3 point slings, good idea bad idea?

00weswyc00
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

ok so i just bought myself a viper kit three point sling and to be honest, upon installation on my src gen3 g36 im struggling to use it. there was no instructions with it so i watched a few you tubes and got the general idea but still no real joy in the way it hangs when not in use. so basically what im asking is

whats the point?

am i doing it wrong? are they no good on my rifle or simply no good at all? please feel free to tell me im a muppet, i often am! all advice welcome, thanks.

Works fine with my G36 (A propper G36 not the G36c)

TBH short weapons are better off with single point slings. Have to use 3 point on the G36 otherwise the barrel is just scraping along the floor :P

Mine works fine on an M16, but I wouldn't use it on my G&G CM16 Raider S as it would hang down too far. As Tariq said, anything short is better with a single point.

The SA80 sling is a 3 point and that seems to work well with our troops, so long as you unclip the front when going into action.

• Supporters

Yeah, if you're wearing it right then I found it works great with an L85. I can imagine it working alright with a G36C though.

You want to fasten the loop on the same end as the QD clip to the front of the rifle and the other loop at the back. Then it will look like a two point sling, but you can separate it out, so you sort of have a 2 point sling on a 2 point sling, if that makes sense.

Then you put your head and trigger arm through the loop created and that's it. With the clip at the front fastened you'll have it able to hang on your front or back without much movement if you get the adjustment right. Then when you need more movement, simply unfasten the clip and it in effect, turns the sling into a one point, mounted in two places.

It's exactly the same principle as the original L85 3 point sling, so if you're having trouble visualising what I've written, there are a few videos on YouTube showing how to use the L85 sling.

I found that I couldn't get it to hang right on my G33 either, loved it on my M4, fantastic and useful piece of kit. But on the G33, because of the positioning of the rear sling mount even with the use of an RIS sling mount on the front I couldn't quite get it to hang comfortably. I resorted to simply using a one point sling. As has already been said, they function far better on smaller weapons as otherwise the extra support of the 3 point is mostly unneccessary and the single point sling is simply easier to use and works better with the common sling points found on shorter weapons like that.

just returned from a weekend sesh at my mates cottage in wales, 5 guys armed to the teeth, half a mountain of private property, a 4x4 300cc quadbike and a shedload of bb's. im sure u will all agree a great way to spend a weekend!
:D
i got the sling working well enough for use but i have to admit that a 1 point does seem like a better option as i still had a lot of movement going on when running and it did make it difficult to hit the floor without it getting in the way. may have to re-asses my load out and think it through a bit better before next time. thanks for the advice everyone.

• Supporters

What a 3-pt essentially does is allow you the functionality of a 1 and 2-pt combined (kinda.. just with a lot of extra straps).

If you want a 1-pt for the times when the action's heating up but like the idea of a 2-pt for the more sedate/patrol type portions of your games then look at the Magpul MS2/MS3 (or any other adaptable sling, they're just the most common).

I opt the basic 1pt sling as like you I really struggled with a 3pt. I'm using a G36 and UMP which are fundamentally the same, and I just found the 3pt got in the way, especially when swinging the stock shut for tight CQB. If I'm really honest a probably dont need any sling at all, as the guns are light enough. I just use it more for show ;-)

• Supporters

I've used a 3 point sling on G36C's plenty of times and got on fine with them. I think the trick is to wear it quite tight, so that there is only exactly enough slack to allow you to shoulder it. If you need any more slack, undo the QD buckle. I like to be able to let go of the gun completely and have it stay on my chest, for times when I want to drink, smoke, fiddle with pyro's, etc., but yeah, I can't crawl on my belly with it like that without unclipping the QD buckle.

i have moved onto a one point now and am finding it easier to use, still not sure if a sling is the solution im looking for though my current thinking is that im gona change my loadout, if im gona be using my sniper then i think soemting like an mp5 would be better suited as a secondary rather than the g36c and keep the g36c for assault purposes. all depends on the style of gameplay im after. it seems to me that skirmishing with a sniper is only for the extremely patient, which i can be if the gamezone is large but automatic fire kicks ass over bolt if u intend to be in the thick of the action. im leaning more towards mil sim than skirmish though so im not gona give up on the sniper just yet. thanks for all ur advice people.

Archived