Importing from HK

Curly68
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have done a quick search on here but couldn't find what I am looking for, so sorry in advance if it has been posted umpteen times before! If someone can direct me to the correct post, then please do.

We are looking at importing a rif, sight and mags from HK and were looking for a guide on how much we are going to have to pay with regards to import duty, VAT (obviously 20%) and I presume Parcelforce Worldwide charges.

How much would we need to allow for on top of the HK price please? Any downfalls to doing so or are the savings worth it?

Many thanks in advance.

• Supporters

I did up an excel spreadsheet a while ago that calculates this, but the bloody download link died.

Basically add together the total cost of the items + shipping. You'll then get charged 20% of that in VAT, if it totals over something like £180 you'll get 'import fees' which is another percentage which depends on the nature of the items and the customs officials take different judgements so it can vary (around %18 for a ball park figure). Then an 'admin fee' from parcel force which will be about £12 for smaller packages and increases up to about 20 for larger orders. So you'll be able to work out there whether you feel the potential savings are worth it.

Long as you give the HK retailer your VCRA defence/site membership number or whatever it is you use then it should all go through customs fine. There are stories out there where people have hit delays and snags with customs inspection but in the years I've been importing from HK on a monthly basis I've never had any significant delays caused by the UK border.

Lovely, thank you. Will work it all out then.

I see your not far from us CK, maybe we could share costs on an order sometime?

Archived