No true airsoft shotgun?

Jake117
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If I'm correct there are no airsoft shotguns that act like the real thing. That is, fire multiple bb's per shot. I know there are the cheap DE ones that have 3 barrels and 3 springs but thats a bit naff.Now this seamed a tad weird to me because surely bb's and shotgun pellets are closer related than bb's an bullets and yet here we are without a 'true' airsoft shotgun.

My idea would be to more or less use small grenade launcher shells in a shotgun. 4 bb's per barrel, 8 or so barrels and there you have it. A shotgun that fires 32 bb's per shot.

For a hop up unit it could use the paintball hop up technique of a slight s-bend in each barrel. This wont be that accurate but it will create the extra range it would need to go up against aeg's, plus its a shotgun :P

Anyway, only 3 problems i can see with it is it will take quite a bit of gas and bb's as well as having to eject the shells so might need some kind of basket on the side to recover them. But I think these are reasonable shortcomings seeing as you would have a true airsoft shotgun. Also the recoil would be pretty cool too :)

Thoughts?

• Supporters

Unworkable, otherwise it would've been done.

In proper shotguns the BBs used are immensely small in comparison to BBs, buckshot only consists of about 8 "bb" sized shots, with a whole lot of smaller shot thrown in to still add effect to the scatter.

If you were put 32 BBs into the barrel of an airsoft gun, they'd fill more than half the barrel, even if it was the same bore as a real shotgun.

On top of that, as you said above, you'd have to use a phenomenal amount of gas to fire that many BBs in one go at any reasonable velocity and that would make the fps very inconsistent and consequently, extremely dangerous. Someone could probably put a pebble down their barrel and use all the gas to just fire that, it'd be like having a miniature, man portable cannon of death.

There'd also be no way of retaining the BBs in the barrel without putting a lid on it, which would be impractical.

Closest you're going to get to a proper shotgun in airsoft is this one:

Sorry to piss on your parade... I wish it were possible too =[

There are TM trishots that are better quality than the DE ones :)

And you can get 3 pellet buckshot so its pretty realistic.

• Supporters

I think £180 is wwwaaaaaaayyyyy too much for what is essentially two pieces of plumbing with a gas release valve shoved in...

Meh, until AI releases their impact version, all 40mm shell are essentially "shotguns" rather than "grenade launchers"..

m203 for masterkey, caw for semi (well, revolver :P )

CAW-RL-L.jpg

and yes, I mostly see shotguns being used as rifles. pump action rifles is boss B)

I use an ASG tri-shot which imo is the best spring tri-shot out there, better quality then the DE and not as overpriced as the TM (which also cannot be taken apart to repair, mod etc)

There are already gas shotguns which use shells just like shotguns but the issue is you need to eject the shell and they also cost an arm and a leg

I really want to see a shotgun which uses the same concept as the grenade launchers but in the 1216 model shotgun which has 4 barrels holding 4 rounds each. It would be perfect because we could load different types of round in each loading barrel so we can switch between them instantly. We could have different pellets which could fire single round for long distance at high FPS, 3 rounds mid distance, 6 at CQB at low fps so no one complains about too much power :P ect. I would love to see a version of this shotgun for airsoft. Also maybe some decent blowback in these things. I understand why (bit hard for space in there)

in theory this could work make a long cylindrical mag that holds say 20 bb's and gas which would load into the front off the sheel tube on a pump action each time you pump the gun you charge it ( like with a co2 air rifle ) also make the hop longer so it would hold say 4 bb's then hey presto a gas pump action shotgun with no need to hunt for empty shells or just build a usas 12 or sagia it a normal gbb fashion with a multi load hop ( if that would be able to achieve )

• Supporters

There appears to be a lot of misinformation in this thread. Allow me:

There ARE propper shottys, Tanaka make the M870 and Maruzen make the M870/1100 (I own the 870 version)

Both tanaka and maruzen fire multiple rounds from a single shell and eject the spent shell to the side.

The 'basket' is actually called a shell catcher/brass catcher - but these have their own problems, They fill up after 15 rounds and start to jam the shotgun to unusable levels after about 5/6.

G&P Make M870's they work of an internal magazine tube and no shells, but do give a scattergun effect IIRC.

The tri shiots:

All are equal.

TM/DE/ASG, doesn't matter, the DE and ASG have a nicer finish on them, but all 3 function the same really. as there isn't a gearbox that needs shimming and fine tuning the TM/Double Eagle comparisons on AEG's don't ring true.

If you want a shotgun for airsofting, get one of the tri-shots.

If you LOVE shotguns and want to use them occasionally, invest in either a Tanaka + nice shells or Maruzen + £100 of upgrades.

and remember guys, This is all my personal experience coming to use here ;) you don't work in an airsoft shop for 18 months and not pick up many variants on the same thing.

• Supporters

I cannot for the life of me find a single 870 anywhere you lucky SOB!

Seriously get one of the gas shotty's the only problem I had with the standard M1100 is after a lot of use it start's stove piping and misfeeding even without Brass Catcher's

• Supporters

I was really impressed with the tri-shot I test fired. Dunno what make it was mind, it was a quick lend at The Stan. The range is impressive and I loved the way the BB's spread out in flight.

Archived