What would happen if...

nicholas-c
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, Simple one and curious what your answers would be... Me and my house mate play airsoft (duh) and we have taken to wearing Serpa holsters on our belts. However my housemate being poor with his kit admin left his on; with his pistol after the last game we played, we stopped off at a pub on the way home and as we got out the car I noticed a pistol smiling at me as we walked across the car park. He quickly ran back to the car to whip it off and place it in his kit. However it got us talking... Would anyone notice? I imagine they would. It was clearly on show and how much trouble could he have been looking at?

Thanks

Nick

Well if anyone actually noticed and the popo were called, he'd still be charged with carrying a weapon in a public place, possession of a firearm etc.

Punishment might be reduced if it were an actual mistake but its still a serious offence, no matter the circumstances.

• Supporters

If anyone spotted the pistol and called the police then you would either have the ARU burst into the pub or be waiting for you outside.

At the very leat your mate would get one hell of a bollocking and probably a caution or court appearance.

Worst case scenario would be if he moved his hand towards the pistol after being challenged - could end up a bit `brown bread' (dead).

• AF-UK Founding Member

'What if' questions are never very easy to answer. I think the best thing we can say in this thread is that once you finish a game to ensure that you have taken everything off and look as average as possible. Even still being all dressed up without any weapons will still overly scare some people.

Worst case scenario = shot and some poor copper will have the guilt of killing some numpty who didn't think.

Best case scenario = what actually happened. ;)

There are varying levels of "oh poo!" In between the above however.

I'm a Londoner and its not unusual to see armed police in certain areas. The US embassy routinely has British guards with MP5's, and in Kensington/Victoria near certain embassy's you'll see armed police on the street. I frequently see unmarked police cars with sirens strapped on the roof tearing round the streets. If I spotted a lad in the pub with a rig and pistol my first thought would be "undercover" and it's possible others might too, simply because armed law enforcement aren't that uncommon here. That said a pint in hand certainly works against him.

Perhaps the fact he had it in a rig rather than in hand made a difference, even so he was lucky. The De Menezes case shows you don't even have to have a weapon to get shot by SO19

i recently crossed the road in my small village carrying ( in plain sight ) my .22 air rifle with the barrel broken, got in my van and drove away. 2 hours later my dad called me to say that the police had been round to see me as a neighbour had reported the incident telling them she had seen a man with a rifle in the village. ( yes it took them TWO HOURS to turn up!! ) upon finding me absent they left and i have heard nothing more about it. i made some enquiries with the local bobbies and had a good chat with with the guy responsible for fire arms crime in the bucks area, who told me there is nothing illegal about walking down your local high street with an unloaded air rifle even if clearly on display and not in a rifle case! i was amazed by this. it turns out all they wanted from me was proof that it was an air rifle and not something more serious and to ask for a bit more discretion in the future as they would rather not have to come out for such a petty matter ( fair enough ). RIF's on the other hand are a whole different matter due to the realistic immitation! basically what it comes down to is dont take chances if you dont want to get shot :(

p.s. im pretty sure i know who reported me and there is bad blood between us, got to love small village politics.

Archived