What are you driving?

iAcorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Supporters

Well from my wayyy earlier post, my MG ZT 190 went beyond economic repair (that and £280 road tax and £75 every 3 weeks in fuel)

so I got a b6 Passat ..... what a mistake, everything that could fail ... failed and I do mean everything (steering column lock, turbo, even vw dealer failed to tighten cam bolts when I had the belts done, EPB, injector wiring loom etc etc)😡 .... 18months of .... hell😡

so for the past year I now have a 2016 Nissan Leaf .... motoring has never been sooo cheap (£15-£20 a month electric, no road tax etc), no cambelt, no clutch .... just brilliant!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Getting a little long in the tooth now but my first car that ive owned for almost 7 years now

2008 bmw Z4 2.5 si msport

Bought with under 40,000 miles still has less that 75,000 on it.

Ignore the s*&t hole its parked in that was the car park behind mine and my partners starter flat, we finally got out of that hell hole and bought our first house in November.

Thats her immaculate 1998 mx5 Berkeley edition hiding behind my car and it as an absolute joy to drive.

20200717_162536.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

it's my turn! I want a go!

started out in my family's runabout - '09 Toyota Yaris with the 1.0 Aygo engine. very practical and sipped fuel, but had less pulling power than a bluebottle fly.

as you'll see, I'm a sucker for cheap black VWs.

bought myself an '05 Golf TDI for cheap, cleaned it up, changed the coil springs and drop links, and sold it for double what I paid for it.

1003382153_Snapchat-1908606063.jpg.3d917892ffa3681141b81fcbff0ab430.jpg

currently on Polly, my '06 Polo 12V. bought her for cheap as an MOT failure, fixed and cleaned her up, now looking to do a few upgrades - 16" alloys, nicer steering wheel, dent delete, scratch delete...

343010682_Snapchat-1701158372.thumb.jpg.d297dd0c1d8c70d79eb996a32542e1cb.jpg

would love a Mk6 Golf TSI/TDI in the future.

• 4 months later...

I bought a Mazda Cx-30 2020 at the end of June 2020, after I sold my 2011 Mazda 3. So what can I say: Pros of the car: Bright, expressive exterior and interior design. Excellent handling. Good soundproofing of the cabin. Cons of the car: Problems with the build quality of the cabin The cabin is cramped inside, in comparison with competitors. Fuel consumption in the city is relatively high for a so-called hybrid engine. "Jerking" of the gear box when the 1st and 2nd gears are turned on.  My little experience of owning the CX-30 suggests that the price for it is clearly overpriced; if I were an importer, I would think about the pricing policy. For the same money, you can buy a CX-5 in a simpler configuration.

• 2 months later...

Car folks - advice appreciated!

The car: Toyota Yaris, 2005, 1.3 vvti

The problem: Sometimes the car takes ages to start. Sometimes it won't start at all, but starts up quickly the next day. Spark plugs changed out, same problem. It's inconsistent - sometimes it starts very easily, sometimes slightly delayed, sometimes I can hear the engine/starter motor groaning into life slowly.

There is a linked problem. After a delayed start, the engine doesn't put out as many revs as it should at idle. If I press down on the accelerator, I get a loss of power, engine shudders, before roaring into life in a delayed fashion.

Once I start driving, this problem disappears.

Any tips? Cheers!

22 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

The problem: Sometimes the car takes ages to start. Sometimes it won't start at all, but starts up quickly the next day. Spark plugs changed out, same problem. It's inconsistent - sometimes it starts very easily, sometimes slightly delayed, sometimes I can hear the engine/starter motor groaning into life slowly.

There is a linked problem. After a delayed start, the engine doesn't put out as many revs as it should at idle. If I press down on the accelerator, I get a loss of power, engine shudders, before roaring into life in a delayed fashion.

Any tips? Cheers!

Start with your ht leads, give them a once over with some wd40 or other moisture displacement compound. If the outers start to break down then they become susceptible to higher resistance due to moisture.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

Lol, the tax on most 4wd's is ridiculous, even some of the Diddy ones, although not too bad on my mitsi L200 🤔

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I quite fancy one of tho- [Looks up VED, insurance and running costs]

tenor.gif

anything that is classed as Light Goods / Commercial is way cheaper.

like an L200, Land Rover vans (including double cab) etc etc.

Or buy pre March 2005

Pre 2001 is the safe zone tax wise, love my Y61 Patrol. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned, will probably out live me 😂

On 24/11/2021 at 17:50, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Any tips? Cheers!

Late but check all the vehicle chassis / engine earths.

Check your not losing fuel pressure / have a blocked fuel filter or fuel pump pick up.

Check no water, diesel or otherwise in the tank.