WE M14 EBR, Converted to CO2

Toy-Gun
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys, I just purchased a beautiful WE M14 EBR (full markings) and 4 mags. I hope to use it as a DMR.

Unfortunately the first day i took it out i found it unreliable due to the temperature and we live in England so..., also when sniping consistancy is important as i'm sure you'll all agree.

I'm really trying to get advice, as gas isn't really my forte. and this gun is my first gas rifle.

My priorities are:

Mechanically modify the WE M14 to single fire only. I have been told this is relatively a pain free mod (no cutting/ breaking anything) it needs to be a mechanical mod for legal reasons as i want it to fire 400fps. as i understand semi auto can go that high (site rules may differ from place to place with levels of insurance) 500fps for manual reload snipers and 325fps for full auto +/- %.

I own in my box of bits a KWC 12g co2 regulator (http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x274/Ki_Yote_Nine/large2.jpg) minus the guage. so i want to utilise that into my build where possible. I understand with greater power comes greater resp... wear and tear on internals, so upgrades internally i expect to be steel recoil rod (http://www.airsoftglobal.com/shop/images/RAT-WP-WE029-AG-1.jpg) also i heard the triggers can be dodgy so may need to invest in an RA-tech one. would i need NPAS kit if the regulator is PSI controllable? not that comfortable with shaving off parts on my guns internals...

Anyone had any experience with the same or similar project and able to give me/ link me a decent walkthrough i can follow.

Questions i have:

I have many mags, and would like to be able to swap them over in game albeit with a little more faff than without the co2 kit. What quick release systems could i use to save wasting gas in either the co2 cartridge or whats left in the mag if thats possible. other examples i have seen show a vent which i see as counter intuitive.

Storage options for the regulator is also a question. i generally use a 3 point sling for my guns so maybe a bag attached to that, or attached to the stock (crane type)

Thank you for any guidance or ideas.

Will post pictures of the build as it progresses.

just use propane during the winter. Team mate has done so fine with his.

CO2 is soo much stronger than green you will break parts in your M14. CO2 is around 900psi. Green gas is around 200psi.

You don't want to be loading that stuff into a "green gas" magazine. Plus it is unlubricated and will destroy your magazine and gun.

Modding the gun is another thing but that will take alot of effort and not really worth it from a DMR.

Just take the tappet plate off and you'll have limited your gun to semi only. Its that simple.

NPAS is a YES

Most important is good maintenance.

• Supporters

I can't help with the build or offer my advice because I've never tried doing it myself, but you could look into fitting the magazines with a high pressure air rig. They're usually just referred to as HPA rigs, but a quick google will probably bring up some guides and stuff.

You'll need a fair bit of technical know how and a pretty good drill and other metal work tools as well though, but I reckon it'd be easier than modding them to take CO2 capsules.

Another option would be to try alternate gas. If you've seen the Scoutthedoggie videos on YouTube which feature Daedalus with his WE M14, then he mentions using Propylene instead of propane as it works better in the cold. I'm not sure where to buy it or what kind of bottle of it you want though, nor have I ever heard of anyone else using it, but you'll most likely want to get a propane adaptor to use with the propylene canister, if you go down that road and it's probably worth trying that before trying anything else.

• Supporters

taking the tappet plate off an AEG will make it not feed, mate ;)

Taking a tappet plate off a GBBR is quite literally impossible - it's not a component on them.

Not sure which sear it is, but look at the parts that move when you move the selector, try removing/blocking certain parts to achieve semi auto.

As Tariq said though, you can't stick CO2 through any old rifle, chances are you'll blow up the piston and housing and that's only if the magazine lasts long enough to actually feed a round.

Having said that, if you pull off a CO2 powered WE M14 you'll have one of the hardest kicking rifles around!

You can get Propene (Propylene) from hardware stores.

You'll need an NPAS though as my friend used it on his scar and was getting 550fps :P

• Supporters

To lock to semi, remove the fire selector. I can rememeber exactly how to do it but its pretty easy, look at the exploded parts view in the instructions, should be easy enough to see from them.

Definitely get an NPAS, its requires slight Modding to the inside working bits of the loading nozzle, there are instructions of what to do on RA-Techs website that are pretty good.

As said coo2 isn't a great idea until WE decide to release co2 specific mags (which judging by how long I've waited, they aren't going to) however propane should be more than good enough to run it on, even when it gets pretty cold out.

One thing I would be aware of is people always comment on the mags on them venting, This is normally due to the gun not liking it if the mags aren't seated 'just so' so have a practice at reloading before doing it in a game :)

You will need an ra-tech trigger set as the stock one will break after a while. The stock one has a two piece outer box which eventually wears and won't hold together, ra tech do a single piece replacement one made of steel, pricey but it'll work. Also be aware of the pins in the trigger unit, make sure you regularly check them, it won't function if they slightly slicking out

Thanks for the feedback guys.

What is the role of the NPAS kit? is it just better distribution of the gas in the gun? or does it allow for adjustability for if it fires too hot there is some room for adjustment?

Also can't you turn down the PSI on the CO2 Regulator to safe limits i.e. 200fps, but just a bit more consistant than the mags internal pressure can sustain.

Good to hear you guys think the semi issue should be nice to sort.

So what are the drawbacks to propylene. judging from not having heard much about it, seems like it may have a drawback hiding. or else everyone firing GBB's in a cold climate would be using them.

I have had the venting issue, although i find it is only on certain mags, is there a stone hard fix for this as it's annoying. It was part of my wanting to upgrade the system. As my initial assumption was that the gas being cold wasn't strong enough to recock the hammer and so was still pushing on the gas release catch.

Thanks again for the information. Also looking for a team/ group of airsofters to join in surrey/ hampshire if you know of any. new back to the airsofting scene so don't know who's who anymore.

• Supporters

The NPAS kit is a small valve thing that sits inside the loading nozzle, it allows you to adjust the FPS of a gas gun as they're often not at a skirmish-able level.

I've only heard of a few people using propylene, not heard much about it, though I'm sure I read somewhere that overtime it will eat away at the seal on mags etc- though trying to look for where I saw it mentioned, I cant find anything so maybe I'm just imagining

About the venting issue, I'm sure it's just down to how the mags are seated, it seems sometimes it vents sometimes they wont- it's been a good few months since I last used mine (in the summer) so I can't really remember if I'm honest.-Tariq might know? I'd try mine but Im all out of gas.

Me and the group that I play with are pretty much all based in Hampshire and Surrey though we tend to play all over and not necessarily just in these county's. Not sure when I'm next playing but there's quite a few others on the forum based around the area too who I'm sure will welcome you to play with them.

Also, probably worth mentioning, If you intend on playing at Combat South, their FPS limit is 400 for single action rifles, anything full or semi auto (like your M14) will have to be under 350. They have very low limits for DMR's and Sniper rifles- it's a shame really as the site would be well suited to them.

Yeah its about seating the mags right. Made that mistake a few times when borrowing the M14. Was pretty funny running into a battle only to vent everywhere and getting lit up :P

Practice will sort that out. Just make sure it seats in position after reloading before shooting. As a DMR you should have enough time to do that in game :)

As said, because you can pull the trigger quite fast, you might be limited to 350fps, not 370-420 at most sites.

The NPAS (Negative Pressure Air System) increases / reduces the amount of gas going towards the BB. All the gas not allowed through to the BB will be redirected usually to the blowback resulting in a harder kick.

I recommend asking this guy..

about the ebr in cold weather inc venting issues.

If you want to build a hpa rig then this guide is great. Its in german so navigate to it with chrome http://ripperkon.de/projekte/hpa-system/mein-hpa-system/

Npas fitting http://en.ratech.com.tw/product/teaching/teaching_4.php

If you want to order gas any type and quantity you can check with http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/products-and-supply/speciality-gas/index.html If you want to use propane etc you'll need a adaptor to fill the mags

• Supporters

Tbh he's in Scotland, its a lot colder there than in Hampshire ;)

He's commented on his venting every other mag which is something I can only assume happens in very cold weather up there, I used mine in winter when I first had it in around 3*C temps and didn't have any major venting issues

I don't think it's the cold in this regard i do think it's down to the seating. i kept the mags warm inside my webbing for 2 hours then used them and one mag consistently vented. not had much chance to look into the issue.

I know combat south quite well from the old days, so i know steve and john run a good game. and all about their rules. Can you name specific teams that would encompass Surrey and Hampshire by name to help me refine my search? got a post in the new player forums but no one has replied to it. sideways unhappy face.

Let me know when you next plan to head down to the fort/ woodland in portsmouth and i may join you.

I think an Npas kit, bucking, hop up unit and barrel will be the first things i get for it. then next will be the trigger unit, as it will give this one a chance to prove my suspicions wrong.

• 1 month later...

Taking a tappet plate off a GBBR is quite literally impossible - it's not a component on them.

Just thought I'd say that the second link in the original post isn't called a recoil rod, but is actually the tappet (Part 09) ;)

Now that's out of the way, propane isn't an option for the OP because it isn't consistent enough for a DMR. The only way you'll be able to use it in that way is like others have said, a HPA rig or CO2 at a push (HPA being the most consistent but bulky out of the two). I would go down the HPA route personally and have the tank in a pouch on your rig, maybe a backpack. Once you've got a CO2 rig you might as well go the whole way as it's already going to be bulky, but you'll be much more consistent with air instead of CO2. Using QD fittings on your air line will make your life easier, it will never be as fast to change mags as it will be with propane but it's a tradeoff. Performance over aesthetics/speed, which do you value more?

An NPAS kit as mentioned will help you adjust FPS, but won't do much more.

Edit: Sorry if this is a bit out of date or isn't needed anymore, didn't even look :o

Archived