Cost of an AEG

Richard65
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

HI,

Been looking at avrious sites in advance of being able to purchasemy first RIF.

I get the impression that once you go over about £250 you are paying more for the finish, branding etc rather than a higher quality specification. Is this the case?

I can see that many skirmishers will want to have the most realistic guns available but from the purely playing view will the more expensive gun perform any better in terms of distance and accuracy or do the parts just last a bit longer?

• Supporters

Veeery brand dependent.

ARES make some guns that can cost the earth but are made of cheddar on the inside and won't fling a BB farther than I could spit one. Real Sword on the other hand are again quite pricey but make their guns almost as tough as the real thing. Basically there's no general rule you can follow, the different manufacturers vary wildly in performance, longevity and overall build quality.

Mid end guns and low end guns can all vary as well. You can get some chinese clones that are incredibly nice for the low cost, some that are truly dire.

Does cost relate to performance?

Yes and no.

From my experience, it depends entirely on the manufacturer you're looking at buying.

ARES produce some pretty expensive AEGs. But from my team-mate's experiences, the increased price for ARES's product has nothing to do with improved reliability (quite the contrary if my pal Andy's Umarex G36E was anything to go by)

JG produce (or did) some incredibly cheap AEGs - but for £130, their M4s and G36Cs performed as well as any CA gun could (which were usually £80-140 more expensive than JG).

ICS make everything from cheap starter stuff (£150ish) to incredibly expensive kit (£400+). Almost all of it works flawlessly, I've yet to read a bad review of an ICS gun.

For me, it really depends on which company you're looking at, and which guns you're thinking of getting. You can certainly get some brilliant stuff with a budget of £150-£250.

• Supporters

One of the ranges I looked at was G&G which has the combat range and then the top tech range. The top techs seem to go from just over £200 to around £400 but then there is an upgrade kit available for another £130 ish.

Top tech is basically a metal body and a tightbore barrel ontop of your normal combat machine. I think maybe a different motor too but don't quote me on that.

I will vouch for the G&G guns, they are good rifles.

You will find that even when you spend £200 + on a AEG, you'll end up keeping your G&G as a back up gun because they are really reliable.

Ive upgraded mine with tight bore and new hop up and it works a charm.

Archived