Got lipo's yesterday and i think i have a problem?

CES_williamson
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

ok so yesterday i got my lipo and a charger to fit in my peq box on my gun and i got it home and started charging it and it took maybe 20 mins and then it said it was charged?!?!? maybe this is normal but i used to just have the normal batterys and they took hours?

is this right that it charger really fast?

and i heard that if you drain them of all power they just die so i left my battery with full charge over night just wondering whats the best way to store them? i have seen people say store them at 50% battery charge but what if you leave it for too long and the charge just drains? and the battery goes dead?

thanks

charlie

I suppose it depends on the charger and battery for how long they take to charge!

Definitely do not drain them fully - that will kill them. Either buy a cheap battery meter and check the charge at lunchtime on a game day, or just take 2 batteries and swap over at lunchtime.

That's correct for long term storage, about 50%. My charger has a Storage setting and will charge/discharge them to the correct level. I have left some of them for over 6 months after that, then charged them up for game day with no problems whatsoever. From a Storage charge to full on a 1300mah 7.4v Lipo it takes about 45 mins on a 1c charge rate, but the batteries can handle 5c so in theory I can charge them up in 5-10 minutes!

I normally charge them up the day before a game so they are left fully charged overnight - again this doesn't cause any problems.

If you leave them for too long and the battery dies, they cost about £12 each so just buy a new one ;-)

• Supporters

LiPos charge fast, it's fine, it's a good thing, nothing to worry about. Just another reason why people should move over from the obsolete stuff.

As mentioned do not drain them, unlike old school batteries this is of no benefit at all. The main cause of LiPos swelling up and other issues is when people shoot their guns til the battery's totally dead. You can store them for a long time no problem though, give em a charge and leave em in a metal tin or a fire-safe bag (which technically people should've been doing with NiMh all these years). I left all my LiPos for over 4 months last time I went away, no dramas at all.

Archived