Airsofting and glasses

adamasrc
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm sure this has been asked before but im fairly new here, (hey :-) ) what's the best eye protection to wear if you wear glasses, i've played a few times without and can cope as i only wear them for driving, but thought it might be easier.

would prefer goggles but any advice will help, cheers

• Supporters

I'm also a glasses wearer and you have a few options;

Option 1; contact lenses, means you can wear any eye protection you like and is pretty cheap if you Bly use the lenses for airsofting. This is the route I went down, and it's worked perfectly well for me.

Option 2; shooting glasses with prescription inserts, you can buy special nose pads for ESS and other manufacturer's glasses which will allow you to fit a set of prescription lenses behind the polycarbonate ones. It's not the cheapest option in the short term, but long term providing your prescription doesn't change they'll last forever.

Option 3; big mesh/polycarbonate goggles with a small slit cut in the frame at the sides. I used to wear a pair of mesh goggles which I'd chopped up to allow my glasses to fit underneath. Wouldn't advise it, not particularly comfortable, reduced visibility with the mesh and still the same fogging problems because of the glasses.

Option 4; LAZERBEAMS!!! Laser eye surgery is supposed to be pretty life changing, and will give benefits in all areas of your life, but is either expensive or VERY expensive depending on what type you have. This is the route I would love to go down, if it didn't invalidate my medical category at work for a year :-(

I'm also a glasses wearer and you have a few options;

Option 1; contact lenses, means you can wear any eye protection you like and is pretty cheap if you Bly use the lenses for airsofting. This is the route I went down, and it's worked perfectly well for me.

Option 2; shooting glasses with prescription inserts, you can buy special nose pads for ESS and other manufacturer's glasses which will allow you to fit a set of prescription lenses behind the polycarbonate ones. It's not the cheapest option in the short term, but long term providing your prescription doesn't change they'll last forever.

Option 3; big mesh/polycarbonate goggles with a small slit cut in the frame at the sides. I used to wear a pair of mesh goggles which I'd chopped up to allow my glasses to fit underneath. Wouldn't advise it, not particularly comfortable, reduced visibility with the mesh and still the same fogging problems because of the glasses.

Option 4; LAZERBEAMS!!! Laser eye surgery is supposed to be pretty life changing, and will give benefits in all areas of your life, but is either expensive or VERY expensive depending on what type you have. This is the route I would love to go down, if it didn't invalidate my medical category at work for a year :-(

i tried contact lenses for a week and it was the most painful thing ever, i just cant do it i might look into option 2 as it sounds the easiest, thanks very much

• Supporters

I'm long sighted so I just don't bother wearing my specs. TBH I should, because my normal prescription includes a tint for photophobia and I do really suffer when it's sunny, not just with a headache eventually, but with temporary partial blindness! Which doesn't help the old aim...

I Started off using a Mesh Face mask, which TBH, worked pretty well. It gave the necessary protection and did not obscure my field of vision and was pretty comfortable to wear. I'm currenty using a Full Hockey mask which is not as good or comfortable. I'm currently looking into the Full Mesh face mask, which I have been advised is suitable, although I shall wait until I get the chance to try one on.

If you try the Mesh face mask option (Maximum £15 from all good airsoft retailers) I would just advise you to drill in some very small additional holes for ventilation and to reduce the chance of your Specs fogging up during game play, especially if your doing indoor CQB skirmishes.

This is from my own personal experiences, yours may vary. I would suggest looking into all the options first before decide to go down the more expesnive route as prescription sports glasses cost a fortune!!

Hope you find this useful.

I'm sure this has been asked before but im fairly new here, (hey :-) ) what's the best eye protection to wear if you wear glasses, i've played a few times without and can cope as i only wear them for driving, but thought it might be easier.

would prefer goggles but any advice will help, cheers

I Started off using a Mesh Face mask, which TBH, worked pretty well. It gave the necessary protection and did not obscure my field of vision and was pretty comfortable to wear. I'm currenty using a Full Hockey mask which is not as good or comfortable. I'm currently looking into the Full Mesh face mask, which I have been advised is suitable, although I shall wait until I get the chance to try one on.

If you try the Mesh face mask option (Maximum £15 from all good airsoft retailers) I would just advise you to drill in some very small additional holes for ventilation and to reduce the chance of your Specs fogging up during game play, especially if your doing indoor CQB skirmishes.

This is from my own personal experiences, yours may vary. I would suggest looking into all the options first before decide to go down the more expesnive route as prescription sports glasses cost a fortune!!

Hope you find this useful.

yeah thanks a lot that was helpful, i have looked at those full face mesh ones but i prefer the look of the mesh goggles.. however as i only struggle in indoor cqb when its dark and there's a lot of shadows i might end up buying one just for cqb. thanks a bunch

• Supporters

Looking back, I don't think I made my point at all lol! It was that I feel like it's a choice between various evils and boils down to what will compromise my airsofting and/or my life most: wearing glasses which will steam up, as will prescription lenses in goggles; switching to contacts which I find uncomfortable and annoying; or just putting up with my visual limitations. So far the latter is working for me, but my eyesight is getting worse as the years pile on... send not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for my knackered old carcass lol!

I know the feeling Ian! My eyes are going with age too. I have just recently signed up for free trial contact lenses for which I want to give them a go during a skirmish soon. I can cope with a little bit of fog I get with my glasses and mask, but ultimately I dont want to fog at all. I used to play football without my glasses without any issues, but due to the nature of our hobby/sport, I'm not sure going without my specs would do me any favours. My eyes are pretty bad.

Saying that, I do like the look of the full face mesh masks that are now oin the market and I reckon these may offer more breathability and help reduce fogging of the specs. Will give that a try too.

Hi Adam,

Did you get any goggles or masks in the end? And what area are you from?

yeah thanks a lot that was helpful, i have looked at those full face mesh ones but i prefer the look of the mesh goggles.. however as i only struggle in indoor cqb when its dark and there's a lot of shadows i might end up buying one just for cqb. thanks a bunch

• Supporters
I know the feeling Ian! My eyes are going with age too. I have just recently signed up for free trial contact lenses for which I want to give them a go during a skirmish soon. I can cope with a little bit of fog I get with my glasses and mask, but ultimately I dont want to fog at all. I used to play football without my glasses without any issues, but due to the nature of our hobby/sport, I'm not sure going without my specs would do me any favours. My eyes are pretty bad.

Saying that, I do like the look of the full face mesh masks that are now oin the market and I reckon these may offer more breathability and help reduce fogging of the specs. Will give that a try too.

Yeah, sooner or later I'm sure I'm going to have to try to get used to contacts because no amount of ventilation stops my specs from fogging up - I'm just too much of a sweaty bastard whenever I do any exercise these days. It's another thing that I can't see getting any better either :D

• Supporters

URL Craig?

• Supporters

www.body-armour-protection.co.uk/ess-rx-inserts.html

I'm sure with a search you could find some in the uk

Ive always used ESS glasses as I can stand mesh, never seem to get fogging issues either which is handy- might be a little different with these behind them?

www.body-armour-protection.co.uk/ess-rx-inserts.html

I'm sure with a search you could find some in the uk

Ive always used ESS glasses as I can stand mesh, never seem to get fogging issues either which is handy- might be a little different with these behind them?

Unfortunately, that link is blocked for me as i'm using at work, but this link worked.

http://www.polimil.co.uk/ess-ice-rx-lens-c...nsert-wire.html

It states that it is suitable for a range of corrections to +/- 6. Mine is +7. bugger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESS-ICE-Advancer...=item35b51c9030

Found the insert frame on Ebay for just under £24 inc P & P but the actual frame and lenses all seem to sell for around £35 from various websites. Definitely something worth looking into.

• Supporters

I can't see how they won't fog up myself.

revision glasses with the prescription inserts £40 (not including the lenses)

Spec savers will insert the lenses for £39.

Spec savers will insert the lenses for £39.

Damn that is costy but sure would be better actually for me then using "Loadout Master Ultimate Goggles" and under that my glasses, I think spending those £39 won't be painful as it wont be pain in the arse to actually wear goggles and glasses under it...

Damn that is costy but sure would be better actually for me then using "Loadout Master Ultimate Goggles" and under that my glasses, I think spending those £39 won't be painful as it wont be pain in the arse to actually wear goggles and glasses under it...

I dont think £39 is too costly really, I know the other high street opticians will want to charge more, much more in some cases, so its money well spent.

dan9416 has highlighted "Revision glasses" at a lower cost. You could be looking at a total spend of around £80 with the revision glasses and something similar for the ESS range, depending on how cheap you can source the frames and inserts.

It all looks a good bet to me and something i'm going to invest in very soon. Will certainly give some added freedom when not having to wear a full face mask that hampers you when aiming down your rifle.

:D

Right, Viper have a pair for £25!

Viper glasses

• Comes with 4 interchangeable lenses, Black, Mirror and Yellow
  • Hard case, and soft pouch.
  • Head strap
  • Insert for presciption lenses
  • Cleaning cloth

Has five reviews and all give it 5 out of 5. Job done I reckon.

How does that work tho, as for the Viper glasses, how do you get the presciption lenses in? You simply go to the opticians ((there where you got your normal glasses)) and they put it in or do you take of the ones from your normal glasses and place it inside them? ((sorry have no idea how it works)) If so I think that would cost better and look better then buying them big goggles! If it works like that I might buy them beside them goggles.

I as well seen some videos ((from scoutthedoggie if i spelled it right)) seen a guy with viper styled glasses and under that normal prescription glasses.

How does that work tho, as for the Viper glasses, how do you get the presciption lenses in? You simply go to the opticians ((there where you got your normal glasses)) and they put it in or do you take of the ones from your normal glasses and place it inside them? ((sorry have no idea how it works)) If so I think that would cost better and look better then buying them big goggles! If it works like that I might buy them beside them goggles.

I as well seen some videos ((from scoutthedoggie if i spelled it right)) seen a guy with viper styled glasses and under that normal prescription glasses.

You just takes the inserts into somewhere like spec savers and they fit lenses in for you for £39. The inserts clip onto the nose bridge and stay fixed there behind the interchangeable lenses. Other opticians may charge different prices. I went into spec savers the other day to enquire about the pricing and they can also thin the lenses if needs be for a bit more £££.

Archived