Repaint legal?

Sam555
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am thinking of painting my p799a shotgun either in black or camouflage but I am not sure if it is legal as it is an IF so it may look like a RIF. I will only use it in my back garden or round my friends house, so is this legal?

Yep must be 51%< bright colour, unless you have a defense like site memebership

While yes you are correct... It is however very much illegal to manufacture a RIF without a defense.. manufacturing a RIF includes painting a IF black or camo.

Guest WhiteDeath

Get some cotton camo tape and cover the gun with it,make sure you can remove it,put it on when going to games/matches with your mates.

Or you can use leaf mesh to place over your gun.

Guest WhiteDeath

No.

For it to be IF,it needs to be 51% bright colors.

A camo mesh or camo tape is the best option to conceal a IF gun for personal use,again,make sure it's removable.

Is it still IF if the gun is black but the end of the barrel is orange

No, it is a RIF if it is black with an orange flash hider.

An IF is when it has over 51% of the total gun a bright colour.

RIF - Replica Imitation firearm

IF - Imitation Firearm

Is it still IF if the gun is black but the end of the barrel is orange

Yes.

For it to be non-rif,it needs to be 51% bright colors.A camo mesh or camo tape is the best option.

Thought I'd let you know you just contradicted you're self there. If it still and IF, Yes, but and IF needs to be painted more... :/ When helping someone, especially on legal matters try to be crystal clear!

• Supporters

No, it is a RIF if it is black with an orange flash hider.

An IF is when it has over 51% of the total gun a bright colour.

RIF - Replica Imitation firearm

IF - Imitation Firearm

Wrong!

RIF = Realistic Imitation Firearm

IF = Imitation Firearm.

In reponse to the OP, unless you have a valid defence against the VCRA (such as membership of an airsoft site, a reenactment organisation or being a filmmaker) it would be illegal to paint your 2 tone gun black. It is correct that the VCRA does not legislate against owning, or even buying a RIF (it is the seller who is at fault if no defence is provided) manufacturing one is definitely a crime. That said, it'd be pretty hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt you had committed that crime.

At the end of the day it's your call, painting it is an offence and if you were caught could potentially harm the sport as a whole. Additionally, if you're just using it to plink targets in the back yard, who cares what colour it is?!

Shhh :)

realistic / replica Potato potarto.

im still recovering from friday, give me a break XD

look OP its your call, it is illegal to paint your gun black, but a f*** load of people do it anyway, if your willing to take the risk by all means go for it, but if you want to play it safe dont.

I feel I should put it this way... If you decide to paint it black or camo then you are​ committing a criminal offence and if you were caught you could in theory be punished to the full extent of the law by manufacturing a RIF without a defense to do so.

But as said before its your call.....

I am thinking of painting my p799a shotgun either in black or camouflage but I am not sure if it is legal as it is an IF so it may look like a RIF. I will only use it in my back garden or round my friends house, so is this legal?

Illegal.

Despite of what anyone says, it is also illegal to cover the bright parts with tape, mesh, leaves, or anything else, except for when you have a legal defense.

The correct term is indeed "realistic imitation firearm", however, Finius recommends to refer to it as a "replica imitation firearm" (source), not sure if it's intentional or a misprint however.

Covering it up to make it look like a real gun might seem fun at first. Less so when they decide on a right out ban on airsoft, or when the armed response unit puts a bullet thru your head for that sake. I am considering getting a two tone myself, with orange tip*, to use when not skirmishing, to cause minimal confusion.

*nothing to do with UK law, but it is more recognised. You cannot replace two toning with orange tip, you can add one, if you want to, to make it look even less like a real gun.

Odd thing though if you check out the VCRA it doesn't matter if you have an IF or a RIF in public without good cause. So even if you leave it bright orange (or blue, green, or whatever) treat it with the same respect as you would a fully realistic replica.

While the people in blue should spot it as a fake from the colour, you could have painted a 'real' one that colour so they are likely to treat it as real anyway. Also there are people out there who are quite aware of 'imitations' but think they are or should be illegal and will call the law on you.

Take reasonable precautions, hang things up to stop rebounds, cover it properly when travelling house to house and make sure you carry it unloaded. Prob worth discussing with your neighbours as well so if they see you they dont waste Police time reporting you.

Some people dont seem to realise if you were shooting a real gun in your garden it would be making rather more noise and leaving large holes in your fences...

Archived