newbie needs advice!

andy84
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey my name is Andy, looking to buy my first aeg. I'm looking at a second hand army armament r85. Has anyone got one or know of anyone who does, who can give me some advice and insight on this gun please.

Hey my name is Andy, looking to buy my first aeg. I'm looking at a second hand army armament r85. Has anyone got one or know of anyone who does, who can give me some advice and insight on this gun please.

Yes. I've got three of them. What do you want to know?

Yes. I've got three of them. What do you want to know?

Basically, how reliable are they, is there any faults I need to watch out for. If so what are they. Are there any upgrades you can recommend. And anything else you can think of to look out for when buying one?

Basically, how reliable are they, is there any faults I need to watch out for. If so what are they. Are there any upgrades you can recommend. And anything else you can think of to look out for when buying one?

Ok, first thing is that the ARMY R85 is an exact clone of the early G&G L85A1 and bits from the G&G L85 fit. I'm not sure about the parts from the newest G&G L85A2, but it's more than likely compatible. You can also order parts direct from G&G if you can't source them locally.

The main problem they seem to suffer is that the trigger contacts burn out fairly quickly (all three of mine suffered that problem), but a G&G wiring loom fits, although you need to cut off the two small plastic lugs on the inside edge of the switch unit to get it to fit perfectly. To solve the problem of the new contacts burning out you also need to fit a MOSFET, which cuts down the current on first contact and therefore stops the burning.

Most people disconnected the blowback unit on the R85, as it was not that great. If you find one with a blowback unit still fitted then it's up to you whether you retain it or not.

The OE barrel and hop unit are not the best, but can be replaced with any 510mm long tight bore inner barrel, if the original is still fitted. The hop unit can be replaced by any M4 type hop. I've got a selection of Madbull Ultimate and standard metal hops in mine.

The R85 is made to make "semi" a pre-cocked function. What happens is that when you pull the trigger first time on semi the gun doesn't fire, but moves the piston to a pre-cocked position right at the back of its stroke. The second pull fires the gun and re-cocks the piston, so basically you get a very fast shot off on semi because the piston is always only a couple of teeth away from release, unlike standard AEGs where the gun has to run through the whole cycle to fire it. That said, it's not the most reliable feature, especially if your battery is a bit low on charge or amps.

I run my main L85A2RIS on a twin leg 7.4V 2600mAh Lipo, my L85A2 standard handguard on an 8.4V 2200mAh NihM and my L85A1 standard handguard on an 8.4V 3300mAh Nihm (the inside of the handguard is opened out to take the larger battery). Of the three, the middle one occasionally suffers from the R85 double fire problem. This is when the trigger pull doesn't put the piston into the pre-cock position each time, but seems to do 1 1/2 cycles on semi, so the first pull fires two shots but leaves the piston at rest, then does another 1 1/2 cycles but fires one shot and pre-cocks the piston, etc, etc. I've cured this on the other two guns by using the larger mAh batteries, although it also may be down to stripping and rebuilding the gearboxes as well. On the middle one, switching back and forward between semi and auto and using the anti-reverse latch release (silver lever in the top of the magwell) usually sorts the problem, until the next time. As I use mid-caps I normally fire on semi anyway, so it can be a problem sometimes when it drops into the double fire mode.

The gearbox seems to cause some owners a real problem, but having stripped, cleaned and repaired numerous V2 and V3 gearboxes I find the R85 box to be the easiest to work on, since the piston and spring section is a separate unit and is released from the lower by removing one small pin, and the whole gearbox lower is removed by taking out two other pins and an R clip. I did some work on two of mine today and removed each gearbox within 1 minute.

Other than that they are fairly reliable, although a bit heavy, as they are mostly metal, with a steel receiver, but that also means the receiver can take a bit of punishment, unlike plastic AEG's or those made of the cheap pot metal the Chinese turn out. The down side is that if you scratch the paintwork then you are exposing steel to the air and rain, so if you get them wet you need to strip, clean and dry the receiver to stop it rusting.

If you want a look at what you can do with them, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some pictures of my three L85s.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived