Cold weather and AEG's = FPS loss and midcap failures?

NickM
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Right so I played yesterday and everyone on site seemed to have a 40 to 50 fps drop from their normal with AEG's (gas guns weren't working at all).

I had thought that cold weather didn’t have much of an effect on the FPS of an AEG as its simply compressing air and the ambient temp shouldn’t alter the volume of air delivered to the bb. But many of the other guys were saying the cold will have an impact.

Is this right? I can understand ROF changes perhaps and battery issues, but not the FPS unless temp has an effect on springs.

Saying that my midcaps packed up on me as well, bbs just dribbled out, they’ve probably each had about 6 or 7 days use and the springs don’t seem to be showing any signs of wear or of being overly compressed to new. They are always emptied at the end of the last game.

• Supporters

The fps will be affected due to the hop rubber, as the rubber gets softer/harder with temperature change

No idea on the midcaps though :huh:

Hop rubber hardening might be an issue, but should be a short lived one, the hop should warm up after a few rounds through it.

I'd be more inclined to suspect some kind of fault with the chrono used.

• Supporters

The temperature will affect how air behaves under compression. TBH I can't remember enough physics right now to say why, but I've noticed AEG's getting a bit more powerful as the day heats up a bit before. Not by 40-50 FPS though!

• Supporters

Hmm, it was a weird day, I'm going to strip the mags and lube them when I can get my hands on some proper silicone spray. The hop was a bit weird, with it all the way off I was getting flat trajectories for the majority of shots, 1 out of 5 was a flier, it was going up within about 5m of exiting the barrel. I need to have another play with it though and probably get some PTFE tape on it.

Archived