Beginners Set Up - Help me out?

rez
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey fellas,

Just had my first skirmish, and gotta say it was totally awesome. However, today showed I definitely need some of my own kit! I have DPM BDU's and a DPM shirt, Mechanix MPact gloves and face protection, but there are some other parts I need! I am just looking for a good chest rig or plate carrier at the moment, so what would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend TOOOO much money, but I'm a big guy so I need something that's nice and adjustable!

Also, could you leave me some recommendations for a nice, metal M4 at around £200? I will need to wait for my UKARA till I can get this so I have a white to decide yet! :)

Thanks guys!

Tactical tailor stuff is used by law enforcement, security contractors and special forces, have a look at their stuff, £50-£60 for a full size molle chest rig http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/tactical-tailor-mav-vest-body-2-piece-1725-p.asp there's also the 'G' series chest rigs, this one is in DPM and has integrated mag pouches as well as molle http://www.badgertac.com/products/tactical/green-army/torso/g1098-sabre-platform.html

As for pouches, Begadi make tough, cheap pouches if you need accessory/mag pouches.

Have a look at G&G Combat machines, they're quite good at £130-£150 leaving you money to buy internal upgrades and internal parts.

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/m4_and_m14_variants.html

Have a look at Flecktarn. The Bulle branded gear is fantastic value for money and good quality. I have one of these and it's lasted ages, although the Olive Drab one is £15 more expensive, which might look a bit better with DPM.

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/sdtmb6nx.html

As for a gun, have a look at what you see at skirminshes then go from there. Lots of different manufacturers make similar guns, but £200 is a little low for some of the "quality" brands, so you'd be looking at cheaper Chinese models.

Guest WhiteDeath

Lots of different manufacturers make similar guns, but £200 is a little low for some of the "quality" brands, so you'd be looking at cheaper Chinese models.

G&G have a fantastic range of high quality,low cost weapons for £200-£110,outperforming Cheap Chinese guns in accuracy and build quality.Why go for CYMA or JG with these little bastards running about?

OP,Here's a good full metal M4:

http://www.airsoftworld.net/gc-16-gandg-full-metal-comabat-machine-m4a1.html

G&G have a fantastic range of high quality,low cost weapons for £200-£110,outperforming Cheap Chinese guns in accuracy and build quality.Why go for CYMA or JG with these little bastards running about?

OP,Here's a good full metal M4:

http://www.airsoftwo...chine-m4a1.html

Yeah that looks quite nice man, thanks! I dont mind spending more than £200, just not too much more :P

Have a look at Flecktarn. The Bulle branded gear is fantastic value for money and good quality. I have one of these and it's lasted ages, although the Olive Drab one is £15 more expensive, which might look a bit better with DPM.

http://www.flecktarn...k/sdtmb6nx.html

As for a gun, have a look at what you see at skirminshes then go from there. Lots of different manufacturers make similar guns, but £200 is a little low for some of the "quality" brands, so you'd be looking at cheaper Chinese models.

That looks good to me! Think I'm gonna go ahead and get that, it will certainly work well until I decide on a specific loadout style! That will be months from now knowing me haha.

I feel that with all your bashing of Chinese guns I should mention G&G are made in Taiwan which is only very slightly better. Also G&G CM are generally not that good. You might as wells spend a little more and get a plastic ICS.

Also Cyma AK's are some of the best regarded around. I know many veteran airsofters who still decide to use Cyma AKs.

G&G Combat Machines are phenomenal, for just over a hundred pound you can get a gun that runs with all the classic G&G efficiency, it could do with upgrades, sure, but for such a cheap rifle out of the box they have lovely range and a decent rate of fire, as well as pretty nice externals for a polymer body. Except for that god awful white logo on the magwell, otherwise I really couldn't reccommend these more. I can't comment on the ICS sportsline range, though I can say the ICS G33 (can usually be had for about £220) amazed me with it's fantastic performance.

Are you set on a plate carrier/vest? Because I have a set of like new DPM Airborne webbing for £40 - 50 if you're interested

The warrior RICAS or RICAS Compact are awesome plate carriers, a bit pricy but you can buy the PC by itself with no pouches and then make your own set up :) Or try and get one 2nd hand and they're really cheap (got mine for £70 which would have cost me £130 new, included the PC, 4 open M4 mag pouches, 3 double, plus a utility and radio pouch).

http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/Warrior_RICAS_Compact.html

Cheers for the replies gents, really helpful! I've been looking into WE's m4 Aeg, seems like a nice starter gun that I can gradually upgrade! Any thoughts?

Also, any ideas for a sidearm? I was looking at the kwa glocks, but I feel like they are a bit, plain? I'm a sucker for tan guns (plan to add tan components to the m4) so does anyone know any decent tan and black side arms available? I feel like this will fit in with my first load out pretty well.

One other thing, what mags should i be looking at getting? I wan't to get a few cheap ones for the time being I think, then when my loadout is coming together get a nice set of ten or so mid-caps. If I was to get the WE M4 Aeg, what would be a good set of mags to get for cheap? Any good cheapies that exceed expectations?

Last thing haha, where can I pick up mtp camo? I like dpm but I feel like mtp is just way cooler looking hahaha. I don't wanna spend LOADS on my camo, as I'm currently losing weight at a pretty rapid rate and my clothes keep getting too big for me! (not that I'm complaining hahaha) If anyone else has any camo recommendations I'd appreciate it a lot!

So yeah, thanks for the help chaps!

• Supporters

In honesty to start out if your budget is a bit tight (and it sounds like it is) I wouldn't bother with a side arm, in most games mine doesn't get a look in and it's just taking money away from your main-gun budget!

MTP can be found on Ebay and in surplus stores around the country, though beware, it isn't as cheap as DPM!

In honesty to start out if your budget is a bit tight (and it sounds like it is) I wouldn't bother with a side arm, in most games mine doesn't get a look in and it's just taking money away from your main-gun budget!

MTP can be found on Ebay and in surplus stores around the country, though beware, it isn't as cheap as DPM!

Been given £100 ish to play with for a sidearm (hooray for birthdays) and most of my other costs are covered, so it seemed like a good addition?

how about this.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=267_314_428&products_id=8236

KJ Works do a OD and black glock but not a tan one.

Keep an eye on ebay for MTP as sometimes you can get a bargain. But for the most part MTP is still way over priced for what it is.

I was actually looking at that in a local shop mate, I like it quite a bit, but have heard some negative things about WE? Has anyone got any more info on this? as I was looking at the WE m4 (aeg version) as my first rifle.

• Supporters

If you're set on buying a side arm I can highly recommend Tokyo Marui pistols, they're mostly plastic but they're extremely reliable, very efficient with gas and always solid performers regardless of weather. That said, if you want a TM you'll need to stretch your pistol budget a little bit or buy second hand.

Buy cheap, buy twice!

A mate has a WE glock 17 and it lovely.

My glock is a KSC and has never missed abeat. TM pistols are good but plastic and weigh nothing.

Think your pretty safe with new WEs, KSC/KWA or TM.

As for a first rifle if its an M4 you are after then I'd say the G&P (cheapest is around £240) as their M4 range is hard to beat for all round performance out of the box. Only thing i have done to mine is fit a Guarder hop rubber. this gave it far better range and is a respectable 335FPS.

A mate has a WE glock 17 and it lovely.

My glock is a KSC and has never missed abeat. TM pistols are good but plastic and weigh nothing.

Think your pretty safe with new WEs, KSC/KWA or TM.

As for a first rifle if its an M4 you are after then I'd say the G&P (cheapest is around £240) as their M4 range is hard to beat for all round performance out of the box. Only thing i have done to mine is fit a Guarder hop rubber. this gave it far better range and is a respectable 335FPS.

Gonna have a look into those then mate, thanks for the info. How much roughly will I be spending on a battery, charger and set of mags? I think this will ultimately be the deciding factor in what gun I buy, since it will leave me with a more clearer idea of how much I've got to spend!

My G&P runs on 7.4v Lipos and they are £15-£20 each. A good charger is not cheap but a must IMO.

this is what i have

charger:

http://www.airsoftgames.com/imax-battery-balance-charger-p-1127.html

Batteries:

http://www.airsoftgames.com/smart-power-1100mah-lipo-battery-p-1114.html

Issue is it will depend on what gun you get as to what battery you will need. I have only ever used G&P or magpul mags and neither are on the cheap side!

I'd keep an eye out on the various forum sales sections for mags. Will be cheaper.

As said before if you're on tight budget really don't worry about a side arm. However if you have about £100 the TM Colt pythons are brilliant. I use one, holds 24rds, not magazines to get lost and you don't need to worry about keeping the side lubbed up.

I also second the bit about G&Ps. If you've got the money they're well worth it!

As for gear, Warrior Assault Systems (WAS) are brilliant for the money but prepared to fork out about £100 for a loaded plate carrier. Have a look on the second hand sections as they normally turn up something good!

My G&P runs on 7.4v Lipos and they are £15-£20 each. A good charger is not cheap but a must IMO.

this is what i have

charger:

http://www.airsoftga...ger-p-1127.html

Batteries:

http://www.airsoftga...ery-p-1114.html

Issue is it will depend on what gun you get as to what battery you will need. I have only ever used G&P or magpul mags and neither are on the cheap side!

I'd keep an eye out on the various forum sales sections for mags. Will be cheaper.

Yeah I figured as much haha, guess its back to looking at that WE again. Been doing some mroe research on it and it has some solid reviews so for £190 ish so far it seems like a toss up between that and the metal G&G combat machine.

As said before if you're on tight budget really don't worry about a side arm. However if you have about £100 the TM Colt pythons are brilliant. I use one, holds 24rds, not magazines to get lost and you don't need to worry about keeping the side lubbed up.

I also second the bit about G&Ps. If you've got the money they're well worth it!

As for gear, Warrior Assault Systems (WAS) are brilliant for the money but prepared to fork out about £100 for a loaded plate carrier. Have a look on the second hand sections as they normally turn up something good!

I have actually been looking into the Warrior Ricas, because I'd rather spend a little more on something thats gonna last and fulfill my needs whatever situation arises. Plus, they look pretty damn awesome haha. What would you guys say is the most versatile colours, coyote tan or OD? I'm trying to decide which one I want, as I feel like I will be switching from DPM camo and Multicam a fair bit.

Quick edit: Just seen this http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/sdtmb4nx.html and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? I can see its a good bit cheaper than the warrior systems I was looking at, but will there be a HUGE drop in quality? I don't wanna have to go out and buy something else again after buying something, but I noticed on my first skirmish that having a nice chest setup would make life a heck of a lot easier. I spent way too much time fiddling about with the pockets on my BDU's haha.

• Supporters

I dunno if I'm too late or what, but before you go spanking a load of money on a vest or chest rig, before you've decided what sort of loadout you want to go for, maybe get something 2nd hand to be going on with? You'll get some idea what you want from kit that you buy later.

US Issue Style Vest - ignore the title of this auction, this has nothing to do with the SAS or any special forces, it's US Woodland pattern camouflage and the vest is made to carry 6 M4 STANAG mags and 2 grenades - it's lightweight and fully adjustable.

South African Style in black - you can get this style of vest in just about every type of camo and the more common ones are cheap as chips 2nd hand (the seller is living on cloud 9 putting a B.I.N. price of £30) - Here's 1 in DPM - you can get 12 STANAG mags just in the pouches designed specifically for them, then there's another front pouch which is described as utility which is the right shape for another 4. There are also 2 grenade pouches on the front, high up so they would be ok for a phone or radio, etc., plus 2 huge utility pouches on the sides and a double hydration pouch on the back - again fully adjustable.

Both of those vests would hold mags for G36, G3, SIG 552 & variants, Steyr AUG as well as NATO STANAG but not AK, MP5, M14

British Army Style - you can get 12 STANAG mags in the front lower 4 pouches, but also they will take just about any mag there is, even long thin mags like for the MP5 (tommy gun even!) because the flaps have sides and buckle down, 2 side pouches that can take even a 58 pattern water bottle & cup or just your gloves and 2 upper pouches that you could stuff with more mags, but will take pyros, your phone, radio, fags, lighter, sweets/chewing gum, tissues, speedloader/s, BFG/s, etc. Here is another one in better condition - ignore the title obviously (how anyone could think this is desert DPM is beyond me lol! - I've got one of the Marines varient of these and it's really comfy - like this and here's the same type in DDPM

This last one is a sort of hybrid British Army Style & Molle Platform and is a bit more expensive than those above (lol)

Edit to add: no I can't leave it alone yet - HERE is a DDPM Molle Vest & Pouches - check the price lol!

and HERE is a DPM Molle Vest & Pouches - more expensive but still not bad.

Archived