Plate carrier VS. molle belt and yoke

NickM
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So far I've only gone to skirmish days and have carried all of my kit in pockets and a drop leg double mag pouch which obviously isn't ideal. Now I’m having trouble deciding on how to carry more kit for milsim and weekenders. Molle is obviously the way forward and as the pouches are universal they’ll come later.

What I need is the base for the pouches to go on, plate carriers are obviously very popular but I can’t help feeling that you are stuck running the whole thing all the time, although they are going to be inherently stable. From what I can tell the belt/yoke combo allows all the same kit to be attached and would let me run the belt only on regular skirmish days, but from experience of webbing in cadets they bounce around when on the move.

For me it needs to be able to carry: 5 M4 mags + speed loader, a hydration pouch, 2 large pouches (1 for a tarp, bivibag and ammo, 1 for food and a mess tin)

What would you recommend and why?

• Supporters

if you're on a serious budget, one of the CIRAS style plate carriers from ebairsoft.com will fulfill most of those needs comfortably, you'll have to buy a couple of large utility pouches to fit everything in, but the whole lot shouldn't run you for more than £60-70.

If you've got a little more to spend, I recommend you get something along these lines:

http://www.rvops.co.uk/operators-gunners-rig-tan-2029.html

It's all molle, will carry everything you've asked for (except hydration, but it's compatible) and TAS are a respected brand used by quite a few people on ops in real combat, so it'll hold up for airsoft with ease.

Additionally, I cannot recommend RVops highly enough, went down there this afternoon to buy myself a new chest rig and they could not have been any more helpful!

as far as which is better is down to personal opinion and which is more comfy for you. i run a small molle vest and it can be quite restrictive when getting up from lying down etc but other wise it holds what i need on the front with some space at the back if i need it. so if maximum moveability is what you require then belt all the way but if not a vest is a good shout

ah the age old argument its all in personal taste if your a fast paced player that only needs 3 to 6 mags and a utility pouch for grenades and some ammo vests are great if your after high endurance events a belt rig with 8 to 12 mags 2 to 4 utility pouches for all you need as for a camelbak they can fit to pretty much any rig or loadout

also on a personal note webbing better than molle

• Supporters

You can run a really slim belt with just a couple of pouches, or a big padded out MOLLE battle belt with a harness and tons of deep filled pouches.

You can also setup a really low profile plate carrier with no cummerbund and super light pouches or you can buy a massive general-infantry style thing with a ton of pouches all over it.

The only fool proof way to know what works for you is to actually try these things out and gain experience over the years unfortunately. Personally I prefer a PC because I just find it easier to carry the hydro bladders I need with that MOLLE estate on the back, which compared to digging an issue water bottle out of a PLCE pouch as in 'the bad old days' in training is far quicker and easier.

• Supporters

Don't get me wrong it's far from impossible to do that, various harness configs that would allow it, but there's also a lot that don't. Whereas any PC with MOLLE on the back will let you mount a hydro carrier. You're quite correct in the point you're making, I was just highlighting the fact there is something of a difference in general.

As a larger chap (read fat middle aged bloke), I prefer good old PLCE over a vest. I find the mag pouches sit on my hips rather than my belly, which is more comfy for me, and still easy to get at. The rig is cheap, easy to add cheap pouches to and carries all I want it to (6 mags, extra bb's, water, multitool, spare battery and food) and above all, did I mention its cheap?

I also have an assault vest for the winter. I have adjusted this to the point where it sits low enough to be comfy and holds a bit less than the plce as its all fixed pouches and I find laying down to be uncomfy.

I have tried a chest rig, but it looked and felt daft as it balanced upon my stomach and just felt wrong.

So really its horses for courses and everyone will have a different opinion. Really you need to try something on and see what it feels like.

price wise my PLCE with 4 ammo (8 mags btw) and 2 utility pouches was £15 and extra pouches are £2-5 from surplus shops.

Assault vest was £20, so you really don't need to spend the earth unless you want to.

• Supporters

Me personally its a PC all the way its what im used to wearing but as a few have said it really depends on whats comfortable for you.

• Supporters

Hmm guess I'll need to just bite the bullet and buy something, guess if it’s all molle pouches they can be transferred if I decide to change. As a bit of a pie lover I'm swinging towards the belt option for mobility reasons I think as I do like to shoot from a prone position and am seriously considering going for a sniper set up eventually the belt gives me the most flexibility at this stage. Eventually that may change and I may go PC but for now it looks like belt and yoke are the way forward.

Thanks all. Nick

• Supporters

Nick im not a skinny beanpole like a lot of the peeps i come up against whilst playing airsoft and my platecarrier still has plenty of adjustment on it i even have a utility pouch for those beautiful pies :D

• 1 month later...

has everyone forgot the humble chest rig i run the bulle chest rig with fold up admin panel its light and gives enough molle space for what ever i need i tested when i first got it and i cld get 4 frag pouches 4 40mm pouches 2 quad mag pouches 2 large utility pouches dump pouch and water bottle pouch on the front and sides then clipped my camel back hydro pack on the back.

its bassicly for the guys who want the pc look but dont want the bulk/weight

Archived