what do you ride (motorbike)

adam bussey

2007 Repsol CBR125. Trusty workhorse since i was 17.

y82NX.jpg

Had a 1973 Yamaha V50 until some lady knocked my brother off it :/ Such a nice old motorcycle.

Also have ridden a Honda Cub 70 since i was 14 in Malaysia :P

At the moment I have a Triumph Thruxton cafe racer, and she is definately a fair weather bike.

my list of bikes over the last 22 years is:

Suzuki Gp100 (learnt to ride on this and learnt bike maintenance on this, was in a group where most guys were 10+ years older than me, and happy to help)

Honda 400 super dream (blew up 2 engines, one on the way to my first Hell's Angel's bash)

Suzuki GS550 (did 90,000 miles on it) (was paying over £800+ insurance on it 20 years ago, when earning £1.75 per hour bottle washing)

Suzuki GS750

Honda CB750

kawasaki GPZ1100 (had for 16 years from new)

my Triumph, as I needed to slow down, and a straight though exhausts are great fun.

2007 Repsol CBR125. Trusty workhorse since i was 17.

y82NX.jpg

Had a 1973 Yamaha V50 until some lady knocked my brother off it :/ Such a nice old motorcycle.

Also have ridden a Honda Cub 70 since i was 14 in Malaysia :P

very nice although I know some one with a proper one who is in the police very nice bike.

i gave up road riding about 4 years ago when i left the bike dealer i worked for, had more bikes than i can remember and always had the demo bikes to play with too

currently finishing this Honda CRF150 to run in the British FAB Mini bike championship ( finished 4th last year in over 35 class) but this year will be running in the 'modified' class

EDB743DA-075C-49C4-A0AD-952B98254683-48667-00000D84903B8EC3.jpg

FA17D298-4976-4C22-BEFA-37EE6655F6EB-53086-00000EC67BC4E509.jpg

last years chinese piece of cack, Stomp KZR140 (running against 160cc bikes all year and beating most of them)

98C6B921-9679-4B42-9ECC-916F2F18F45B-6778-000001C1DF2C941E.jpg

d605e2b5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks very much like Whilton Mill. It's not i'll eat my hat.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

I've just been shown this:

http://www.learnerlegal.com/125cc-cruisers/huoniao-hn125-8/prod_10.html?review=read

It's so affordable!

But is it good? I've never even heard of the make before. Also, would I be able to get it with only a CBT and a provisional driving license?

Avoid Chinese bikes at all cost.

I belive i did my CBT on that or something very similar. Wouldn't do more than 50mph.

They are just rust on wheels. Within a year it will be broken. This is from experience. My friend bought 2 Chinese bikes, both quickly died and they were only 1-2 years old. I then badgered him to get a 1990 Honda CG125 for £600 and it, as Honda usually are, was the benchmark for reliability.

Get a normal 2nd hand bike.

But yes all you need for a 125cc is a CBT (£110~), your provisional license and insurance.

• Supporters

I thought as much, I'll look for something second hand then. Are there any websites you can get second hand bikes from? All I can find are proper dealers that sell stuff second hand after reconditioning them and you can get bikes new for about the same, so it seems stupid.

I bought my bike off eBay, although i'd probably avoid that if you're not that confident at looking at 2nd hand bikes etc. Can find some nice bargains on there though.

BikeTrader (autotrader) is probably a good start to look at.

You after a particular style of bike, or just need something to commute on?

• Supporters

I don't really know enough about them to pick styles, I'll just look for something I like the look of.

I've been through all this about 800 times and have yet to realistically consider buying one, or taking my CBT, there's also factoring my mum into it, because she'll probably just shoot me in the head if I buy a motorbike.

But frankly, cars can suck a dick. I'm not paying thousands of pounds for a piece of shit box and then paying double that again, to be allowed to legally drive it. It'd be cheaper to buy one from some shady guy in an alley, drive with no license and no insurance and then just pay the fines if and when I get caught out. It's a bloody con, literally.

I don't really know enough about them to pick styles, I'll just look for something I like the look of.

I've been through all this about 800 times and have yet to realistically consider buying one, or taking my CBT, there's also factoring my mum into it, because she'll probably just shoot me in the head if I buy a motorbike.

I worked my way around that by buying it before telling her :P Mum came home from work to find a shiny bike sitting on the driveway XD

TBH there is not a huge difference in performance between a standard commuter bike, and a 4t "sports" bike. Only like a 15MPH difference, better acceleration but costs more, and higher insurance.

If you want proper sporty looks and performance get a 2t, however it is technically illegal to ride unless restricted on a provisional license.

Have a look at a Yamaha YBR or a Honda CG or CBF, They are generally the cheapest of the good bikes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I thought there was a limit or something for two years after the test?

depends on what licence he holds, and his age to some degree.

if he has a A2 licence (restricted) he can ride any bike as long as it produces no more then 33horse power.

after having a A2 licence for 2 years you are considered experienced, and it then gets auto up graded to an A1 licence (full power any bike etc)