M4 full metal above 500fps ?

sjpage
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone

I'm new to airsoft and after purchasing a couple of guns am now wondering if it is possible to purchase an

Full Metal M4 (KWA, Cybergun price range)

With metal gearbox & Barrel

That will take a SP170 without requiring a stronger motor or gearbox

What I want is the cheapest possible full metal automatic gun that will go above 500fps with 0.20g bb's

I am aware of regulations regarding using these in matches, I really only want this for long range plinking on my backyard

thanks

Stef

Never mind fps during matches. It would be illegal to own at that fps.

mmm yes good point

would have to disable semi !

"Provided, therefore, your Airsoft model does not exceed the UK limits, as recommended by the majority of UK Airsoft Site Operators, and you do not brandish or display your Airsoft model in a "Public Place", you should have no problems regarding your Airsoft model. These limits stand at 328fps for any airsoft toy capable of semi-automatic or automatic fire, and 500fps for any single action airsoft toy."

In that definition, single action means that it needs to be re-cocked manually before every shot, i.e. a sniper rifle that is wholly spring powered. Any AEG is self loading by definition and you cannot disable Semi, as otherwise it becomes full auto only. According to the ACPO definition, any AEG capable of full auto over 372fps is illegal.

Not sure if this really is the case, gotta wait for a lawyer.. but according to your own quote:

>>These limits stand at 328fps for any airsoft toy capable of semi-automatic or automatic fire, and 500fps for any single action airsoft toy.

>>328fps for semi-automatic

From the air gun (rather than airsoft) world I know they do ball bearing firing UZI's running on CO2. As these are obviously quite a bit over what we could use as airsoft they are locked to semi, but they are semi as in self loading.

So I think the comment there is just covering the " I dont use it on auto " defence, you need physical changes that mean it cant be switched to auto (without pulling it apart). Locking it to semi.

Some sites I have seen have a view on snipers that they should be bolt action, as this slows down the rate of fire. I know of one that has 350 FPS max auto, 400 FPS semi only and upto 500 FPS bolt action if recall correctly. However I am not sure this is a legal thing, just like some sites ban Propane, others ban CO2, and others dont care as long as its under the FPS :)

If you want an airsoft gun firing at 500fps you'd be slightly bonkers. A firearm firing low velocity ammunition has an FPS of 750-ish, and an aisoft gun crono'ing at 500 would be unstable as all the parts would be extremely powerful, and might malfunction or over-perform. That sort of speed borders the lethality line as well, even with a bb.

also most bolt actions fire 500 fps on .2 but the shooter will allways use a min of .3 ammo when playing which drops the fps down closer to the 400 marks the ranges you can get with a semi auto fireing 400fps on .2 is more than enough for any back garden unless you own a farm ect having said that look at the yanks and asians alot of there full auto guns go upwards of 500fps so to answer the orginal question yes it is possible but that dont mean its a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a rather fascinating and slightly sexist interview with a female airsofter in Taiwan. In Taiwan the law is apparently 780 fps for RIFs! Can you imagine that! Ouch.

They don't play at that FPS but they are free to go to 400 or presumably 500 fps if they wanted.

Does that sort of FPS actually help with range and accuracy over distance though?

http://popularairsoft.com/airsoft-angel-taiwan

• Supporters

The article says that the legal limit is 20 joules per square cm... I'm not sure how that equates to standard joules measurements. But 20 regular joules is more like 1470ish fps with a .20 and would kill you fairly easily if it hit you in the head, it would imbed itself into you at the very least. Although, so would 780fps.

But on the topic of fps and range, of course more fps helps with range, the higher the fps, the more range you'll get, it's just simple physics. Accuracy is another thing though, BBs are aided in accuracy by hop up because it helps better centralise the airflow, as well as increasing the range. Once you go above a certain fps BBs are inherently unstable, because a sphere is terribly un-aerodynamic. The ballistic co-efficient of a ball is not a good one...

500fps snipers under UK limits don't use .20g BBs, because 500fps is just too fast for a sphere to be stable. So they use heavy ammo to lower the fps and give the BB more stability. The weight also helps with deceleration, it doesn't happen as fast with a heavier projectile. Wind also doesn't effect it as much because it takes more of it to alter the couse of something of greater mass. So on the whole, heavier ammo provides much greater accuracy, assuming the gun has the power to still spit the ammo out at a reasonable velocity. In my experience, BBs of any weight seem to offer the best accuracy when they're travelling between 320 and 350fps.

People don't seem to realise, but highly upgraded snipers are only actually propelling BBs around at regular AEG velocities. A sniper that can fire a .20g BB at 500fps will fire a .46 at around 330fps, it's just that the heavier weight BB carries a lot more energy when travelling at those speeds than a .20g BB does, just because of the weight. The energy is better maintained as well, because the weight drags the BB through the air, so it decelerates more slowly.

How is it Sexist?

This interviewer's question is somewhat of a derogatory stereotype, not that I'm a proponent for feminism. I just found that whole statement quite funny.

"Usually girls choose something else other than airsoft like hiking or shopping for example. Why did you pick airsoft as a hobby?"

Archived