bit of a spoil sport. I do the same and people generally don't mind me.

Some guys did get pissy at the academy when they stormed the room i was in and i grenade killed (BFG) myself and a couple of the guys.

• Supporters

I'd have probably done the same as you.

Airsoft is a military simulation and whilst what you did worked it is not in that aspect very lifelike.

BUT

Airsoft IS A GAME and taking one for the team in this situation showed far greater tactical awareness than the other players were showing.

My take on that situation would have been:

player 2 turns on torch, cutting the corner very tight and low, to draw fire, putting fire back down at him and blinding temporarily, player 3 or unlabeled then steps out into the far side of the corridor to make the kill shot.

One thing thats worked for me in the past is, because the xsite killhouse is outside, find a large bang shaped stick, do a lot of shouting about if anyone has a grenade and that you do and you're going to throw it and then throw the stick against a wall and into their room or corridor. You'll amazed how well it works, people come running out or go and hide allowing you to take them out easily!

If this was a real situation and you were conducting OBUA then you'd just throw a fragmentation grenade down the corridor to clear out the enemy. They were in my opinion being a bit over-zealous with the whole 'realism' thing. I'd have done the same (or similar) to your idea. Best crack on, charge the enemy and get the game moving on (especially since its NOT real life and therefore DOSEN'T matter if you get hit) then getting pinned and letting the game stagnate. :)

That's really interesting, seams opinion is broadly split. All three players were the kind that where full camo, outrageously expensive and authentic gear. I should have clocked they were taking things more seriously than others and left them to it. A grenade would have sorted things, and Nickonas idea of tossing of talking loudly about a frag then tossing in a stick is simply genius.

In the end I got shot, walked back down the corridor to the sneers of the other 3, which was a pity because the op was wasted. Never found out if they cleared it or not.

When I play Airsoft I'm normally a "runner" the guy at the front that steams in and creates play, for good or ill. I don't picture myself in a real life scenario, more in an action movie, and perhaps that the real difference between those looking for a simulation and those looking for an arcade hit.

• Supporters

I think you did the right thing.

I'm very much one for being as authentic as possible. In fact, if you meet anyone more obsessed with authenticity than me, let me know, I think I'm one of a kind lol. I'd have been where they were in a stand-off forever, potentially. But my aim would've been to sort it with a pyro. If I didn't have one, I'd have found someone that did.

However, if someone came along and suggested doing as you did, knowing that they'd be taking the hit for us to move up, I'd congratulate them for making such a ballsy move, not scowl at them like a cock head.

seriously wtf at the end of the day its a game, you wont be killed maimed or wounded the other "Gucci" guys i think were taking it far too serious.

I would have done the same then when respawned tried agained!!

• Supporters

grenade down the corridor and charge down on the bang :)

just out of curiosity what did you use to make the picture?

• AF-UK Founding Member

Do what you want that means you have fun. If they are obsessed with handling the scenario realistically then remind them the game is only a couple of hours (or much less) and not a war they are going to be in for several years. The risks you take are very different. Take a hostage situation. In real life you don't say 'oh they've been very clever and have the advantage on us here, let's not bother!'

@Rayzor Knocked up the graphic in 3Ds max and added the soldiers in photoshop after googling solider ;-)

Good man. The force is strong with this one.

I'll say it on as on video games I play I paid my money to play how I like not how you want me to play.

I would have done same as you

Archived