Advice on Guns, Plate Carriers and Sites.

shaw3029
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I used to play a few years ago before UKARA had come in. I currently have a old TM M4 and am looking at getting a new gun once I am registered.

Like a lot of people I like the M4 variants. It needs to be full metal, shoot a good distance and most importantly be reliable! I've broken more than enough guns in time! Currently I am looking at a G&G gen 2 M4.

Something like this,

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/gen_2_tr16_r4_commando.html

I've always liked a crane stock even if I do need another battery. I am open to suggestions on other makes and it doesnt have to have that stock. If anyone has any comments, positive and negative on the G&G gen 2 that would be great.

I'm also looking at getting a plate carrier to keep all my mags in. I originally liked the look of the Blackhawk commando rig but it doesn't have a back and ive read it doesn't fit we'll on a smaller person. I'm 5.10 and 11stone so not exactly a big guy.

I'm currently looking at a warrior assault systems Ricas compact,

http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/copy_of_Elite_Ops_Ricas_Compact_Base_MC.html

What do people think of it? Again I am open to other suggestions but It has to be molle, fit me snug and come in multicam although I am also open to ranger green or similar.

I used to play at Elektrowerkz and then fort Amherst but neither run airsoft games anymore so I'm looking for new venues in the south London area. I played at tactical warfares site in Anerley and will be checking out there woodland site in Croydon soon. The Anerley site was good but a little small for my liking.

Also planning to check out the UCAP sandpit site in Dartford but have not heard much about it.

Cheers!

5.10 isnt exactly small either :P*goes to sulk in the corner because I'm only 5.6ft :(*

Friend has just got that PC and its awesome quality. He has it fully adjusted to its smallest size though. Although he's probably 9-10 stone so i be you would be fine in it.

I have a Warrior DCS plate carrier at the moment and the build quality is awesome, I would say go for it, all the pouches are good quality and made out of tough material. The DCS is pretty compact, but can accommodate me (6' 4" and 14 stone). Not sure how tight the RICAS goes, but if its as adjustable as the DCS I imagine you'll be fine.

I have a Warrior RICAS and am 6'1" and 16 stone! Adjusted and fits really nice. Found it really comfortable as well. Won't go far wrong with one of those.

• Supporters

i Concur on the DCS it's great i've got 2 (Gave one to my brother now though) and i'm 18 Yr's old & 9 Stone exact and a foot from the inside of the top of my door frame!

Hi Mate,

The Warrior Compact RICAS is a great piece of kit! The build quality is absoulutely amazing; weave your molle pouches on correctly and you'll be good to go on that front.

I attend TWA's woodland site and it's got a decent size and a variety of games! Including a "village" with some decent CQB action. I'll be at the next woodland game with my RICAS and G&G raider (great gun for the price, can't go wrong) if you fancy seeing them in the flesh before you part with some cash! Just ask for Teddy in the safe zone :)

Best of luck!

For the gun I'd recommend that you get G&G Combat Machine guns. They're quite reliable and perform very well. Judging by the price you're willing to pay for the gun that was in the link, I'm guessing your price range for the gun is about £300. Combat Machines only cost about £120-£160 on ZeroOne, so you'll have quite a bit of money left over for any internal and/or external modifications you'd like to make, or the money can go towards your gear. The molle vest that I use is the Viper Special Ops Vest that I got from the TWA website. Has a lot of molle space on the front and back and only cost me £60. However there isn't one in multicam, but they do one in Olive Drab. Yeah, people prefer the Woodland site to the Urban site.

Another vote for the DCS. I have one and i'm 5 11 and 15 stone. Fits me like a glove.

As for the M4 for full metal i'd go G&P over G&G.

Thanks for the huge response everyone, really appreciate it!

The DCS is the more modern design vs the RICAS compact, certainly what I'd always recommend. Especially since it's £20 cheaper and much more suited to the smaller framed person.

Hi Mate,

The Warrior Compact RICAS is a great piece of kit! The build quality is absoulutely amazing; weave your molle pouches on correctly and you'll be good to go on that front.

I attend TWA's woodland site and it's got a decent size and a variety of games! Including a "village" with some decent CQB action. I'll be at the next woodland game with my RICAS and G&G raider (great gun for the price, can't go wrong) if you fancy seeing them in the flesh before you part with some cash! Just ask for Teddy in the safe zone :)

Best of luck!

Sounds like its a choice between the Ricas or the dcs. Although the dcs is sounding a liitle more suitable. I might have to take you up on the offer Teddy. I'm planning to go on the 2nd if your there.

Indeed, pro airsoft supplies (who carry pretty much everything G&G) is run by a much more reputable bunch.

I actually went to the shop. The owner seems like a nice guy and they did have a huge selection of G&G to try out. I will most certainly be getting the gun from them if I go for a G&G.

Another vote for the DCS. I have one and i'm 5 11 and 15 stone. Fits me like a glove.

As for the M4 for full metal i'd go G&P over G&G.

Sounds good the dcs. Why would you go for G&P over G&G?

Cheers guys!

Ps. Anyone with any experience of the sandpit site?

Sounds like its a choice between the Ricas or the dcs. Although the dcs is sounding a liitle more suitable. I might have to take you up on the offer Teddy. I'm planning to go on the 2nd if your there.

Hi mate, Forgot to mention I'm 5'11 and 12 stone so about the same build as you, the ricas fits me perfect, as should it you!

Most G&Gs are plastic! Great guns from what i have seen but the G&P range are metal. It is hard to beat the externals of the G&P and the only issue i have had internally are the hop rubbers are not very good. Cheap and easy fix and you have a great solid rifle. A basic G&P M4 is around £240. £15 quid for madbull hop rubber and your set.

If i were after a new M4 AEG it would be a G&P or TM recoil.

• Supporters

I wouldn't say 'most' of the G&Gs are plastic. The combat machine line is, but then they have a whole other line of entirely metal guns which are around the same sort of pricing as G&Ps.

Not to say a G&P wouldn't be a good choice as well, they'll both be good end of the day. Really going to be a personal decision based on how much the trades etc matter to the end user, there's no wrong answer.

One other quick question guys. Between these two,

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/gen_2_tr4_cqb_r.html

Which to me at least appear to be the same gun. Will there be a much of a difference in range because of the barrel lengths?

Thanks again!

Hi mate, Forgot to mention I'm 5'11 and 12 stone so about the same build as you, the ricas fits me perfect, as should it you!

If I'm down on the 2nd which I should be il try and find you. Cheers,

Most G&Gs are plastic! Great guns from what i have seen but the G&P range are metal. It is hard to beat the externals of the G&P and the only issue i have had internally are the hop rubbers are not very good. Cheap and easy fix and you have a great solid rifle. A basic G&P M4 is around £240. £15 quid for madbull hop rubber and your set.

If i were after a new M4 AEG it would be a G&P or TM recoil.

My budget or rather what I'm willing to spend is about £300. The TM recoil looks to be around the £500 mark and I've not found many G&P guns for comparable prices to the G&G. Having said that I did find this fella,

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/G-P-M4-Sentry--Black--GP901-GP901.html#.UP2K0XwgGK1

I wouldn't say 'most' of the G&Gs are plastic. The combat machine line is, but then they have a whole other line of entirely metal guns which are around the same sort of pricing as G&Ps.

Not to say a G&P wouldn't be a good choice as well, they'll both be good end of the day. Really going to be a personal decision based on how much the trades etc matter to the end user, there's no wrong answer.

From what I can tell this G&G is full metal,

Unless I've miss read. It's also blowback which would seem to me to be a bonus. The only blow backs that existed when I first started playing were gas pistols or very expensive very unreliable and rarely seen rifles.

Cheers!

IMO the only recoil i would go for are the TM ones. But like you say for a new one your looking at way over your budget. Having said that i have no experience of other recoils I'm just bias as i have a TM SCAR.

If your budget is £300 then your choices are endless!

From the two you linked first they do appear to be more or less the same bar the barrel length. From my limited experience i dont think there will be much difference as far as accuracy and distance.

When i was looking i decided on what look i liked and then went searching for the gun that matched. If you search you will find a bargain.

Better yet get you your nearest retailer and handle the rifles see what you like.

• Supporters

I have a RICAS; not the compact however. I'm not sure that there is any, or much, difference in design of the lower parts of both. I want it really tight because I have a bad back and it does just about do that, when fully adjusted as tight as it goes. I'm 5'10" and 14.5 stn - so perhaps it wouldn't fit snugly on you.

Edit to add: it's a great bit of kit though lol!

Cheers guys. I'm playing this weekend and will be hopefully be checking out teddies plate carrier.

Does anybody have any experience with cyber gun? I was pretty set on the G&G until I saw this for £100 less.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/cyber-gun-colt-m4-ris.htm

I've searched for reviews but there aren't many.

Thanks again!

Ps. I'm also eying up a Eotech. Looking to spend around £50 if anyone has any personal recommendations that would be fantastic.

• Supporters

Cybergun just take other brands product and slap their label on it, but they take in a reasonably wide range of quality levels. So unless you can find out for certain who the original manufacturer is when buying something labelled Cybergun; avoid, because you won't really know what you're actually getting. With G&G you've got infinitely more peace of mind.

As for Eotechs this one should do the job fine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-552-Red-Green-Holographic-Dot-Rifle-Tactical-Sight-Scope-20mm-Rail-Airsoft-/360578842359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f42c7ef7

It's not the same company I bought mine from, but it's probably the same china clone.

Archived