R85 & magaznes

Hubert
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

To put a long story short, I and my R85 do not get on well. I've had this thing repaired, patched up and serviced 5 times since I bought it. Last June.

Anyway - when I got it, I had 3 mags - the 450rnd that came with it, and 2 TM M4 300rnd that I bought extra. They all used to fit into the R85.

However - it died, and as part of the repairs a new (red) hop-up was installed. I'm assuming it is an Element Air-Seal chamber version (M4 type). After this, the TM mags stopped fitting - they didn't lock into place, or fit the feed tube. However, the orgional AA mag did fit.

I recently had my R85 fixed again - it came back last week. I decided to do a little testfire in my garden today - only to find that noneof my magazines fit. They all have the same problem - they won't go in far enough to get locked inplace by the mag catch.

Any ideas as to what is wrong? Or how to solve this? - Do only some types of M4 mag fit?

Thanks,

Hubert

So let me just get this straight the mag wont go far enought to get locked it place??

I know this is going to sound stupid but have you got them in the right way round?

Also what was last fixed on it?

Thanks

Jack

Yes, I have got the mags the correct way round :lol:

(Its a bit difficult to put them in backwards anyway - first, they're the bent STANAGs, so it would be obvious and second, they won't actually fit in the magwell if they're put in the wrong way!)

It was the gear-box trigger linkage that was replaced last. As it broke - and short circuited.

Well, before the last repair, I know that G&P M16 midcaps fit (after my mate mixed my and his mags up) - it might still fit, I don't know.

The repair was by my local skirmishing & supplies shop - I've had it done their before, and they've always been great.

(The only reason it has had to go back again is because something else breaks - due to the wonder that is cheaply made chinese components :rolleyes: )

I don't know what magazine they used after they fixed it this time. Since my AA's mag was partially empty, I assume they used mine.

note to self - if I ever buy an L85 again, don't buy AA. ARES? ICS?

also - learn to spell!

• AF-UK Founding Member

Well if they got the AA mag to work I can't really see why you wouldn't be able to get it in.. imo it's one of those things you've got to be able to see really, can you see any obvious reason it won't go in? I might just take a bit of a wiggle or a harder push than before? I don't know how far off it is from going in.

Oh, god, I can't believe I was so stupid...

Its sorted now. The guys who fixed it, noticed my comment about how the mag catch was a little bit uselss - wobbles, and falls out. Well, they've sorted that out, but putting a brand new catch and spring on. A super strength one.

Also, thanks Dev, because of the new catch, I wasn't pushing the mag in properly. So your last post was pretty much on the dot - its me and not the gun :rolleyes:

I'm stupid! :lol:

Thanks.

The only problem now is getting the magazines out. I had to take the entire mag-catch off....

Lets put it this way...there will come a point, when it just isn't worth paying to get it patched up. When that day comes - I'm going to take this thing apart, piece by piece to try and see how it works. or should that be "how it should work"?

Also - off topic I know but - I'd really like to keep using an SA80 (pref L85) for airsoft once I've become UKARA'd. Any ideas on the current avaliable ones?

G&G is the 'good' version of AA - so I'm not too sure about them.

ARES - the newer metal gearbox versions - I've told are ok. Anyone got anything to say?

ICS - Haven't heard much. Are they any good?

STAR - expensive versions of the ARES V.1 - so not good?

Thanks again.

Archived