A college photo shoot?

Canine Gallows
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just noticed the pun in the title!

So yeah.... my second topic on this site and don't get me wrong, it's just a coincidence that this is happening tomorrow.

Is it legal for me to take my Airsoft/B.B gun or what not to college? It'll be in a large A2 sketch pad case and I will not bring any of the pellets so it wont be able to harm anyone so I figured it's all good seeing that it's out of site and unable to fire.

I'm only asking this because in photography my theme for my assignment is 'video games' and since I've had this airsoft gun laying about I figured that it would be great to do a first person shooter theme. I took some pictures already in my back garden, had to make sure next door couldn't see what I was doing so I wouldn't get in trouble and I took some pictures in the snow recently. My lecturer asked me if I could take any more pictures so I figured I could go into the college studio to do the photoshoot, that way I'm out of sight and as long as I'm holding my camera in the other hand it's obvious I'm not going to fire it. Plus the room is sound proof but then again, I'm not going to fire it so it's not an issue, plus it's not that loud.

I know this probably sounds pretty dodgy but if it's legal I'm up for putting a picture or two from the shoot here tomorrow so you guys can see what I've been doing.

Oh, I've informed my class that I'll be doing a photo shoot with it so nobody opens it and freaks out when they see it and my photography lecturer is into role play gatherings and stuff so I'm sure she'll be fine.

I know I'm probably massively over reacting about this but the last thing I want is a bunch of armed police coming here because of a mis-understanding :L

Also, I don't want to ruin it for everyone else! If it's too risky I'll just rent a camera and do more pictures in my garden :P

Thanks in advance for any replies!

• Supporters

It should be perfectly ok so long as everyone with a chance of discovering you know's about it and they don't die of a sudden Heart Attack

Ahhhhh good to hear, thanks! Had to ask since you guys here know your stuff!

Turns out it's about half the size of the real gun so I'm having a stab and saying it's just a B.B gun which is great to finally know! Been wandering about the size since I got it :/

Check with the lecturer. There may be some kind of rule about imitation firearms. If you want to do it, check with the lecturer and get her to inform whoever needs to be informed. It's not necessarily illegal, as long as you have permission.

What will you do with it when you're not using it in the studio? That would be my main concern. Could you get a member of staff to lock it up, or do you have a locker you can put it in? The last thing you want to be doing is wandering around with it.

It would take a lot of planning and convincing.

We had a fair few meetings with our uni so we could get our guns just on display during freshers fair.

This was at a university... a privately owned area operated by the university (private company as universities are)

If you are just at a normal college is most likely government funded. This would make it public domain (even though public don't have right of access).

Bit iffy ground you're standing on. I wouldn't take it in unless its been approved first.

Considering the situation with whats going on over in America. I really don't see that it will be approved.

And i just remembered that some guy got arrested for having a clear see through pistol at my college, as the armed response was called and AFAIK they HAVE to make an arrest.

• Supporters

Um Godz haz Everyone lost Ability to Read He no longer need's the Info he already done it! he asked his lecturer aswell all was stated jeeeeeez

Um Godz haz Everyone lost Ability to Read He no longer need's the Info he already done it! he asked his lecturer aswell all was stated jeeeeeez

Considering i've just written 6000 words on how suspension and ESP systems effect the handling of a car... yes i have lost the ability to read and write properly :P

Woops, sorry I couldn't get on earlier!

The photoshoot went really well and my lecturer liked it since she's done things like that when she does thoes live action role play games, managed to keep it hidden for the day though since everyone was a bit iffy when I took it out of my bag in lession even though I told everyone about it :P

But I'm going to try and not do another shoot like this in college, it's too risky, like you guys said, if someone saw me they could have panicked and done anything!

Thanks for the replies though!

Archived