fps limit on snipers

godfather
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I am hoping to get a sniper rig together. Got the ghilie, and now on to the rifle. I plan to get it from EU or USA to keep the cost down. However when I did the research on max fps allowed on snipers I got conflicting results.

Anyone know the official laws? one site said 500FPS for single shots, is this true? would this be allowed on most UK gamesites? (not CQB ofcourse)

Thanks all.

Some sites only allow 350 like most other guns.

Some around 400.

Most sites operate at 500fps with a 20m Minimum Engagement Distance (cant shoot anyone under 20m away)

Cost might not be as low at you think after import tax :P

I know the site I play at allows 328fps for all guns with a small tolerance to allow for variances on the day. This is due to insurance demands.

I personally don't like getting shot at by a 500+fps rifle with heavy BB's. I have been in the past and now I choose not to.

As said though; quite a few allow high fps sniper rifles with MED's. best thing is check with each individual site you want to or intent playing at to be absolutely sure.

Some sites only allow 350 like most other guns.

Some around 400.

Most sites operate at 500fps with a 20m Minimum Engagement Distance (cant shoot anyone under 20m away)

Cost might not be as low at you think after import tax :P

so there is no law restriction on bolt action snipers on fps? (can't exceed 500 of course I assume)

don't think there is really a law restriction, as you'd just go into air rifle levels eventually.

IIRC the only case law ever referred to is moore vs gooderham. Look it up. It's from the 60's but ha never been repealed and set a precedent.

The ACPO also carried out some ballistic testing and whilst it doesn't form any part of UK law I understand it has been adopted at least to some extend by a lot of forced as guidelines by which to base decisions. I don't have the figures to hand but I think they were about 373fps for an AEG and 600ish for a single shot bolt action rifle.

Archived