new team vid

James Heal
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hey guys we are in the first stages of trying to use vegas 12 for our team videos could you please let us know what you think and how we could improve? we have never done anything like this before so all comments will be much apreciated. here is the link for the vid if you could also subscribe to our youbtube channel would be much apreciated :)

Nice bit of gameplay footage.

Thats a nice quality cam you have as well. what one is it?

Some advice I would give;

Recording - [Dependant on the camera] If your aim to to editi it later for some nice effects, if it permits, use the higher FPS setting (Frames per second, not feet per second :P) as defult most HD cameras come witht he opition of 30fps @ 720p / 40fps @ 720p / 60fps @720p / 30fps @1080p (its normally a range between those, or just stuck to one opition) The Higher FPS means that you can slow the video down more with out it looking choppy at points, seeing as slowing down video is a nice effect, even when done subitily, also means that when recording at the higher FPS you can use additional plug ins with ease (such as twixor) but it does mean a higher file size.

Camera stabalisation - There are plenty of open source software which will automatically track footage for you, and they are really simple to use, all you have to do is set an input and a output then let the software run, this will smooth out the footage real nice for you, which will help with any footage of you while running. I would advise first cutting up your videos first then rendering them out to AVI and sorting through them to see what needs to be stablised and what doesnt, but im just anal like that.

Audio Mixing - A big one when doing videos, is to try and get the perfect balence between the overlaying track (in this case the music) over the base audio (the audio track from the stock footage) Its also a good idea to seperate your track before hand, so in areas where audio is hard, or fussy you can cut from a seperate track that isnt binded with the video and replace the dodgy audio with bits stolen from elsewhere in the vide, its a cheap trick but it works really well.

Colour correction - Its just a basic little step, adding a colour correction layer just means that you can try to get a nice even clour across all scenes in your project, or use it to add contrast so its easier on the eyes.

On the topic of contrast, text, when using text over the top of a video, you either go for a full stand out image (try making a nice little Hit splat logo in photoshop which you can just paste over as a .Png img in vegas) as apposed to the solid colour text that can be an eye sore on its background.

I hope my little few tips help you out. I always enjoy seeing what videos people put together, and ill be sure to subscribe :D

Also, check out this website for free fonts, it may help you find some better fints other than those terrible stock ones http://www.1001freefonts.com/

thankyou very much for the help buddy thats some great advice we will continue to improve in the sport and the media side of things as we are new to it all :D

welcome dude, I always enjoy seeing how others approach editing media. One of the few things in life i really am passionate about.

If you need any help, be sure to message me, I'll always be happy to help out with any issues, or general enquiriers you may have.

Archived