"cadet starter kit"

AirsoftTed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of buying my first loadout and I've decided to go with the British DPM as I'm going to be playing in woodland.

I found the following on a site for only £40, first of all, is this a good deal? and are these items suitable :

"Assault Boots

Soldier 95 Trousers

Soldier 95 Shirt

Soldier 95 Ripstop Jacket

2 Piece Camo Wet Weather Suit

Olive Commando Socks"

The kit is all Grade 1 surplus.

Thanks in advance,

Teddy

Check out Flectarn for issued DPM. Pretty cheap.

• Supporters

If that's the Patrol Base deal you're looking at, then yes, it's a very good deal. Personally, I prefer German Para boots, which they also sell, to the British Assault boots, but either way you'll want to consider buying something to guard against blisters, such as:

Fabric Plaster Strip & Micropore Tape

Women's Shoe Gel Plasters

Wearing 2 pairs of socks, one thin, one thick

One or more pairs of Insoles

Getting the wet weather gear thrown in for £40 in this deal is a real bonus!

Edit to add: yes, they are eminently suitable for airsoft in UK woodlands.

If that's the Patrol Base deal you're looking at, then yes, it's a very good deal. Personally, I prefer German Para boots, which they also sell, to the British Assault boots, but either way you'll want to consider buying something to guard against blisters, such as:

Fabric Plaster Strip & Micropore Tape

Women's Shoe Gel Plasters

Wearing 2 pairs of socks, one thin, one thick

One or more pairs of Insoles

Getting the wet weather gear thrown in for £40 in this deal is a real bonus!

Edit to add: yes, they are eminently suitable for airsoft in UK woodlands.

Thanks Ian this is just what I was looking for. I'll check Patrol Base out, it was a generic Surplus store I was on before but Patrol Base looks much more proffesional and trustworthy. Thank you again for the great advice :)

dpm is a good choice but make sure the boots are comfortable/fit properly as these are important for safety not just comfort, and the wet weather gear is always useful this time of year

• 3 weeks later...

Would just like to say for anyone considering purchasing this deal from britishmilitarysurplus, I was extremely happy with the gear, it was all practically brand new and fitted perfectly! Definetly a good choice for those on a budget.

you cant go wrong with 90's era dpms but i have to agree with Ian german para boots are great boots also i pair of gortex waterproof socks normally under a fiver

Haven't looked at it but with the boot if they're used what you should do is go in the shower with them on get them soaking wet then walk round/keep them on for a few hours then let them dry naturally (not on a radiator etc. (it's a good thing to do with new boots as it softens the leather) you may have to do it a couple of times but makes sure they've been dried properly before doing it again.

Why well everyone walks different and on boots you wear where they bend at the toes well everyone's are different and softening the leather will make it easier for them to move in a different way (yours) and cause less blisters across the top of your toes.

It may be a pain but I do it with all my new boots (I wear them for a living)

Never done that with any new boots i have had (i also wear boots in my job 11 hours a shift)

Can understand with used boots but new boots have never given me blisters. Even with doing the Arnhem March in brand new issue assault boots and walking from Salisbury Cathedral to Winchester cathedral (25 miles) in brand new Bates Tactical boots.

I do it just to soften the leather and to help break them in. As I can just wear normal socks and don't have to worry about blisters. I don't use any tape double sock pairs etc. or you've just got some very tough feet. :-)

I use karimore walking socks in my bates and normal sports socks in the new pro boots as they are a size smaller than i normally wear.

Never had a blister in my life.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Nice wish I had your feet :)

Me too!

Does anyone have any experience with this site: www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk as I am justing out in airsoft and this kit would be perfect. They sell it here for £40 and I cannot find it on patrolbase, etc.

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with this site: www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk as I am justing out in airsoft and this kit would be perfect. They sell it here for £40 and I cannot find it on patrolbase, etc.

Thanks

Hi spook,

This is the exact kit I bought and was referring to in the OP. The kit is well worth the money and is in in excelent condition. Besides the regiment badges which are easily removed from the over jacket, I would of never been able to tell the clothes had bee issued. The boots have a few nicks and scratches and one of my boots was slightly bent as they hadn't been packed very well (laces tied together and thrown in a big box with everything else) but they straighten out when you wear them. The waterproofs were damaged too, the waterproof seams on the inside of the stitching were peeling off but I don't think that would effect their usefullness :)

Hope this helped.

• Supporters

So TeddyBhoy, just to be clear, the waterproofs are PVC not Goretex, yes?

Not that that makes the bundle for £40 a bad deal, btw!

Archived