Which G36...? Project Development

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

OK, so I'm going to buy a new AEG soon and, although I prefer AK's, I have had an idea for a G36 project in the back of my mind for some time, where I had intended it to stay for the foreseeable future.

Recently however I've been looking into milsim events and something I noticed immediately was the inclusion of instructions such as "western weapons only", "no AK varients", etc., for one side/team. Which is fine; fcuk 'em, etc., except that I don't yet have any authentic Russian Federation or eastern camo/gear and, while I could easily put several types of guerilla fighter loadouts together from my ordinary clothes and bits of airsoft kit, the people with whom I would most like to team up are pretty well into their western kit and weapons. Hence I'm considering moving the G36 project from the back burner to the wok in my mind's hand...

In the fullness of time I intend it to consist of (from butt forward):

• The solid extendible folding stock rather than the skeleton type.
  • Rear & front wiring modified to allow for an 11.1V LiPo in the stock and the ability to plug in or bypass MOSFET's housed in the space where the front wired mini battery would usually fit.
  • The full size carry handle with integral scope, preferably 2x but possibly 3x, with rail on top at least above the scope for a red/green dot holographic sight, something like EOTech 551.
  • A receiver which can withstand being fallen and/or rolled on by a fat bastard.
  • A high speed motor and quiet gearbox, so including bearings not bushes & an airbraked piston head and/or some type of silent piston/cylinder head combination.
  • A cylinder without holes.
  • Gold/plated trigger switch contacts.
  • CNC metal hop unit.
  • G36K length inner TBB.
  • G36C length aluminium RIS in place of the handguard.
  • Long faux suppressor fitting inside the short RIS out to enclose the long inner barrel by 50mm.
  • Optional STANAG magwell convertor.
  • Optional vertical foregrip.
  • Optional short barrel 'nade launcher with pistol grip.
  • Optional underslung pump action shotgun with vertical grip attached to pump, or mini moscart launcher, possibly made to look like an underslung shotgun.

To help you visualise the finished project, it will have a colour scheme consisting of dispersed pattern pale, mid, and dark grey, with black low-lights. Apart from looking a bit badass-sci-fi, it's imaginary real world equivalent would be intended for use by small teams in rapid deployments expecting both open space and street fighting...

So what I'm hoping for from you lot firstly, and most importantly at this stage, is help in choosing the base gun to start the project with. Criteria to bear in mind are that this project will not take just a couple or three months spare cash to realise, because otherwise I'd have bugger all left to go airsofting, let alone the other areas of my life; the gun needs to function alright for woodland skirmishing in the meantime; my initial budget is a bit over 300 quid, maybe 350, but that must pay for 2 batteries also, and maybe a couple of midcaps to join the 3 hicaps I already have; if I need a new charger I'll get one outside this budget.

Secondly I'm well up for criticism/discussion of the plan's choices and any problems you can foresee, experience you have and/or suggestions as to which parts are better than others, where to get them, modifications, etc.

Pls have at it :)

Shotgun will look odd.

Grenade launcher will look a bit odd aswell to me unless its the AG36. Quite user friendly but makes the gun slightly front heavier and only works on the K or longer.

Any reason why the G36C length handguard but a G36K barrel. Why not just a G36K? Slightly more rail, already got the long barrel and handguard, gas tubes etc. Would be cheaper to get a G36K than a G36C and upgrade.

The Umarex G36 series come with the sliding stock, however have no room in there for rear batteries. G&P make the best sliding stock that you can purchase and can fit batteries in there.

• Supporters

Cheers Tariq, I was hoping you'd wade into this thread. i was going to pm you soon if you didn't notice it on your own :)

My thinking for the odd length combination is because a metal RIS with a foregrip and a torch attached is going to unbalance the gun toward the front anyway, before adding anything underslung. I think keeping attachments halfway back down the RIS with the rest poking out naked towards the muzzle would look really odd too, but the further forward anything goes, the more unbalanced the gun will get. I'll be able to add some steel nuts & bolts padded up inside the stock with the battery to compensate I think, but that plan will only go so far.

Also though I just think that a short boxy gun with the carry handle and EOTech on top with a monster suppressor sticking out will look sub-zero cool. If there is no way to sling a nade launcher under it without a longer RIS, then I'll have to have that, but maybe I can cut it down a bit, or at an angle...

I think last time we talked about G36's you agreed with Ed that the Umarex/Ares were dodgy, yeah?

I'm thinking that a K would be best as a starting platform also because I want to get the TBB early on, so I can build the rest of the innards upgrades around the performance through it.

I wouldn't say dodgy.

Mine is an Umarex version and i've yet to have a major problem that it has developed on its own with it. It did catch fire due to loose wiring but that was because i had put the wires in slightly askew and they were rubbing against the magazines, so they eventually wore out. My bad though, can't currently flaw the gun apart from having to adjust the motor height every now and again due to the blowback causing it to slowly loosen itself.

I did have a old K version that died, but it was one of the first batch in the UK and lemons are usually found that way with ARES guns. They seem to be getting more reliable now. Haven't heard of anyone else's guns dying like mine.

Its not exactly super front heavy as its all polymer body. With a madbull tightbore which is a fair but lighter than the stock one, i can easily use the full length G36 with 1 hand (gansta AK style). I'm sure with a K version it will slighty easier to use. you could get a mini madbull grenade launcher. Finius has one on his G36C. alhtough has no pistol grip and not really keeping with the G36 theme (AG36 designed for the G36 :P )

• Supporters

If you were me you'd go for the Umarex G36KV EBB to start with then, Tariq?

I take your point about the AG36, but the built in K length handguard doesn't fit my plan lol! It's not just the length though, I want a drilled metal RIS that you can see through to the suppressor inside, so it looks as if the suppressor is integral to the barrel like on an MP5 SD6. For the 40mm I'm thinking maybe this:

IR-1102A-1L.jpg

IR-1102A-5L.jpg

Oh dear lord you can actually get that in a RIS version???

Wanted one for my G36... then realised an AG36 with nades an the CO2 charger was the same price as a RA Tech Hk416.

Now thats tempting to get one and put it on the Hk416 :D

*No bad Tariq. You've already spent too much money this month*

Yeah i know what you mean with the silencer look. Dunno where you would put the batteries though. Can you get lipos into the RIS? The Umarex stocks do NOT have holes in the rear for batteries, unlike the G&P one which can accomadate a battery.

If you're replacing the handguard, and inner barrel you might as well go with the G36C. You can't attach anything to the stock G36K rail, and since you don't want the longer barrel, just the large silencer its not really the one you want. Only downside is you dont get the scope rail with it. Although i have taken mine off due to batteries being a pain and eye relief not the best. Iron sights work well, and can stick anything on there.

AFAIK the umarex G36c is a middle weight G36. Few others being more reliable but externally not as good quality, Tm being stupidly expensive etc.

Since you've suggested you'd be changing the motor / gears etc though i don't see it being too much of a problem in terms of reliability. I've probably done only 6000 rounds through mine but it seems strong.

Question is: do you want / need EBB or would you be happy going for a JG or CA and swapping those parts out instead? (dunno prices on those)

• Supporters

Soo it's late and I got bored ;)

Interesting concept Ian

00ea1d1ae346292cddb78f403ebf0f0b.jpg

• Supporters

@Tariq: I know mate! Part of me can't quite decide if the M320A1 really is excessive, but another part of me thinks maybe it needs trades on to make it even more so :D Dunno. I can see that sight falling by the wayside though...

Yeah, your right about the battery. It wouldn't fit in the RIS if I can get a suppressor to fit how would like it, but the plan calls for replacing the stock anyway, because about the only thing I don't like about G36's is the tiny battery with that fiddly body pin to deal with to change it. What do you reckon to the SRC stock? That was the one I've been thinking of.

Thanks Nutster - yeah that's exactly the sort of thing, with the suppressor a little bit longer. I don't think it looks half as weird as it sounds, eh?

From what you want to do, seems more of a project gun than a simple purchse :)

That or the G&P one. Slightly more expensive, but has a cheek rest and some trades.

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/G-P-G36-Sniper-Style-Folding-Stock--GP528--GP528.html#.UQPZ_7802Co

Tried the photo thing... really not my style XD But each to thier own. Looks slightly better with the flat top rail though as it compliments the RAS.

12343t2.png

• Supporters

Yeah that's it, Tariq! I think another optic on top would be fine, but perhaps not without the 'nade launcher.

You've sort of sold me on the G&P stock, but I'm not sure a cheek rest & trades are worth 28 quid... it'll depend on cash levels when that part of the build comes around. You're right, it is a project. That's why I'm thinking to start with a K, because if I go with a C I'd need to buy the TBB, suppressor, and RIS all at the same time.

To be fair though, if the STANAG mag does end up that close to the 'nade launcher grip, I can see those 2 options being mutually exclusive.

• Supporters

Ian, my mate Andy, who you may know as "Mr. Beard" or, "That guy that looks like he ought to be in the Taliban" has just bought an Ares G36 off Pocket, it's just like the one in Tariq's sig except non-blowback and with the wire stock.

So if he copes alright with it and it lasts him a fair while, it might be a good way to gauge how good the Ares is.

I was thinking though, what about the KWA G36 and just adding all the bits you want to it? KWA guns are solid as hell.

Alternately, ICS have just released their G33 recently, which is just a sort of magpul-esque G36, you could look into compatibility for other G36 after market parts and then use the ICS as a base, because that's more or less guaranteed to be flawless from the inside out.

• Supporters

Yeah Ed, it's lucky Andy is blazing the trail for me :) but right at the moment I haven't got a working AEG that's good for woodland. Obviously I plan to sort that out, but I've not had much luck so far. I like the idea of having an ICS G36 too, but like I said, if I buy a C then when I come to start the rebuild, apart from the launcher I'll have to buy a all the most expensive bits at once, or get them bit at a time and stick with the C length in the meantime, however long that takes :(

I dunno. I'm going to have to do some research into what bits are compatible with which guns. Any experience from other members would help???

• Supporters

Has anyone heard anything bad about Gen III SRC G36's?

• Supporters

As long as its gen3 the src guns are good to go Ian, unlike the gen1/2 which most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole :P

I have the ICS G33. Comes with the M4 magwell right from the off (both the M4 and the G36 mag release systems work), has a solid, extendable stock and four rails on the front handguard, including a long RIS at the bottom which goes right back to the magwell, making it significantly longer than that found on a classic G36c. Though they've done away with the classic HK sight, and I can't for the life of me work out why, I'm pretty sure it will fit other top rails to replace the current one. I bought one and took a bit of a risk on it, seeing as how they had only just came out and I'd never used anything ICS before and I loved it. Sure I'm already planning some adjustments, but then, who isn't?

I've had a quick look inside as well and the internals are pretty damn impressive, all for a not too shabby price tag.

As to the SRC G36 Gen III it's not too bad, but in my mates the hop up rubber was sh*t, but then that's an easy fix. It also imploded last month, but it had done him well for nearly two years with no maintenance (wouldn't let me near it except to replace the rubber). All in all it performed well, but I personally would find other items to spend my money on. Such as the G33 (hint hint).

P.S.

I do not work for ICS ;)

• Supporters

As long as its gen3 the src guns are good to go Ian, unlike the gen1/2 which most people wouldn't touch with a barge pole :P

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, mate. I was just wondering if the 'pre-upgraded' stuff lasts; which brings us to...

I have the ICS G33. Comes with the M4 magwell right from the off

Actually that doesn't matter as far as the plan goes, because I want the option to fit a STANAG magwell converter, so I'm ready for a western team mag-share effort, should the need arise, but I prefer the look of the G36's own mags so I'd need to buy an original magwell for the G33. Trouble is I just don't like the look of it. To me the G33 looks like a US/Israeli dual citizenship team of weapon designers have reimagined the Bauhaus influenced, simple, brutal, elegance of the G36 with more than half an eye towards attempting some kind of legal trickery to avoid blatant Copyright &/or Patent infringement!
I bought one and took a bit of a risk on it, seeing as how they had only just came out and I'd never used anything ICS before and I loved it. Sure I'm already planning some adjustments, but then, who isn't?
The state of my ICS AK leads me to believe all I've heard, which can be summed up as 'bomb-proof'. IE my AK is almost as knackered as me but it's still firing consistently. That said, if I could get the blasted thing apart I'd have made some changes, lol!
As to the SRC G36 Gen III it's not too bad, but in my mates the hop up rubber was sh*t, but then that's an easy fix. It also imploded last month, but it had done him well for nearly two years with no maintenance (wouldn't let me near it except to replace the rubber). All in all it performed well, but I personally would find other items to spend my money on. Such as the G33 (hint hint)
Well, if I get 2 years out of one with nothing more than a hop rubber change, I'll not feel too bad if it does give up the ghost, but there again, I fully intend to maintain it. I had a quick check with rschris and his is apparently still going strong, so I think that's my mind made up.

Thanks for the help ppl :)

I have an SRC Gen3 G36c. I'm totally happy with it. It started out two tone but I have replaced the offending handguard and stock with Cyma alternatives.

It's a fairly heavy beast and It needs a new hop up rubber but that's about it. It's been skirmished around 5 times and always performs quite well shooting between 320 and 330 fps.

I will say though that the Cyma parts are considerably nicer. The butt pad on the Cyma stock is actually rubber. Hard rubber but rubber nonetheless whereas on the SRC it's plastic. The plastic is not really an issue if you are intending to replace the stock anyway.

Here is a pic in the loadout thread...

http://www.airsoft-f..._720#entry89850

• Supporters

Yeah, I was planning to do the same because I couldn't find an all black one in stock, ARN mate. Until I realised that my eyes had been sliding past a Gen III KV without comprehension dawning lol - Airsoft World. To be fair to me, I've lost count of the amount of different options and sites they are all on, so it's not like I'm entirely brain dead lol!

I'm not surprised your CYMA stock is better than the SRC. I'm a big fan of CYMA :) but you've got to branch out as well eh?

So the plan so far... ordered:

SRC Gen III G36KV GBP148.08

Silver Plated Gearbox Wire 1.8m GBP 10.20

AW Patch GBP 0.00

P&P GBP 9.59

Airsoft World GBP167.87

Accucel 6 Digital charger with mains PSU GBP 48.95

7.4V 5000mAh 30C hardcase lipo battery GBP 25.85

P&P GBP 2.95

Component Shop GBP 77.75

Deans Connectors T Plugs 10 Pairs With Heat Shrink GBP 3.99

P&P GBP 0.71

Tactical Airsoft G36 3.5X Scope Carry Handle w/ Top 20mm Rail inc P&P GBP 35.50

Fleabay GBP 40.20

DBOYS G36 50Rds Magazine Translucent w/ Fake Bullets x 6 GBP 56.94

P&P GBP 6.75

AFUK Discount - 5% - GBP 2.85

Airsoft Supply Drop GBP 60.84

Total GBP 346.66

Which just leaves (lol): G36C RAS, Suppressor, TBB, Burst Wizard KK Mosfet, Aluminium Modular Vertical Foregrip, 2 x G36 HiCap Flash Mags, STANAG Magwell Adaptor, 7 x STANAG MidCaps, 1 x STANAG HiCap Flash Mag, Grenade Launcher, 2 x Moscarts, Pile of ICS 40mm Grenade Pyro Launchers when they are released somewhere easy to get them & I can afford the plan this far...

Watch this space for updates, but don't hold your breath lol!

Nice little spend there mate. Its scary when you break it down like that.........................or look at the total for that matter.

Reminds me of my spend when i got my SCAR.

• Supporters

Yeah, it adds up quickly, Juni0r. As you say, scary. I daren't add up how much everything I want for it will cost in total or it'll just demoralise me (so don't anybody take it upon themselves to do so, or I'll be forced to deploy the literary equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and yelling "la la la" - which is to say "I haven't decided which type of any of the rest I want and I may well get some 2nd hand la la la").

Just out of interest, how much did your SCAR cost you in the end?

Edit to add: oh sh*t, I'd totally forgotten the 551 replica too, which will be @least GBP60 i think... :ph34r:

nice. Completly forgot that SRC do the KV aswell. Not a bad shout considering my G36 caught fire on sunday XD

Looking at that build list now is reminding me of my HK416 build. Already spent £600 and thats just for guns and mags XD

• Supporters

Ian, y'know the guns Skirmish hire out are SRC Gen 3s? You've used them a fair bit, no? You ought to know a fair bit about the build quality and ootb performance already lol.

• Supporters

nice. Completly forgot that SRC do the KV aswell. Not a bad shout considering my G36 caught fire on sunday XD

Worn wiring shorting out, or spontaneous umarex combustion?
Looking at that build list now is reminding me of my HK416 build. Already spent £600 and thats just for guns and mags XD

We are mental really, aren't we? When I was starting to seriously imagine how this project ought to proceed, I'd kinda thought I'd get 6 each G36 & STANAG PMAGS, for the looks... yeah, well I knew they weren't cheap but when I realised how much a dozen would cost it may as well have been for the lols!

Ian, y'know the guns Skirmish hire out are SRC Gen 3s? You've used them a fair bit, no? You ought to know a fair bit about the build quality and ootb performance already lol.

Yeah, I seem to vaguely remember asking you or somebody about them before, but I definitely didn't know they are Gen III's - I'm pleased. For short barrelled guns they are pretty accurate and the range isn't bad. They must have 110 springs in them though. I'm going to see what FPS I end up with once I fit a TBB and possibly a different hop rubber before I even start thinking about spring swappage, because, surprise surprise, I want to keep it under 350 for wimpsoft.

Worn wiring shorting out, or spontaneous umarex combustion?We are mental really, aren't we? When I was starting to seriously imagine how this project ought to proceed, I'd kinda thought I'd get 6 each G36 & STANAG PMAGS, for the looks... yeah, well I knew they weren't cheap but when I realised how much a dozen would cost it may as well have been for the lols!

Bit of wiring and motor height. With the blowback the motor likes to jump up and down a bit, as all the screws rattle loose :P Usually have to tighten them up every few weekends.

416 is GBB so the cost is just going to rocket. At least it arrives next week and i can just sit at home cuddling it :P

Here you go Ian.

Cannot go wrong with the SRC Gen III G36!! Have used mine on 9.6v for a while and really pushed its boundaries. I take the gun apart and it never shows any signs of wear and tear!

Never let me down and I went to buy the 7 P-mags and alot happier with them!!!

Dropped one PMAG from the top of the stan stairwell......fell all the way to the bottom over 4 floors!!! didnt lose 1 BB out of the magazine and no damage at all to it!

photo8_zpse453d5f1.jpg

Archived