ak47,mp5,l85 or m14?

AirsoftTed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

My sister is buying me a gun for Christmas but I just can't decide between the aforementioned (eventually I'll get them all but for now...)

What do you guys think I should get? and which brand?

Teddy

Id say either an L85 or the AK design.

MP5 I wouldnt chose unless I was playing a CQB game.

And the M14 I see as a DMR rifle, and well there is no point of a sniper in airsoft unless its for decoration.

I'd say it depends on the budget really...

If you're going L85, go for ICS. Most reliable and easy to work on L85 around.

G&G's MP5 is cheap but good. As are the ICS MP5s.

• Supporters

I assume you're having it two toned?

I'd probably say MP5, 'cos it's more suitable as a starter gun, nice and light and magazines are small, meaning you can carry more without needing to bother with a chest rig. Cheap too and G&G make one as a two tone out of the box so you won't have to pay a fee to have it painted. Since it's sold as a two tone and won't have been painted, you're more likely to be able to sell it off second hand once you've got UKARA sorted as well.

Lastly, all the others would look atrocious in two tone, I think I'd cry if an L85 was two toned.

To be honest though, if you're 18 or over and don't have UKARA yet, but plan to buy a black gun once you've got UKARA. Just wait.

It's cheaper.

If you're not getting it two toned, then go with which ever you think will better suit the site you plan to play at the most. MP5 if it's small and indoors, or short range and outdoors.

AK or L85 for standard woodland, or M14 if you fancy upgrading it into a sniper style rifle, or playing it as a DMR.

Well I rather like the L85 design as it's compact but also has a decent barrel length so is still good at range, plus it looks cool. The M14 is one of those rifles that is a real looker but is pretty long compared to most modern rifles and is less handy (in terms of "pointability"), so arguably is less practical. However, objectively speaking they are also pretty accurate and subjectively, all these things are presonal preference so I wouldn't let that put you off if you feel like it. The cheaper M14s have chronic issues with the fire selectors though; I had an AGM (this is years ago now, don't even know if they're still going!) which had the same fault three times, i.e. that the fire selector kept breaking in such a way that I could only use it on automatic, so I got a refund!

Lastly, all the others would look atrocious in two tone, I think I'd cry if an L85 was two toned.

Yep - have seen an L85 two-toned with orange or lime-green furniture (at buyer's option), and another with an orange upper receiver as well as furniture! Suffice to say, it looked revolting! The AK would look awful two-toned, as well...

Don't all guns look awful two toned?

Should also add something useful to the topic :P

I'd go with an MP5 because they're light and compact, useful for woodland and CQB, plus the parts which will be two toned can easily be removed and replaced when you get your skirmishing defence. They either run a V2 or V3 which have a million and 1 upgrade/replacement parts :)

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice.

I forgot to mention, my sister is ukara registered so the gun will not be two tone don't worry!

And also, this won't be my first gun and I've been to a few skirmishes, looking for something other than my m4!

I'm now leaning in favour of an AK variant as I feel it gives me the most options for loadouts.

No need to two tone a l85, it already looks like a toy :D

I'm so glad there aint no dislike button:)

• Supporters

Wow, how dare you say that! D=

I might have to inflict some sort of horrible moderation powers upon you and make it look like you wrote you were gay, or something.

• Supporters

What's your budget, mate? There are some lovely AK's around, but I think a lot of them are overpriced for what you get, compared to what you get either for less from China, or for more from... China :lol:

All M14s, even the more expensive ones have issues with the fire selector, but it's usually a cheap and easy fix that you don't even need to open the gearbox for. As to which gun to get, I'd personally go for either the MP5 or the M14, MP5 cause it's small, light and cheap. M14 because there are few guns stock in the price range that will measure up to them. They are awesome. And I regularly play CQB with a SOCOM so you don't lose out too much :D

Personally I dislike the AK format. I think they look terrible and are annoying to aim with. I have an MP5SD as my first AEG and I can say it is epic! If you are going MP5 I would recommend the G&G Top Tech. I was up against somebody using a plastic ICS MP5 on Saturday, and I outranged him in every engagement (using .25g). Granted it is heavier (and the MP5SD is heavier still) but its good exercise, and lighter compared to metal M4s.

As for L85s and M14s. Go for the L85 if you're a patriot and like British rifles, even if the A2 version is mostly german. I can think of no argument for the M14 at the moment.

What's your budget, mate? There are some lovely AK's around, but I think a lot of them are overpriced for what you get, compared to what you get either for less from China, or for more from... China :lol:

I've been told £500, but now I've decided against buying a new rifle as i have only had my current (and first) one for a month or two. Instead I'm going to upgrade my M4 and get it perfect, the rest of money will be funding a 1911 MEU + a full USMC woodland marpat loadout :)

I'm definetly going to get an AK in the future though to create an IRA/terrorist loadout and I also think the AK opens up alot of opfor style loadouts :) when I do go to get the AK I'll ask your advice as from what I see on the forums you're the resident expert Ian ;)

Again, thanks for all the advice guys!

• Supporters

As for L85s and M14s. Go for the L85 if you're a patriot and like British rifles, even if the A2 version is mostly german. I can think of no argument for the M14 at the moment.

If I remember correctly, H&K were actually under the umbrella of BAE Systems when they made the update to the L85, so it was technically done by Brits.

Besides, a lot of militaries use weapons made abroad, even the US Marines use M16A4s put together by Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal.

Guest WhiteDeath

I've been told £500, but now I've decided against buying a new rifle as i have only had my current (and first) one for a month or two. Instead I'm going to upgrade my M4 and get it perfect, the rest of money will be funding a 1911 MEU + a full USMC woodland marpat loadout :)

I'm definetly going to get an AK in the future though to create an IRA/terrorist loadout and I also think the AK opens up alot of opfor style loadouts :) when I do go to get the AK I'll ask your advice as from what I see on the forums you're the resident expert Ian ;)

Again, thanks for all the advice guys!

Remember not to get a crappy ChinaSoft AK,I reccomend a G&G AK or a Tokyo Marui AK.A TM AKS 74u with recoil is a nice gun,much more fun to shoot than a regular AEG,not as accurate due to the recoil system though.

I can say having used one MP5 worked well in woodland, it was small and light so good for all day play. Was always tempted by the ICS MX5Pro with its single, 3 round and auto settings but never got round to it.

However if you have an M4 and decent budget I would go play with the AK as a second gun. I didn't use to like them until my friend introduced me to his, with full wood furniture they can be really quite something. Also as you say loadout wise with M4 and AK in your bag you can play may roles :)

Equally if you want to go off the wall, I love P90's but that wasn't on your list...

• Supporters

Personally I dislike the AK format. I think they look terrible and are annoying to aim with.

Leaving the sacrilege aside, what about AK's is annoying to aim with? I can understand short fingered people finding the fire selector a pain, but I dunno, maybe if you're really used to aiming over a briefcase...

I've been told £500
Good lard! You could have bought a Real Sword AK for that and still had change for mags.
Instead I'm going to upgrade my M4 and get it perfect,
Perfect? What do you reckon, Ed? Can perfection be had at that price, or any price even? I reckon it could be a good idea to upgrade a gun yourself, if that's your plan. You'll learn loads about how they work and that's got to be good for understanding what sort of gun/s and mods you might want in future.
the rest of money will be funding a 1911 MEU
Hmmm, an M4 and a 1911. Sort of like driving a Mondeo in Aviator shades - nothing wrong with it, nothing at all, I just find myself unaccountably thinking of Keith Lemon.
I'm definetly going to get an AK in the future though to create an IRA/terrorist loadout
Good man yourself! I'm in more than two minds about creating a terrorist loadout with a suicide vest. Apart from the practical issues, I can just imagine somebody getting the vicarious arse about it. Then again, for part of me, that's even more reason to do it! :lol:
when I do go to get the AK I'll ask your advice as from what I see on the forums you're the resident expert Ian ;)
Hardly mate, just an enthusiast.

If I remember correctly, H&K were actually under the umbrella of BAE Systems when they made the update to the L85, so it was technically done by Brits.

Besides, a lot of militaries use weapons made abroad, even the US Marines use M16A4s put together by Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal.

I think US Navy SEALS use HK416's too; does anybody know?

Then there's the choice of the Beretta M9 to replace the 1911 (see Ted, even Uncle Sam can't resist a bit of European style... even if, despite going to war several times to champion free markets, the US Govt then interfere in the market and insist that the Beretta name and design is franchised so they can be made in the USA).

Not quite the same, but not a million miles away from the UK Govt insisting on an imperial measurement redesign of the rifle the SA80 replaced, the Belgian FN FAL-alike, the L1A1.

What about a Cyma AK then WhiteDeath?

Took the words right out of my mouth, Craig. +1

Leaving the sacrilege aside, what about AK's is annoying to aim with? I can understand short fingered people finding the fire selector a pain, but I dunno, maybe if you're really used to aiming over a briefcase...

It's just personal preference. I've never liked them :) I dont have anything against people that do like them and use them of course. But it's just a no go for me. Plus aiming with the ironsights when I was using my mask was pretty hard. However I do remember seeing an AK that was heavily modified to annoy AK purists. I think the owner called it the AK-15 or M47 haha! I will see if I can find the video again, but I did like that one.

EDIT: I found it, it was from our very own CKinnerley!

• Supporters

Lmao I was actually going to suggest that!

Archived