Increased ROF?

psion
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i have a TM M4A1, its getting on a bit now, gotta be about 8-9 years old and i have owned it and cared for it lovingly since it was brand spanking.

I have a list of extrenal mods about 3 feet long that is going to cost me a small fortune but my question is about internals, i would like to up the ROF, i am making around 290-310FPS which is fine by me, keeps it safely under the 328 site limits, but it fires a little sluggish.

Applying the knowledge i already have i considered a battery upgrade (8.4v up to 9.6) however i am worried about stripping gears etc. so do i start messing around in the gearbox and put in new metal gears etc to keep them safe and up the voltage or does anybody have any other interesting ideas?

• Supporters

If it's lasted that long and it's TM, I'd have thought it'd already have pretty decent metal gears.

If it were new I'd say just stick a 9.6 into it anyway, but considering the age I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

A lot of people say TM are best left untouched, it's once you start messing that they start to go wrong, my advice would probably be to get a newer gun to try your hand at modding etc and then just use that instead. But it all depends on what money you've got and all that jazz.

It's up to you, but I couldn't happily advise using a 9.6 battery in such an old gun.

it has not been used as much as i'd like, probably only been to 5 skirmishes in its life. but apart from the the receiver lugs snapping off, it has never missed a beat! its my litte baby, and is currently pegged for...

New metal receiver

new stock

new handguard

M900 foregrip

optics.

all in all gonna be a beautiful piece of kit when its finished.

tempted by a tightbore barrel but concerned about FPS limits.

anyway, i might just take it into a store when i next get the chance and ask them to give it lookover.

Thanks.

To be honest I would leave it alone and buy a donor gun for you to upgrade. Players love TM's range and reliability, but its one of those guns that if you mess with it you will bugger it up royally and never get the un-buggered performance back. So for my advice I would buy a cheap metal M4 and mess around with that and keep you lovingly still working TM as your go to back up gun.

OK, so the consensus is leave it alone on the inside, i'm sure im fine to do the handguard and stock but what are we feeling about the metal body? i really want to do that!

Archived