Barrel upgrade?

Simon Rees
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I've been to a few skirmishes now and started getting myself set up with some gear and an AEG (CA M15A4 RIS Sportline) which I'm really pleased with. It shoots around 326 FPS (+/- 3FPS) on 0.2g consistently, although I am using 0.25g which gives about 285fps.

Accuracy is pretty good. I have an Eotech 552 clone which gives good accuracy to consistently hit a dinner plate sized target from the shoulder, standing, at about 30-40 feet. I have not been able to properly guage accuracy and range over a greater distance than that.

External changes are just the 552 and a magpul PTS ambidextrous single point sling mount.

Internally it is bog standard (Blue aluminium 6.08 barrel and the Hop unit that came with it, standard motor, gearbox etc). I have bought an extra battery. The 9.6v Ni-MH 1300 MAh that came with it was OK, but I got a Vapex 2200 MAh one so it lasts a whole day without charging (with the 1300 as back up).

So my question is this. I am looking to carry out some 'baby steps' upgrades. Initially I want to upgrade the barrel to a tightbore 6.03. I've more or less settled on getting a Madbull black python ver 2. Will I need to change the hop up at the same time, or the bucking at least, or is the external diameter of the barrel compatible between the standard bore 6.08 and the tight bore 6.03, maening the new barrel will slot straight into the existing hop unit?

Plus, is the barrel upgrade a sensible first step? It feels right that with the rest of the gun's stats being acceptable (to me) and consistent, accuracy should be the first thing to improve. I'm not really interested in really hot FPS. I just want it to be reliable, shoot straight, shoot long and look & sound OK, in that order.

Cheers

So my question is this. I am looking to carry out some 'baby steps' upgrades. Initially I want to upgrade the barrel to a tightbore 6.03. I've more or less settled on getting a Madbull black python ver 2. Will I need to change the hop up at the same time, or the bucking at least, or is the external diameter of the barrel compatible between the standard bore 6.08 and the tight bore 6.03, maening the new barrel will slot straight into the existing hop unit?

Plus, is the barrel upgrade a sensible first step? It feels right that with the rest of the gun's stats being acceptable (to me) and consistent, accuracy should be the first thing to improve. I'm not really interested in really hot FPS. I just want it to be reliable, shoot straight, shoot long and look & sound OK, in that order.

Cheers

Basically yes. The Madbull barrel should fit easily, as should the existing hop rubber, although you may want to experiment with the hop as OE ones are not always the best. If you asked the question on here you are likely to get a dozen different recommendations, as different setups work better than others, but the same barrel & hop rubber can work differently with a different hop unit & nub. The only real way is to try it yourself and experiment until you get the best range and accuracy for your setup.

Thanks both, that's helpful. Eventually I'll upgrade the barrel and Hop Up, but nice to know I can do one at a time to ease the impact on the wallet, etc.

Thanks again! :)

Archived