Should i carry on?

xiJamesss
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, i used to airsoft and i started getting back into it a few months ago, still havnt played a game since i started again because its the money, but have got my gun, just not sorted. ( no battery yet ) i was wondering if i should just sell it and forget airsoft, its too much for a kid with no job because of the money. Im only 15, well i sort of have a job but its just not enough for airsoft and other hobbys, this feels like its just gonna break me again, and im never gonna have any money to do other things i like to do. I still wanna buy a pistol for 100 odd quid, i need camo but thats not too much of a problem yet, because i have got a tac vest, the airsoft sites near me are cheap (20 quid for a day at both) but thats still 20 every two weeks, which then i will have to buy bb's and all the gun maitenence and everying else, just someone try to motivate me to stay in it please? Cos i want to but if i cant then i just cant :/

Hi, i used to airsoft and i started getting back into it a few months ago, still havnt played a game since i started again because its the money, but have got my gun, just not sorted. ( no battery yet ) i was wondering if i should just sell it and forget airsoft, its too much for a kid with no job because of the money. Im only 15, well i sort of have a job but its just not enough for airsoft and other hobbys, this feels like its just gonna break me again, and im never gonna have any money to do other things i like to do. I still wanna buy a pistol for 100 odd quid, i need camo but thats not too much of a problem yet, because i have got a tac vest, the airsoft sites near me are cheap (20 quid for a day at both) but thats still 20 every two weeks, which then i will have to buy bb's and all the gun maitenence and everying else, just someone try to motivate me to stay in it please? Cos i want to but if i cant then i just cant :/

use airsoft as a treat for say when you have done an exam or worked really hard at some thing and you may find that your money stretches further.

• Supporters

First off if you wanted a cheap, stress free hobby . . . Airsoft ain't it :P

You don't HAVE to go to every game :P at one point I was doing 3 games a month, travelling to 2 of those, cost me around £90 a month plus petrol :o now I do 1 maybe 2 so I average £30 a month probably :)

And do you really NEED the pistol to enjoy playing? I doubt it, mines lucky if I use it once in a whole game day :P

Here's how I'd do it if I were you ;)

Buy a battery from component shop, around £15

http://www.component...4v_airsoft.html

If you want camo and don't mind dpm, get the £25 set from British military surplus

http://www.britishmi.../shopscr40.html

That should have you 'skirmish ready' for £40-£50, spread the cost over a month or 2 if necessary, then it's time to enjoy yourself :)

Only go once a month, £20 a month

I'm going to assume its £10 for 3000 bb's, and you use around half per game day, £10 every 2 months

Averages at £25 a month, less if you go every 2 months etc

That's all assuming your small income stretches far enough to cover everything else as well

Aaaaaand breath :P hope this helps

Hhaa well that was pretty helpful :L i got my eye on a pistol in this forum that i really want, that i will need because it will be my primary in some cqb's, seen it done and it just looks amazing :L but yeh the rest just helped alot really, cheers for all that, atleast i know its a more on the side thing for most people, if your only going to one a month, then yeh wallet grows over time :L cheers

• Supporters

i got my eye on a pistol in this forum that i really want

Which I hope you won't be breaking forum rules by buying ;)

atleast i know its a more on the side thing for most people, if your only going to one a month, then yeh wallet grows over time :L cheers

I'm an apprentice £4.50ph, driving 200ish miles a week just to get to work £50 a week on petrol :( I have other commitments as well, I airsoft regularly AND I'm in a relationship, my wallet certainly doesn't grow :P

What you want and what you can have are two completely different things. You want the pistol, but you do not need the pistol. You want to skirmish every other week, but you do not have to skirmish evey other week. Basically consider this moment to be a life lesson. Live within your means. Many people do not learn this lesson till they are in their early 20's and shackled with a few grands worth of debt they have some how accumulated and have bugger all to show for it except a hangover.

You have a choice, spend a little on a battery that will get you up and skirmishing, then go once a month and it will be great fun. Or you can blow all your money on a pistol then not be able to afford gas, bb's, or skirmishes and it will sit in a box under you bed gathering dust as you cannot afford to go and use it, so when you do, the mags will have dried out and it will be useless, you still don't have a battery for your main and you will have shelled out £20 for a days skirmishing for naff all return.

Have a think about it.

It doesn't really matter what hobby you have, it's going to cost money. It's all about staying within your own budget.

If you have a gun and mask you have most of it sorted. As above, a battery can be had for a tenner, a bottle of 6000 BBs for about the same. Woodland games I used to be getting through about 1000 rounds - that's still six months of ammo out of a big bottle if you go once a month. Playing semi only CQB I fire less than a few hundred a day, so a bottle will last several years!!!

Wear some old clothes and stick your mag in your pocket! if you're playing CQB then jeans and t-shirt aren't too out of place. Put money aside and save up for the pistol, if you can't afford one yet don't buy it!

Gun maintenance - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's a decent quality gun the only maintenance it will need it the odd spot of oil and it will be good for tens of thousands of rounds.

Don't go to every game if you can't afford it. Set a goal of treating yourself to a game once a quarter or once every couple of months! It's not compulsory to attend a game every week ;-) To be honest, I used to find that when I went every couple of weeks I stopped enjoying it. Now I only go once every couple of months (maybe 6 or 8 games a year!!!) and I really look forward to the day and enjoy it more.

Get a big jar and drop all your loose coins in it every day/week. After a couple of months you'll build up more than enough to afford a game day without even having to worry about it.

I've done proper airsoft and plinking for the past 2 years on £20 a month, before last august it was £10 a month. You want to know what I did? I took a leaf out of Stalins' book and set myself 5-month plans, made lists of what I need, worked out the total price of my current loadout and had a look at everything on offer. Before all this I tryed my mate's guns to see which model design I liked best and immediately liked his ICS MP5 (which I'll get the performance of it on my CYMA when my madbull barrel and hurricane tune up kit arrive).

I respect that you are having second thoughts about the sport, I find myself having them sometimes, but if you really think you can't financially support it quit.

I mean, you could just set aside money from birthdays/christmas etc for skirmishes.

My son is 14 and I am a single parent. We play once a month at our local site. My son does jobs around the house each week, which used to earn him £5 per week but now that pays for his game for that month. Consumables I pay for as I will use them as well and I have a pistol so use more BB's than him.

You don't have to go twice a month if you can't afford it. Once a month does us, though we would like to go to twice!

• Supporters

Good choice dude. Co2 runs really well for our weather. :)

I was running my WE F226 in -10 the other night for over 5 hours didnt have one problem with it i was just using extreme blowback gas

• Supporters

It's all about priorities. As people have said, you don't need to airsoft every weekend to enjoy it. As an absolute minimum, you really only need face protection, a battery and BB's to add to your cool gun. I'd tend to think that having aquired that gun, you're sort of committed.

I know I would have absolutely loved airsoft when I was 15, but it hadn't been invented. It would have been a similar dilemma for me though, because, with limited funds, the tough choices have to be made. Priorities...

At 15 mine was getting shagged.

• Supporters

What a lovely story, Ian.

• Supporters

I know I would have absolutely loved airsoft when I was 15, but it hadn't been invented.

Invented or become popular in the uk? Because the first one make you rather old :P

• Supporters

Aye, James, if I remember right that was the year after women were invented.

Before then we drilled a hole in the old flag pole...

And stood there quite contented.

Oh aye... and we won!

Archived