How good are G&P?

Nickona
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a G&P MK.18 and was wondering about their performance and importantly their reliability is like, as I don't want to have to be constantly repairing it..

As I've heard that they can be quite touchy and unreliable..

Thanks a lot

Nick

• Supporters

The first one I ever had was second hand and the guy that sold it to me said it had never been used because he bought it for a milsim event and it didn't arrive in time...

Well when it did arrive, the internals were knackered, piston was stripped and it was only managing 250fps - It was fitted with all stock parts, but that's not to say he didn't just refit the stock parts to sell it to me 'cos it definitely had been used, a lot, for the piston to be that crapped up.

Off the back of that, I had a very bad view of them for quite a while, unsure whether to trust the guy that sold it to me, or not. So I avoided them.

However, I recently bought one brand new to start my L119 project and the out of the box performance was phenomenal! Upgrades were unnecessary. I stuck a red dot on it and it was inch perfect out to 45m, all with stock parts.

Being me though, I thought I'd rewire it to the stock, shim the gearbox and fit a new hop and barrel. Hop and barrel came first and it has to be said that it didn't react well to a 6.01 tightbore or a Madbull blue bucking, the blue bucking is too fat for you to dial it fully off, causing all manner of jamming issues and the barrel must've been slightly narrower than the inside edge of the hop unit or something, because I got the impression BBs were catching on something, shots would also veer off to one side very aggressively after about 30m and I know it's not the tight bore I had because I now use it with spectacular results in my L85.

In short, they're very good rifles out of the box, the best I've seen in fact. However, if you're thinking of touching the insides of them, be weary of them disliking barrels and hops as mine did.

The rest of the issues I had are easily fixable, I just don't have the patience to deal with them because, as everyone probably knows by now, I passionate detest version 2 gearboxes.

I'd give them my vote, I would buy another one, probably the SAM-R at some point over the next few years. But I won't be planning on making any internal modifications.

Probably a lot more info than you asked for, but I thought I'd outline my background as well as current experience with them, to avoid any accidental bias to one experience or the other.

All my M4's are either G&P or used G&P components to build them. In the many years I've been in airsoft they are the best and most consistent in terms of quality and longevity both for internals and external finish. I can't recommend them enough. In fact I've just bought a new G&P M4 RIS to satisfy a nostalgic urge I've been having. :)

Ed beat me to it! I ave to say all mine have had the following done:

1. Vanaras tight bore barrels

2. Guarded 50 degree hop rubber

3. Some have had ASCU's installed too. The ultimate G&P in my view :)

This set up gives me the best range and fps.

If you look around, the majority of people when doing external upgrades will buy G&P receiver sets and their gearboxes with the 8mm bearings are amazing.

I had one a while back. The only problem I had was that the bevel gear axle snapped after a few hundred rounds. I did a bit of research and it seems to be fairly common - unless it's been addressed in manufacturing recently.

Once I'd replaced it, it shot like a dream. I then sold it to someone at the AAF and bumped into him 6 months later and he was still using it and very pleased with it!

I got a stock 2nd hand G&P m4 tank. SOLID!

Also being me it's been dropped onto concrete once while running, barrel first (well, sling gave up) and flung into the concrete floor once (running, 3 hostiles surprised me in a doorway, tripped on a concrete block and ran into another hostile at the same time...... I still can't bend my knee properly from the pain... the G&P is hardly scratched thou).

• Supporters

I have a G&P M16 and love it. Installed a Madbull 6.03 tightbore and blue hop rubber.

Shoots about 20 RPS with 8.4v, 3700mAh batteries, has good range and accuracy.

Amazing externals too.

• Supporters

i've had 4 one of which was the M16 Ed first had (I bought it off him)

i also bought another Old G&P and hooked it up with a hopunit and Barrel and the gearbox was still showing how Juicy it was after 2 Year's in a loft witout a Box (It was begining to Rust!)

the other 2 were bought brand new (1 M4 CQB and 1 M4A1) and were pretty dam awesome!

OKay cheers guys, thinking of using one as a base for a MK.18 and L119A1 project, so I take it they're highly recommended....

Nick my M933 is a G&P. This is my second one.

the only issues i have had are feeding issues with both. Would only feed from genuine P/Emags.

the hop rubbers are not amazing but thats is the only bad things i have to say. The externals are amazing and the overall quality is spot on.

Like Marcus said they are the only M4 i would buy other than TM recoil.

Archived