Airsoft and Facebook

Samuelol
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This may well be a stupid question and have a firm yes or no answer but I was wondering what your views are regarding your equipment being seen on facebook? I for one know that if I were to gear up and have a picture posted, it'd spark a lot of interest in the sport with a fair few people. Surely I wouldn't have a special forces team burst into my house in the dead of night? No one in their right mind would parade their 'real' weaponry on a social networking site! lol.

It may well be that replica firearms are completely forbidden by facebook's site rules but if not, what are your views?

Again, go ahead and scream no at me! Just throwing this out here. lol.

Thanks,

Sam.

i dont see why there would be a problem with it aslong as you made it clear they were imitations and not real steal firearms

I think any pictures taken "in the field" are fine - that is showing off the sport, and people will think "hmm, that looks like fun war!" or similar.

But I think you should be careful with pictures where you are just holding the gun and give no explanation

e.g.

ANDERS%20BREIVIK.jpg

Im sure you get my point...

Having spoken to a mate who works in armed responses quite a few times about this, what kungfumonkey and Cyrax have said is pretty much bang on. Make sure it's obvious that your involved in airsoft (put it in the title or something) and unlikely to be misinterpreted as a terrorist.

Posting single photos is ok - but - don't be a prat. Posting a photo of yourself in a darkened room, wearing a balaclava and hugging an AK to you chest or waving a gun in the air - is very probably going to get you a visit from some nice chaps from your local ARU. Even if you say it's airsoft, they might send someone round to investigate.

A photo in a bright room, holding your new pride and joy (or just of the gun) isn't too bad, again make sure people know it's airsoft.

Finally - make sure your privacy setting aren't wide open for everyone to see. If you are going to post up photos - keep the settings to friends only. That way in the future, once/if people know you're an airsofter (and not a terrorist), they'll know why you're posting photos of guns.

Alternatively - if you're genuinely worried that your photos might cause a policeman to kick your front door down - don't post 'em.

• Supporters
I think any pictures taken "in the field" are fine - that is showing off the sport, and people will think "hmm, that looks like fun war!" or similar.

But I think you should be careful with pictures where you are just holding the gun and give no explanation

e.g.

ANDERS%20BREIVIK.jpg

Im sure you get my point...

Anders Brevik... Known by his friends as Mr. Tickle, due to the position of the grippod in that photo...

• Supporters

End of the day, airsoft is all over facebook already, so if there was a history of police knocking on doors based on what was on that website we'd probably be aware of it by now.

As mentioned (something you should do anyway) just be sure to keep an eye on your privacy settings. They used to be really complex and awkward but the privacy and account settings tabs are a lot easier to understand these days I find, less micro-management required.

Yeah, airsoft is all over facebook now anyway. As with most things as long as you are sensible then there won't be a problem. I know people who have pictures on facebook with real guns and because it's clear they are members of a gun club or whatever they don't even have any problems.

• Supporters

Something that happened to me recently is kind of relevant here:

Coming back from NAE12 on the train, I was dressed in DPM, wearing my vest because it wouldn't fit in my DPM bergen (with side pouches) with the ammo pouches stuffed with AK mags (because carrying them there made the bergen a little easier on my back) and carrying/wearing my MK6 helmet with cover, skrim, rubber and reflective recognition strap, so, apart from my shoulder length plus hair, I suppose I did look quite militaristic...

A plain clothes detective came and engaged me in conversation. It was pretty surreal because my instinct was to be secretive, but, after I quickly thought it through, I decided just telling her what was what was the way forward. However, she started into her cover waffle, which involved being somewhat flirtatious and using that as a cover for curiosity, which momentarily threw me, as she was quite good looking, and, for a second or two, prompted by wishful thinking I suspect, I began to doubt my assessment of her. The conversation between us flowed on and there just didn't seem to be a right moment to say, "Look officer, I'm just coming home from an airsoft event. I have got two RIF's with me, but they're out of sight in/attached to my bergen and I've also got my Skirmish Airsoft Mansfield membership photo ID right here..."

Then I started to get paranoid about what she might do if she realised that I knew she was Old Bill (and if any of you are wondering how I did know that, it's difficult to explain exactly because it's more than simply a checklist, but when you have been "a person of interest" enough, you do just know {although these days I'm as pure as the driven sh... er, snow}), like maybe her own paranoia would kick in and she'd think my ready answers, ID, etc., were all a carefully planned ruse... So we waffled on for yonks, her doing her shtick and I doing my best to appear as clueless as possible as she "ferreted out" the info I would have been happy to supply anyway lol!

You'd think they'd have better things to do really, wouldn't you? But don't be surprised if you find yourself in a similar situation if you do post pics of yourself holding what could be a real firearm...

• Supporters
Maybe it was the AK mags that attracted her attention? After all, it is only the bad guys who use AKs!!!

Yeah, maybe if I'd had the flaps open and a bunch of magpulls sticking out of 5.56 mags she'd have left me alone :D

cant say walking around with a tac vest full of mags is a great idea but anyway..

as far as photos on fb are concerned they are ok aslong as you avoid wannabe gangsta poses.

Archived