Red filter on weapon light?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I've just picked up stage light gel and made a red filter for my weapon light. Why? Maybe to help with night vision issues but mainly because it's cool. The perceived brightness is much lower so I doubt I will be able to strobe anybody into submission but I'm pretty happy with the result.

I just wondered if anyone else uses such a filter?

• Supporters

The idea of a weapon light is to 1) see where you're shooting and 2) to dazzle your target.

Why stop it having that effect? :P

The idea of a weapon light is to 1) see where you're shooting and 2) to dazzle your target.

Why stop it having that effect? :P

Hahaha. Good point. However I will settle for 1) Seeing where I'm shooting at and 2) Looking cool :D

• Supporters

Yeh I imagine a big red beam of light looks pretty cool ;)

Different coloured lenses are mainly used for hunting, where foxes, rabbits etc. can become accustomed to seeing white light, and conditioned to run when they see it. They may be less sensitive to a different colour.

For airsoft/skirmishing, the point is to get as much light out there as you can, to help with not falling over stuff, and to improve accuracy, so diminishing the light output with coloured filters/lenses doesn't seem to make much sense.

That said, red light can help to maintain night vision, so that might be one reason. And also it can look pretty cool, especially in smoke/dust.

Humans will still be able to see it. Maybe not as well but we don't lack the right physiology to not be able to see the red wavelengths.

Wouldn't mind a green or blue lens though, would look pretty cool.

Don't get me wrong...it still gives out enough light to see by. It's just that by the very nature of the red light it no longer really dazzles the enemy.

Another advantage is that it will make a red arm band really stand out while a blue one will appear nearly black. So that might help with target identification.

Or of course I might change my mind completely and take it out! It did only cost £1.50 after all :D

If you care for you're team's night vision in dark games, you can identify members without destroying their natural night vision by using red light.

That's really as far as it goes,as well as some cooler aspects...

pjhMHJI.jpg

That's me with my Uber-bright 9 red LED torch in my mouth :D

Archived