DCS or RICAS compact

geoffreym
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i'm considering getting either the Warrior A-Tacs FG DCS or RICAS Compact.

I've been using the warrior TMV vest which i like a lot because of the snugness and low profile.

if i were to get the DCS route i would also get a PLB belt but which one should i consider getting?

thanks for any help

P.S. does level 3a soft armour provide any protection against stabbing weapons (e.g. knives)

I have the Warrior DCS and PLB set up. Amazing bits of kit and very Comfortable.

So that my vote.

No.

none at all? how about sharpened sticks :huh:

I have the Warrior DCS and PLB set up. Amazing bits of kit and very Comfortable.

So that my vote.

any specific reasons? i'm chest 43" and waist 38" (lost a bit of weight) so would it fit snugly with little to no movement?

I used to have a RICAS type carrier and I liked it but was some what bulky and on a hot day i melted.

The DCS covers what needs to be covered and has enough room to carry what you would need. It may be because i started to use the belt rig to share out the weight.

It is just the most comfortable set up I have had.

Quality is top notch and prices new are fair.

• Supporters

I've got my DCS to fit snug and not bounce around with a 31" waist, you'll be fine.

Overall it's the newer design, more refined. The RICAS line are all copies of old school Eagle armour carriers which are great in terms of soft armour coverage if you're worried about frag & shrapnel, but I don't see a lot of real grenades or IEDs in airsoft. The actual carrying capacity is the same in the real world; I can maybe get an extra pistol mag or something on the chest/radio on the upper back of my RICAS compact, but the main load carriage area around the waist is primarily dictated by your torso size with most PCs, not the PC itself.

I've got my DCS to fit snug and not bounce around with a 31" waist, you'll be fine.

Overall it's the newer design, more refined. The RICAS line are all copies of old school Eagle armour carriers which are great in terms of soft armour coverage if you're worried about frag & shrapnel, but I don't see a lot of real grenades or IEDs in airsoft. The actual carrying capacity is the same in the real world; I can maybe get an extra pistol mag or something on the chest/radio on the upper back of my RICAS compact, but the main load carriage area around the waist is primarily dictated by your torso size with most PCs, not the PC itself.

I don't suppose you could simplify that, from what i understand the DCS is the newer (and better) design, and that it will be snug and supported by my waist?

and that soft armour can protect against shrapnel, which in my mind says it should protect against some stabbing weapons?

Unfortunately it might just be the 76hr lack of sleep stint, in which case ignore my ramblings.

If you've been using the TMV you might find the DCS a wee bit on the small side. I personally would go for the Compact as I prefer the look of it and you can still easily use a PLB belt with it as you can see on the WAS facebook page with their pics.

• Supporters

Whatever you choose will fit, don't worry about that side of things.

Nickona has a point, the TMV is a large vest whereas the DCS is a compact PC, so there will be a big difference compared to what you're used to. Depends how fussed you are about heat in the summer, you might end up putting on the DCS and thinking it looks much too small on you, but on the up side you'll stay a lot cooler come july. The RICAS Compact might suit you better because it's bigger, but then that's not so great for the hotter months.

Soft armour I couldn't advise on, I bimbled around the falklands for a few days once wearing some but that's the limit of my experience. An airsoft forum probably isn't the place to ask questions about stab protection, I'd advise contacting some retailers (like UK tactical) who sell the stuff.

okay then, i'll be going for the RICAS as I think the DCS might look a bit weird on me, plus I prefer a lower centre of gravity, and i am much more used to larger vests.

I'll post up pictures of the finished loadout as it should look pretty cool.

Archived