Another M4 topic...

AirsoftTed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, as some of you may know as you've helped me before, I'm assembling a USMC force recon loadout which is almost finished.

I've got to my primary, and its going to be an M4, I want to recreate the one in this picture as closely as possible but understand sacrifices may need to be made due to the picture not being the clearest.

1pxc94.jpgII think it looks like it may be an M4 with RIS that has a top mounted PEQ box, side rail covers and an m203 on the bottom.

Anyone have any knowledge on the FR and know whats typical?

If not I will go with this idea, but being my second AEG, I'm still not that knowledgable.

I've looked into G&P after hearing wonders about their externals, but I'm attracted to the performance of G&G of which I've had a raider.

I'm looking for a Metal gun, ideally with Marine markings, such as this one :

http://landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/G-P-M4-RAS-6-Position--GP_AEG033.html#.URAUZmf6lfY

Any reviews of the G&P? Also, would it be the best gun for the project?

Thanks,

Teddy

I don't think it is a PEQ box, it could be the M203 distance sight thing as in this photo.

M4A1%20%20M2%20%20M203%204.jpg309b05c7-b38e-4205-981d-1db26453b71cLarge.jpg

It also looks as if it is Barrel mounted as in the photo above but you can get RIS mounted ones. It may be easier to get an RIS M4 with and mount an M203 onto it and a PEQ box on top with some rail covers on the side to tidy it up, but it just depends on what you prefer and how close to the photo you want to stick.

As for G&G vs G&P I don't really know as I am not an M4 kind of guy, but I sure there are plenty of M4 geeks who can help you out here.

It may not even be an M4, it could be one of the predecessors like the colt 727 as the carry handle looks like it can't be removed, but then again the photo quality isn't the best. Do you know when the photo was taken?

Hi Dan,

I hadn't even thought of that, I had considered it being mounted as in your picture and I think that is what I would prefer anyway.

Now that you mention it, the curve in the end of the carry handle makes me think it could possibly be a colt 733 or similar.

Unfortunately I have no idea of when the photo was taken, its hard to date as the USMC to this day use ALICE webbing in training.

I am really reluctant to share this with you because I want one myself but you seem like a nice guy.

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/tr16_a2_carbine.html

I can't find many reviews on it so I don't know what it is like but I love the older style Colt carbines with not a scrap of RIS on it, (complete opposite with AK's though, weird, I know) but I really want to make a Black hawk down style Colt Commando with the handle mounted RIS for an aimpoint.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with this company, but that is a crazy price for a fully metal top tech, if the description is to be believed.

Yea Dan's look pretty good. Looks like its Basically a M4A1, with a front RIS with rail cover and a M203 barrel mounted (RIS mounted M203s only exist in airsoft) and on top it'll be a leaf sight for the M203, its too small for a PEQ.

However due to the poor photo quality and not knowing the age I can't tell if it is definitely a M4A1 or an older colt commando. If its the latter then it wouldn't have a RIS

I'll do some more digging and see what I can find

Going off the fact that they are wearing MARPAT which was introduced 2002-2004 and the M4A1 was in serive in the late 1990's I think its a safe assumption that they are M4s. Also by judging how far the handguard comes down over the M203's barrel mount I would also think it is a RIS with rail covers as the top is flat

Thanks Guys, I made the same assumptions as you Nick. For practicality, would you suggest a dummy PEQ box instead?(To hold the battery). I don't imagine I'd be using the leaf sight unless those new ICS grenades make it to UK sites...

If RIS '203s only exist in airsoft, how do they fit them onto RIS type rifles? Would it be possible to replicate this in order to attach then no railed type to a gun with an RIS in order to achieve the same look as in the picture?

If all else fails, I'll just go with the RIS mounted '203 on a G&P m4, then as the internals break down, replace them with better ones?

• Supporters

This is about the closest airsoft replica to the rifle that guy has (within the realms of reasonable priced AEGs):

http://www.fire-supp...-ras-6-position

Buy a long type G&P barrel mounted mounted M203 with the appropriate bracket and choose between a leaf sight and a PEQ, the battery should be stored in the buffer tube rather than the handguard but you can ring F-S to double check that.

I say 'long type' M203 because there's also a short type which is the one usually used on M4s, but your man there has the longer one usually used on M16s. You also need to make sure you get an M4 with the cut in the barrel to accept the forward mounting bracket for the 203. Check the AEG I've linked to see this.

(RIS mounted M203s only exist in airsoft)

They exist, they just look different to the airsoft ones.

To my owd Eyes with saved Photo on full mag the front Sight looks like one of those H & K flip up type jobbies??

• Supporters

I'd say that's a standard USGI A-frame front sight/gas block, it's just the low res picture obscuring some of the sloped portion.

Apart from anything, even being FR, guys like that probably wouldn't change their front sight blocks even if they were allowed; it's one of the key operating parts within the gas system of the rifle. Even less likely back when that photo was taken and the world was far less gucci and hi-speed compared to how it is now.

Well, thats me got a plan then. Thanks CK!

Luckily enough, I should have exactly the right amount to purchase the whole project, plus postage once I finish selling the gear I'm getting rid of. :)

Thanks again for all the help guys,

I'll let you know how I get on with this loadout when its finished!

All the best,

Teddy

• Supporters

When was the Photo taken? Those Desert Wellies look a bit modern.

Those desert boots have been issued for yonks, not modern at all really.

Given that they're in MARPAT and ALICE gear rather than Coyote Brown plate carriers it's something in the region of 10 years ago.

If RIS '203s only exist in airsoft, how do they fit them onto RIS type rifles? Would it be possible to replicate this in order to attach then no railed type to a gun with an RIS in order to achieve the same look as in the picture?

Basically you have to use the RIS that uses delta rings and you take off the bottom section and attach to the bare barrel, if you look at dan's photo its the same except with a RIS instead of the normal handguard

like this (its actually pretty much what you're after except the carry handle instead of the aimpoint M4m203_afmil.jpg

Also if it hasn't been said before go with G&P over the G&G, externals are much better

I'm gonna go with the RIS style Dan; Loadouts having a bit of a set back at the moment though :(

Boughta set of MARPAT BDU's about a month ago but started going to the gym two weeks ago... Within two weeks I have managed to gain two inches round the waist, meaning the trousers no longer fit and the shirt doesn't either as my arms and shoulders have filled out :(

Shame really, tried them on at purchase, they were fine so I removed the tags... Now going to have to make a loss on them and start the loadout from pretty much scratch as my Boonie is too small also.

On the bright side, I got my ALICE webbing today and have adjusted it so it fits perfect!

You could always sell the marpat On this Forum and make some of it back. You must be doing something wrong at the gym, after a few months there I came back two inches less about the waist lol.

Archived