Comprehensive Ares AW .338 spring version (MSR-006/7/8) review.

Airsoft-Ed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

And I've been to Guildford and London, but that doesnt change the fact that i frigging love england and its army, and army issue weapons especially L96 platform :P:)
Also, im glad if you liked your trip, I like northern parts of turkey as well, rather than south parts, have you been to whole north deadsea shoreline ?

Back to the topic btw :D

• Supporters

I've only ever been abroad to Portugal and Australia, unless you count Dubai and Singapore whilst the plane was refuelling...?

ANYWAY!

I've managed to more or less fix mine, been playing around with it for about... 7 hours I think. Mags still aren't seating properly, but it's not filling the cylinder area with BBs and crushing them anymore, and it's actually firing as well.

What I'd advise is NEVER slap the mags in, that's how I damaged my feeding tube (that holds the 25 bbs) and started all my annoying problems.

The VSR parts that fit are the hop bucking and arm, pistons, springs and spring guides.

The cylinder, cylinder head and trigger parts are proprietary as far as I know. We'll just have to wait for some trigger upgrades to come out, though PDI have made a cylinder set for it, but it's for 350fps set ups (so it's basically worthless).

The barrel is an L96 cut though, so you can at least get a better barrel and hop for it. It's actually very consistent in terms of the fps right out of the box, so it might be alright with a new barrel and hop. Mine was appallingly bad out of the box though, got maybe 10 hits over 2 games with it, all from around 20m away and only 2 people took the hit. Then it broke.

Now I've got an upgraded piston, spring and spring guide fitted it's actually doing alright, shooting with relative accuracy out to about 60 or so metres.

Your measurements sound about right by the way, 25m - 120m sounds fair game with 550fps at your disposal.

Also, sears are part of the trigger mech, they're basically the parts that lock the piston in the rear position and stop you being able to fully pull the bolt assembly out. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. I'm new to sniping too.

As for worrying about the trigger, mine's still alright, there are signs of wear, but I don't think it's going to give out too soon. Maybe hold off ramping it up to 550 immediately though, I've got mine around 450 at the minute.

I think that's everything you asked covered, let me know if I missed anything, or you need anything clarifying.

Thanks for the swift response mate,

well now that i know i have to spend a lot more to get this baby a decent accuracy and range it seems...
as I said, I'll chrono it this sunday, and ill post it here too clarify ASG's out of box specs; but still if its 400-415ish something that wont be satisfying, if i get a 450ish-475ish spring with a guide and a hop unit , barrel , it means that the sear and trigger will hold for a quite a bit right ? or am I too optimistic ? :D

and also, if there is no possible mods or upgrades to the sear or trigger box, I wonder, did you opened up the trigger box ? is there anything that can be done to reinforce it ?

• Supporters

I can't say with certainty how long the trigger will last, but it ought to hold up.

The trigger mech looks the same as the HFC VSR 11 one, so you could always buy one of those and hope that the parts fit, so you can just keep swapping them out if they break.

Many thanks mate, will post after i get chrono / accuracy details , and after I start modding by your guide .

till then, take care,
cheers :)

• Supporters

I haven't yet, but I've been thinking about it, not looked into it though.

I want a copy of the proper L115A3 suppressors, which are fooooookin' mahoosive.

• Supporters

If your flash hider is the same as mine, then unscrew the screw that's at the bottom of it, and then see if the front part of it unscrews from the rest of it. Mine does and underneath that is a 14mm clockwise thread for silencers.

Hello guys, I Chrono'd it this sunday ;

400 FPS with .20 bbs, and 340-370 with .28bb's which i use...

I got some good kills, its decent , tho when played in forest ambush scenarios, it jammed on me couple times, also the bolt crushing bb's, bb's hitting flash hider and getting stuck in it, obstructing barrel problems occured... I opened it up according to your guide and cleaned , maintenanced it with some silicone oil...

seems you are right and it is a problem toy, nevertheless, ill keep using it as a perfect toy, a perfect L115,

will keep u guys updated if anything occurs...
and will ask for help also when modding,

Till then, take care mates, and cheers

Hi guys,

I'm french and I try to speak english. Only try. I've bought this rifle too because all forums say that it's really great. I have no mag problem, I don't put any upgrade yet but I think I've a hop up problem. I've increased the hop up to the max and my BB go down really quickly. (nerly 40m/132foot with hop up max!). Is it normal? What upgrades can i do to have a great sniper? I was thinking to put a 6.01 barrel PDI and the Ares cylinder/piston/spring upgrade kit. Good idea? And what else?

Thanks for answer !

• Supporters

If you can find the Ares upgrade kits, then feel free to try one, I can't find any in stock anywhere in the UK. I'd quite like to give the CO2 conversion kit a go as well.

I was going to get a PDI barrel for it just the other day, but the shop were out of stock =[

As for the hop, with mine I have to have the screw so loose it's almost falling out, otherwise it over hops everything - I put a hop up nub from an AEG in the hop unit to give it better lift. It seems to have had the desired effect, and then some lol.

Your English is very good by the way.

And regarding the sears, I'm still struggling to find anything that I know will fit. The trigger sear from a VSR will fit, but the one it comes with seems pretty decent as well.

The part I'm worried about breaking the most is the spring guide stopper. The piece you can pull out of the trigger mech to get the bolt out without taking the trigger mechanism off. But I'm not sure if any other ones fit.

Thanks for my english but don't hesitate to correct me!

Thanks for your answer and grant me a few of your time.

I'm sorry but I haven't understand all your "hop up" part. Your hop up work well, why my is bad? Can I do something?

For the Barrel PDI you can find it on X-fire if you want, and the ares upgrade kit is on the Ares website. I have send an email to the support and they say that I can buy the kit for about 80 euro and it's look really good quality. So I will when my money will be ok..

I've already open my rifle but I don't reconized what is the spring guide stopper. But with 500 fps you say it will break, do you know if we can consolidate it? Or change it?

Thanks again for your help, I felt so alone before!

• Supporters

Inside my hop, I've added hop up nub from an AEG - the little rubber piece that pushes down on the rubber.

One of these: http://www.airsoftgi.com/images/pic-034-bb-hop-up-rubber.jpg - the little black piece.

I have to unscrew the hop adjuster screw until it's almost completely out of the gun to avoid shots flying high all the time, so it works well. Though I've only tried it with .3g bbs and I'm only shooting a little over 400fps. If you use heavier BBs, or run the gun at a higher fps, it might work differently.

The piece I'm worried about is the spring guide stopper, one of these: http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4913/guide2nn0.jpg the red piece, it looks like this when it's out of the gun: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/controlpanel/shoppics/DK-PT-SGS.JPG

I would buy the one in the last link, but I'm not sure whether it will fit or not. I'll have to take the gun apart again and get some proper photos of it to compare them. Though it is meant for a VSR, and since the trigger sears fit, I imagine that piece will too.

Okay, thanks!

So I will try to traffic my hop up. If I've understand, the hop up nub serves to put down the rubber. So y can try to put something which do that in my hop up. I use 0,36BB I find they are really good. I hope it will work. I was just shocked because I have read the original hop up is really good and mine don't work well..

For the spring guide stopper, I think both match. If you buy it, i will be interessed to know if it works. On the third link, it seems really good quality.

• Supporters

You're right about what the hop up nub does ^_^

Though "traffic" isn't a word that fits the sentence if you use the common definition. I can understand how you could have got traffic if you're using a translator though, as it can be a business term meaning to trade with, or swap. Swapping your hop up does make sense.

Otherwise, it all makes sense, well done, I wish I could write French as well as you write English, it makes me feel quite ignorant at times.

Anyway though, I'm thinking of buying the PDI version of the spring guide stopper from the last link, it's basically the same except £6 less lol. I just need to understand more about springs first. I want to buy as many things at once, from the same place, as possible, to save money on postage.

Oh sorry for this mistake! And me I wish speak english like you! English work everywhere and French only in.. French.

I use translator for words I don't know and It doesn't work all times x). So I will try to swapping my hop up !

Ok, I will keep you informed of my swapping, and you keep me informed to your !

I finally got around to try to fix the slam firing on this gun, I purchased the shs vsr sear, the curly one( never remember the correct name, trigger sear I think) it fits fine and for a short while, well half a game had no probs. however now slam firing again. Looking at the piston sear it is very well worn and can't find anything that looks the same. As for upgrade kit, you can purchase direct from ares, I did and not a bad price. Also if you contact them with the part number they will send you the replacement parts as well. But not free of charge :-( but still you can at least replace the parts that have gone. I had asked if they will be doing reinforced sears, but was told not at the moment. Shame really as the sears are crappy pot metal and as such in having to speak to done milling people to see if they can make them. This is one expensive rifle that at the original price should have had a decent trigger box.

• Supporters

How long was it before your's started slam firing? Mine's been close a few times, the bolt hasn't locked back properly, but an extra tug put it right.

The steel PDI spring guide stopper that I ordered does fit into the trigger mech with a bit of hammering, but the gun doesn't fit around it once it's in, because the lip that stick out for you to pull it out is too big and catches on the inside of the body.

Going to get the saws out on it next time I've got them handy. My trigger sear, the one that actually holds the piston, is still completely fine, there's wear on it but I'm fairly confident it's not going to fail all that soon.

Being able to order direct from Ares is reassuring.

In other news, my hop unit can't lift .43s, I have to dial it on so much that it blocks the barrel.

Solutions?

Mine started slam firing after 2 games, I purchased the upgrade kit and a 170 spring from ares. I new the standard sears would not last for ever but I hoped would last more than 2 games. Mine is fine pulling back it slams when I push forward. My spring guide stopper looks ok but has some serious chunks removed from the side of it from rubbing so will need to replace along with the trigger sear, is it. The one at the back that realises the piston, has a lot of ware to. As for your hop up prob try installing a rhop. I was shooting .4g bb out to about 100mtr. I would always recommend this for any sniper.

• Supporters

I still don't even understand what R-Hop is, I've heard the term thrown around but the name seems to bare no relation to the actual thing. It's not like when you hear people say "H-nub" and stuff, that makes sense...

• Supporters

R-Hop is basically a rubber patch that sits perfectly in your hop window on the barrel, and then the hop bucking goes over it, as normal but with the little 'nub' on the inside of it removed. Then rather than using a traditional nub, you use a soft one that is flat and covers the entire length of the R-Hop patch/hop window, so even pressure is applied across the whole R-Hop.

The idea behind it is to provide longer and more stable contact with the BB, meaning it has more stable flight.

Because of the extended contact, the BB has more backspin and therefore the hop doesn't have to be on as much to lift heavier BBs.

There is also an ER-Hop, which is the same as the R-Hop, but with a lengthened hop window on the barrel and a lengthened hop unit, so they will have to be custom cut to use this.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.