battery charging question

seanycozzie24v
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

another question i have a 9.6v 3700mah battery and a charger that charges at 300ma. how do i know the batterys actually charging? because if i plug the charger int the wall with out a battery no light comes on but if i plug a battery in it turns red. the funny thing is though. if the charger is unplugged and i plug the battery in the red light comes on??

heres all the info from the charger

constant current source

model bt02340

pri 230v~50hz 11.3w

SEC 1.2v~12v...~

50ma-80ma-120ma-180ma-240ma-300ma 3.6VA (MAX)

The easiest way is to either borrow or buy a multimeter to check the voltage (try Maplins if you don't have one). Take a reading before you charge it and another after. If the voltage has increased then the charger is working. A fully charged 9.6V battery should give a reading of about 11.2V.

The equation for working out the total charge time is: mAh of battery x 1.5 (if a NihM) divided by charge rate = hours, so for your battery it's 3700 x 1.5 / 300 = 18.5 hours (from fully discharged). If the voltage was, say, 9.8V before charging then you could probably knock 4-5 hours off that time.

Archived