Airsoft Virgin

andychudley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I am a complete airsoft virgin, have played paintball on a few occasions but airsoft seems to present a more tactical element which appeals to me,

Enough of my rambling my question is where to start? I live in woolwich, London, and was hoping to find some like minded people to show me the ropes and if local, maybe meet up at a local site.

Any info, tips, or the like are greatly appriciated.

Many thanks

Hi guys I am a complete airsoft virgin, have played paintball on a few occasions but airsoft seems to present a more tactical element which appeals to me,

Enough of my rambling my question is where to start? I live in woolwich, London, and was hoping to find some like minded people to show me the ropes and if local, maybe meet up at a local site.

Many thanks

Welcome recent airsoft recruit to the darkside!

OK first thing to start.

1) Are you over 18? If you are, you are able to...

2) Buy yourself an AEG. This is an Automatic Electric Gun. Great starter guns are the G&G Combat machine's they cost between £100 and £140 new, come with a 300rnd magazine and some with a battery also (although it used to be common about 2 years ago, it doesn't seem to be anymore).

Try not the be tempted by cheap sniper rifles. They will be very boring for a new player (especially those used to paintball ranges!) as getting in the thick of it is the most fun for many people!

Please note. Unless you are 18+ and have skirmished for more than 3 times over a period of more than 2 months you cannot buy a Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF). You may buy a Two Tone rifle (IF) if you are over 18 years old.

3) Buy a good battery. Most guns these days don't come with a battery so you'll need one. I recommend http://component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_etc_.html for buying batteries. Great prices and quick delivery!

An 8.4v battery is sufficient for most gun. A 9.6v battery has better performance (higher rate of fire, less chance of lock-ups) but won't increase range! ;) Avoid NiCD batteries. NiMH is better.

I suggest you avoid LiPo batteries for now, until you have gotten yourself set up in the sport. LiPo's are very powerful and need care to work correctly or there is a fire risk!

Batteries are rated in milliamp-hours (mAh). This describes how much energy a battery can hold from full charge. I.e. a 1000mAh battery holds 5x less energy than a 5000mAh battery.

4) Buy a charger. If you can get one that beeps/changes LED colour/or cuts off when charging is full. You will need a battery charger to charge your battery. Over charging the battery decreases it's lifespan and capacity.

I got mine for £13 secondhand. Lasted me years!

5) There is an airsoft site really near you! One called Bunker 51, run by Wolf Armouries.

here's some info with rules and directions: http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...p?page=bunker51

Extra notes: You DO NOT have to buy a rifle to play. 99% of sites allow you to pay £5, £10 or £15 extra to rent a gun for the day. If you do this 3 times in say, 3 months, you can then apply for a UKARA recognised membership number. This proves you are a skirmisher and can buy RIFs rather than Two Tone. :)

Sadly, I am located in Suffolk/Norfolk, so I can't really make it ;)

I hope you have a wonderful, expensive airsoft career!

Hope this helps!

GP.

Many thanks

I live no where near london, But Welcome to the forums!

Archived