rails possibly squint on vsr clone...

rexfan10
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i just have one question, which is to do with the guns optics. Currently i have an air rifle scope which i put 20mm mounts on and put that onto the 20mm rails i bought for the vsr. When i fire the gun the bb shoots in a straight line, but to the far left of the scope, and when i have the corsshairs set as far left as they will go the bb's are still shooting left, i know its not to do with the guns accuracy because with the iron sights its very accurate, so my question is, do you think its because its an air rifle scope, or perhaps the scope mounts are not of good enough quality,or perhaps the rails are just mounted slightly off center? if it comes down to it a shall buy another scope with better quality mounts and try that. I just wanted the opinion of others who may have already experienced this issue. My gun is the HFC vsr 11 which is a clone of the vsr 10. thanks, rex

hi, even with the crosshairs adjusted as far left as they will go, it still isnt far enough to put them over where the bb is going, thats why i tohuhgt it may be down to the mounts or rails, Thanks anyway though.

• Supporters

Are both mounts on the same way, with the screw to remove them on the same side? And are both mounts a pair, from the same pack? If not, then they need to be as they're all slightly different.

Has the scope had a bad knock or hit at some point? Have you tried the scope and mount on another rifle to see if its the scope etc?

Are both mounts on the same way, with the screw to remove them on the same side? And are both mounts a pair, from the same pack? If not, then they need to be as they're all slightly different.

Hi, thanks for the reply, both mounts came in a pack and i have them the same way around, however they cost a fiver off eBay, so perhaps they lack in quality?

Has the scope had a bad knock or hit at some point? Have you tried the scope and mount on another rifle to see if its the scope etc?

Hello, thanks for the reply, i had the scope zeroed in and working well with my .22 air rifle before i mounted it on the vsr so i dont think there is anything wrong with the scope..

• Supporters

Hi, thanks for the reply, both mounts came in a pack and i have them the same way around, however they cost a fiver off eBay, so perhaps they lack in quality?

It may be that, although I used cheap £5 mounts on my L96 and they were perfectly fine.

If you've got a spare set lying around, then try them.

Also, try swapping them around (front one at back, back on at front) and see if it has a reverse effect.

No idea how the rail fits onto the VSR, but that could be slightly wonky, try straightening it, or turning it the opposite way around and see if it has a reverse effect.

That way, you can narrow it down to just mounts, just the rail, a combination of both or the scope itself.

• Supporters

Can you see the BBs flight path through the scope and is the target quite close, or quite far? If you can't see the shots and the target is beyond about 20m then I'm thinking you might have mounted the scope slightly out of alignment, so you might be tilting the rifle slightly left to level the crosshairs. It might be an amount so small you can't notice, it's quite hard to hold a rifle like that perfectly level as there's no definitively downwards pointing grip or anything, as all parts of it are sloped.

If you're tilting the gun left and not realising it, then the hop may be the reason the shots are flying off to one side.

Otherwise, the mounts might not be attached to the RIS correctly, they might be grabbing it wrong or straddling one of the higher sections of the picatinny rail instead of sitting across the grooves as they should.

Another thing, what's the zoom power of the scope? If you're zoomed in fully, your maximum effective adjustment will be "lower" than if you were zoomed out.

Fully zoom out and see if the shots still fly left.

Lastly, try maxing out the adjustment turrets in the other direction, or rotate the scope 90 degrees to the left and use the vertical adjustments for horizontal zeroing and horizontal for vertical, you might get more up/down movement than left/right - just an idea, probably won't work but I thought I'd throw it out there.

It may be that, although I used cheap £5 mounts on my L96 and they were perfectly fine.

If you've got a spare set lying around, then try them.

Also, try swapping them around (front one at back, back on at front) and see if it has a reverse effect.

No idea how the rail fits onto the VSR, but that could be slightly wonky, try straightening it, or turning it the opposite way around and see if it has a reverse effect.

That way, you can narrow it down to just mounts, just the rail, a combination of both or the scope itself.

Can you see the BBs flight path through the scope and is the target quite close, or quite far? If you can't see the shots and the target is beyond about 20m then I'm thinking you might have mounted the scope slightly out of alignment, so you might be tilting the rifle slightly left to level the crosshairs. It might be an amount so small you can't notice, it's quite hard to hold a rifle like that perfectly level as there's no definitively downwards pointing grip or anything, as all parts of it are sloped.

If you're tilting the gun left and not realising it, then the hop may be the reason the shots are flying off to one side.

Otherwise, the mounts might not be attached to the RIS correctly, they might be grabbing it wrong or straddling one of the higher sections of the picatinny rail instead of sitting across the grooves as they should.

Another thing, what's the zoom power of the scope? If you're zoomed in fully, your maximum effective adjustment will be "lower" than if you were zoomed out.

Fully zoom out and see if the shots still fly left.

Lastly, try maxing out the adjustment turrets in the other direction, or rotate the scope 90 degrees to the left and use the vertical adjustments for horizontal zeroing and horizontal for vertical, you might get more up/down movement than left/right - just an idea, probably won't work but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hi, thanks for all your replies. Sadly with school being on right now it means where i am its dark before and after i get back from it, so i will have to try all these methods of pin pointing the issue on the weekend. I let you all know how i get on then. Thanks, Rex

Hi, i have some good and embarrasing news. The good new is i used one of you suggested methods of fixing the issue and it worked, the embarrasing news is i think i had the scope the wrong way round to begin with!!!!! i think that when i changed the scopes 11mm mounts to 20mm i couldnt have been paying enough attention and put it on so that up/down was left and right and vice versa! Ive got the scope pretty well zeroed in now although the bb's do at times go to one side of the crosshairs or the other, but hopefuly some heavier bb's or a tbb will sort that out. Thanks for your and everybody elses help, it is all much appreciated! thanks, Rex.

• Supporters

Haha, I can see why that would be embarrassing. But at least you've got it dialled in and working properly now :lol:

Archived