for airsoft-ed

Richard65
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Just did a quick test in a friend's garden to see if you could see the hits with a spycam - can't in this one.

The cam was tied onto the front site with a cable tie. Also thing the lens was slightly misted uo as it has not been used for a while.

When we go to XSite lane End in a couple of weeks we will film some more. For a general video of a skirmish these will be fine but it would be interesting to see if you can see the shots using a go-pro or contour.

• Supporters

There's definitely something there sometimes when the gun fires in that vid. It'd be interesting to see if it does better at capturing the BB in flight if you fired into a dimmer area so that the white BB had more contrast against its background.

• Supporters

Tried again with a camo shirt as the target. Works a bit better as you can at least see the shirt move when hit.

Noticed a possible problem with the go-pro as the camera does not have a mount attachment - they are on the protective cases so if you wanted to use one without a case you would have to use some sort of sticky mount.

As I said in the other thread - quite happy to send you a case and mounts to see if you could live with these. Contour or spycams look a better bet to me.

• Supporters
Tried again with a camo shirt as the target. Works a bit better as you can at least see the shirt move when hit.

Noticed a possible problem with the go-pro as the camera does not have a mount attachment - they are on the protective cases so if you wanted to use one without a case you would have to use some sort of sticky mount.

As I said in the other thread - quite happy to send you a case and mounts to see if you could live with these. Contour or spycams look a better bet to me.

Not had a chance to watch the videos yet, but I've decided to go for the Contour, the filming clarity is the same, same angle lens, same resolution, same frame rate. I'll just have to deal with the slightly reduced sound quality and speed at which it auto adjusts to deal with changes in area lighting.

But, to ease the pain of letting those things go, the Contour is a far better design for airsoft use and as far as mounting it to things goes, I'm pretty sure it can be mounted without a case on it, it's also lighter, less bulky and far nicer to look at than the GoPro.

I don't think SpyCams would have the quality or clarity I'm after, for either sight or sound. But as I said, I've not watched the videos yet, not got the time... Girlfriend's over and the new cat is demanding a lot of attention... Any second now it's going to tear down the curtains...

• Supporters

I distinctly saw the odd BB in flight in that last one, Richard. OK it's not very good, or reliable, but it would definitely capture the action and a few BB's here and there - for £20 I don't think I can reasonably refuse to have a go!

• Supporters

Contour arrived yesterday whilst we were at skirmish, Ian. How fucking typical is that?!

Anyway, I'm just uploading the first video I've taken with it to Facebook, it's on my airsoft society page.

Or at least it will be once it's finished loading... In about a year. Still looking forward to yesterdays photos as well.

So far my only complaint about the camera is that I'm certain it said it could record 720p at 60fps - which apparently it can't. AND I can't figure out how to get it to shoot in 1080p...

rschris is on holiday in Cyprus as well, so I don't want to message him to ask because it'd kinda stop being a holiday if he were still being hounded by stuff from home life...

To the internet!

Btw, here's a link to my Society Facebook page for everyone else who might want to watch it:

www.facebook.com/sheffieldhallamairsoftsociety

(I'm in my pyjamas since it was just a video test, so don't diss!)

• Supporters

I've managed to figure it out now. You have to download Contour's editing software and it allows you to change the camera settings.

Archived