Halo Mill

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Did anybody go on the opening day (11th) or the sneak preview day?

Who is considering/getting the membership?

Just wondering...

• Supporters

Got a URL?

• Supporters

I know im at risk of sounding really stupid here.

Could some one tell me what "halo mill" is

Please and Thanks

It's a new airsoft site opened by the Huddersfield based store Patrol Base.

I went. I enjoyed it so much I played both afternoon sessions.

Really good site, the best CQB site I've seen.

As I don't know what the membership consists of, I can't really comment on whether I'd get it - but I'll certainly be going again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Any more news on this site?

Is it worth a treck from Nottingham?

What, if any, are the standout features of the place, the marshalling, or anything else that grabbed your attention?

The few photos there are on the website make the place look pretty clean & tidy; is it?

If it is all nice and clean, is it still ok to charge around the place clattering off/through the furniture/fittings etc. like you would at, say, The Stan, or do you have to play nice?

• Supporters

on the home page photo, middle at the top is me :D

So far we havent had any bad feedback on either training days or skirmish days.

It is clean and tidy, we did put a lot of effort into the reception - looks very professional.

Clattering around in full gear and bouncing off things would be allowed, but you would very quickly get bored of everyone knowing where you are and getting you shot all the time ;)

It isnt a large site at all, it was designed for training, room entry, pistol work etc. We run skirmishes because they're fun (if a little bleedy at times :lol: )

Worth the trek? Depends how much you love the M1, I'd make the trip, but do aim to get up for one of the weekend slots (check the website timetable)

• Supporters

Bleedy, eh? Sounds good! I'm assuming that means Palco Firepower CO2 pistols are allowed? I ask because I've just been informed by Free Fire Zone that CO2 pistols are not allowed there, which is a ball ache...

I noticed the tag-line "beyond 350 FPS"... What are the site limits?

If I do come up, it'll be on the train.

• Supporters

you missed the first bit of the tag line there ;)

Taking you beyond 350fps

Limit is 350fps, taking you beyond as when everyone else has a weapon firing 350fps, what gives YOU the edge? The most epensive gear? no, The time put in to learn how to use your gear and being quicker to ID and shoot your target than the other guy!

Palce CO2 are allowed, we use them as hire guns :D - just make it well known to us that it is your personal model

• Supporters

Yeah, I can respect that. The thing that got me hit most often at NAE12 was being too concerned about being guilty of friendly fire and, even though I often had concealment and/or surprise on my side to begin with, the hesitation either meant I only got 1-2 of a group when I could have hosed the lot of 'em, or got shot straight away after a vocal challenge. Evidently not everyone is/was as concerned as I was about blue on blue...

• Supporters

It's something that the more you play, the more you realise quicker who is friendly.

very often I have come round a corner, ready to fire and had my hands in the 'I'm not a threat' position before the other person (friendly) has processed me coming into the room.

Everything about getting good at the sport is about practice. be it shooting in a straight line, drawing your pistol quickly and having rounds on target to the mental aspect of not bricking it or messing up opening fire and giving your position away before the time is right.

haha bleedy.

I'm really sh*t and Systeman (the guy with the systema and the massive 8" revolver) came into the the bank and I was like sh*t and fired three times with my Palco USP, somehow missing, and then I pussied out and was hiding behind the desk. Then just as I was about to come back up I remembered that he wasn't just going to f*cking stand there, and he was behind me, shot me in the arm from very close range. I am so newby and have pretty sh*t stuff really but then again the whole point of Halo Mill is to make you better...

It is actually a great site but it is small and not really for a proper skirmish to be honest, as Dave said.

And personally I really prefer outdoor skirmishes, I'm much better at them, but then again it costs about £20 and Halo Mill -for me- is much closer & cheaper really.

• 2 weeks later...

Small review on Halo Mill

My team had full use of the site last Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00

First of it clearly signed posted and easy to find and from pulling up into the car park it's a very professional first impression

The reception is clean, tidy and well laid out, better than any other site I have seen in over 15 years of airsofting.

Staff are friendly and knowledgeable, without being cocky, we used the site for a day of training and honing are room clearance drills and tactics.

Halo Mill is perfect for this purpose, that much in fact it's also used by a number of police forces for the same thing. The on site staff as I said earlier where great and willing to impart his knowledge and experience as a police firearms instructor without being condersending.

As our team is maid out either ex or serving HM forces in the main part it was interesting and valuable for us to hear different tactics that could be used in certain situations.

I'm speaking for the whole team now and I can say that we found the experience of Halo Mill useful and will be using it again in the very mere future.

• 1 year later...

post-9652-0-24123100-1404999133_thumb.jpg

Recently had a weekend in Yorkshire and as well as a visit or two to Patrol Base, I also visited Halo Mill, I enjoyed it so much I took out membership and plan to make the trip as soon as I can!
What makes it unique and worth the effort is that there's something on nearly every day! You don't find many sites running something nearly every night of the week!
There a real mixed bag of people there from regulars to first timers, from teens to old f*rts like me!
Games from simple Team Death Match to more complex and confusing(?!?) games and a site that, although not huge is very well used and has excellent facilities!
The staff are great and very friendly and join in with the fun and games! A particular favorite of mine is the individual timed CQB lane, that is seriously addictive and can be as simple or as complex as you want! A computerize timer runs for you and you can do mag changes or transitions, it's all good!
There is great atmospherics with the lighting, smoke and music/sound effects and the use of pyro!!
The CCTV system covers most of the site and if you're not playing, you can watch all the fun and games. It's also used as a training site by the local constabulary's fire arms teams!
To quote the big guy!! "I'll be back!"

I don't know if it was just us but the last time I went I noticed it looked really easy for the opposing team to defend the mosque and the room above the shooting range. They have a pretty good view from the windows down to the APC and they can easily cover the large space which is the range. It certainly requires teamwork and communication to do well since there are so many angles and directions you can be shot at from. CQC tactics are what Halo Mill is trying to promote and you must make best use of them in that environment.

Reception area is brilliant. Space is great after the expansion, so you have enough room to get all your gear out. They even have a sofa in there and a vending machine as well as lots if hire guns, snacks and ammo. Marshals are very good at emphasising the importance of safety which is great to teach the younger players and beginners.

Personally I do prefer woodland, but Halo is unparalleled in what it offers. Proximity to myself is a big plus and weeknight games as opposed to fortnightly skirmishes means that airsoft is available to more people and you can get your airsoft fix more frequently.

Membership isn't the best since they say you can only go three times before you have to sign up. It's a clever way for them to earn more money and people and prepared to pay it.

For £60 you do get your monies worth. First off you enjoy the benefit of reduced rates. Not only this but I'm pretty sure it still includes a short training session. Whether this is still with the same guy anymore I don't know. I'm afraid I don't remember his name but he was an instructor for years, training not only the police but even the SAS. Last time I heard this guy was doing naval warfare training with the French Navy and he works for Euro Tactical. Needless to say it's a really good introductory course which teaches you a lot of useful real skills. I believe it was worth £20-£30 and lasted an hour and a half to two hours in total.

I went to a second course as well with the same bloke which covered some slightly more advanced tactics.

You also receive a voucher when you take out your membership (and upon renewal) which IIRC entitles you to £5 or £10 off when you spend £50. It was great for us since we shop at Patrol Base quite a lot (store is only about ten minutes away from us!)

In conclusion I would thoroughly recommend this a lot to anybody. I think it's also great to introduce newer potential airsofters (I have brought a couple mates before and my Australian cousin) due to the accessibility of the site. I've seen there are people from around the area who have came to Halo who otherwise probably wouldn't have heard of airsoft but noticed Halo Mill due to the location. It's definitely worth a try.

I'm a regular there and a member. I go nearly every week without fail (although I have been on holiday recently and had a tat and I would rather wait until it's healed just in-case it gets hit and knocks a scab off).

The membership for £60 is worth it. You save a great deal of money on skirmishes, you get to attend members nights (which are great because you just go in and game as everybody knows it and there are no newbies there) and you get free stuff (mainly food and t-shirts haha).

Overall I have been going since around March every week and I must say, the staff and marshals are friendly and they are tough when they need to be i.e. somebody cheating they will warn them, happens again they get kicked out etc etc..

Even for cqb, 350fps is enough and even though its single shot, you still have great fun and it helps your accuracy too, rather than just mag dumping down range to pin somebody down.

There are supplies on site, ammo and tools too. If you feel peckish you can walk 30 seconds down the road and you can find a few shops, rather than having packed lunch or what they have on site if you were at a woodland.

Long story short, if you can go to halo then go. You will love it. Its cheap, its fun and the staff are great!

The variety of game modes is great too, from stealth games, to ctf and even zombie games, there is something to make you have a great time. My personal favorite is the disco game.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Been there 3 times now and gained membership - cannot speak highly enough of the staff and site. 

Its a a small place but really good fun and really well run. 

I’ve only been going for short times mainly to get registered for UKARA and they didn’t even mind me changing the numbers in terms of teams - they got it and basically didn’t treat me like the bit of a dick I was being. 

Now ive got my rif I’ll be going for full evenings and I think this is a great strength of the site - open 7 days a week and can go for half hour to a few hours of frantic fun. 

I had battery issues with my old AEG and a slide issue with my GBB pistol and they fell over themselves to help which is always nice. 

Everything you need on site and other shops nearby for food should you need it. 

I imagine games might be a tad repetitive but that’s issue with a lot of sites. They do have other things on hand to spice it up like a bomb, fake money cache and noticed disks laying around that I imagine is search and collect style. 

Also love the kill counter - they have an electronic button at respawn that counts deaths - obviously lower the number for your team the better. 

Recommend a visit ultimately. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.