Arma 2 Mod DayZ

Flynn567
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been playing this for a few days now. Absolutely fantastic... The scope for freedom is amazing. It's just a shame it's only in alpha, as with improved zombie animations and AI it could be much, much better.

Looks amazing, the day I finish my computer I will get it. As said it is still in alpha but I wish that improve the zombies before they ad stuff like getting infections and getting rid of bandit skin.

• Supporters

I've been watching the SideStrafe series since the beginning - the moral choices and things you get put through are really intriguing, even watching someone else play is interesting.

This series of videos is simply epic. It's pretty rare that I enjoy watching other people play serious games, but this is just so good to watch.

I've been watching the SideStrafe series since the beginning - the moral choices and things you get put through are really intriguing, even watching someone else play is interesting.

Same here!

• 1 month later...

I do enjoy playing Day Z, but in these gameplay videos they have awesome guns, good positions and plenty of supplies. Whenever i find a gun i get killed buy some AK wielding moron who enjoys slaying those of us that just want a zombie survival.

I know "its all part of it", its just annoying when people camp police stations and hospitals just because they know new players will flock there to try and get supplies.

As an example, me and my friend were out in the wilderness, surviving. Ran out of supplies so went to some of the smaller towns and along the coast. I climbed a crane, got stuck, "jibbed" and fell off to the floor. Broke my leg. So, we make our way to a hospital. Me friend climbs up the ladder, grabs an injector and then gets shot from god knows where - he was no threat to anyone.

Having spent the last half hour crawling, i decide to go up the ladder and either die or heal my leg. I get shot as well.

Then, because there is no buddy spawning system, we repeatedly spawn on opposite sides of the map.

And, on the subject of spawning, twice i have re spawned with some good gear and just been shot straight away.

How do you guys manage to survive? Is there a trick i am missing?

/rant

I stay away from large built up areas. Means i have sh*t weapons but i stay alive.

Game f*cked up though when i loaded the game and all my gear and weapons were missing. ive now started again :@

EDIT

So much for that server being fair. Came across 2 choppers and a guy on a Quad. Even still everyone one prefers finding and killing players than surviving...

Best way to play this game is with a group of friends... Seriously its way more fun and it is easier to locate a threat, scope out an area and loot safely. Power in numbers! Unless you play at night and everybody else has night vision goggles. Just stay out of cherno and elektro if youre on your own and you should be okay to survive. Also the airfields XD

Spawed at the airfields LOL

Ran in, found the AKM, Had to fight my way out. Swapped it for a M4 with dot sight. Only 1 mag and 1 silenced mag but had to be done :P

5 mins in and already 30 kills and 1 murder XD

I think they should reintroduce the Bandit system! But in my ideal world, there would be certain things that are unobtainable if you are a horrible, human killing... murderer. No idea what. But it would be nice to punish those that kill people who are unable to defend themselves.

It wasnt really a problem until it got popular. I found out just before the whole mod kicked off so I had a short time where people actually played to survive. Now every 12 year old from CoD came over and pretty much turned it into a game of bandits. Which is a shame but this game emulates realism... So every choice somebody makes is part of the game. If they choose to be a bandit then its possible. The games design is good overall. I think I said before though the only problem with it is the engine. It's pretty poor. Hopefully ARMAIII will massively improve it.

These days these are the rules I go by:

All airfields, Cherno and Elecktro are shoot on site. Unless I'm pissing about. Sometimes I stash away all my gear and just run around with bloodbags shouting FREE BLOOD... Actually made some friends that way... Most of the time I get shot haha.

If a player has a high powered rifle or automatic weapon in the wilderness and is heading towards me, I shoot. If he goes in another direction I let him go. The only exception is if the player is carrying a 50 cal since he could turn around and take my head off from a mile away.

If a player is unarmed or only has a sidearm I leave him alone or say hello.

If a player is being overwhelmed by zombies I step in and help. Then extend the possibility of working together. I have also found a few good players this way.

Players in vehicles I leave be unless they notice me and stop to pick a fight.

-------------------

I'm pretty sure I have more rules but generally these work for me. Good balance between making friends and defending oneself.

bout the same yeah.

Got killed once by a guy with a quadbike and a M16 for no reason the other day. All i had on me was a hatchet. Still felt the need to chase me down and shoot me :/

I hate when games get popular. I started playing as soon as the mod was released, as i was already an arma fan. Now i see people who have no idea about the game and just bought it for the dayz mod... which is still an alpha.

Would love to find a decent server with like minded people. Cannot remember the last time i've ran across somebody and had a nice chat since the mod really took off.

Try Acorn 01 (my server) not 100% uptime due to hackers sometimes and such but Ive found a few good randoms on it :)

I have messed around with the ARMAII game. I sometimes play scenarios with friends but I did buy it for DayZ. Two games in one!

Lol whoever was the sniper on UK6 just hit the jackpot. Got all 4 of us in the cherno airstrip :P

Gonna miss my M4 CCO :(

just downloaded Arma 2 combined ops, finally, i can start playing dayz! :P

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand how frustrating it is to be randomly killed but in a way bandits are supposed to be in game and it is almost encouraged in a way. If you look for iPwnstsr4hire's DayZ vids he has a good argument on why he supports bandits.

You just need to be in a big group then you will be able to survive.

Unless there are hackers online. I was in a group of about 5 people. Hacker got us all at the same time as we moved in on the NW airfield. We were spread out approaching from the west side too. darn hackers. Luckily its my server so I could stop it to stop him hacking more.

• Supporters

Having trouble getting on today and yesterday, just sits on the loading screen (black screen with 'loading') for hours. I left my computer for about an hour and a half (wasn't the best idea really, if I had logged in, probably would have died), then came back and was still on the same screen. The games doesn't crash as such (it's still running in task manager rather than not responding), but stops on this screen, tried a few different servers, same result.

Any ideas other than re-installing the game/mod?

• Supporters

There's a guy I'm subscribed to on YouTube that's having issues with it at the moment, he didn't get Sunday's video up because he said he was having trouble with it.

Might be the same issue.

Perhaps it's happening to more than a few people, I think there has been an update recently, maybe that could have something to do with it?

Either way, I recently discovered a new Youtube series for DayZ by a guy called Sacriel, he goes about in a team of 3 - 5 and plays über tactically and singles people out to snipe at range. They seem to be going about it the right way as they manage to pick up some seriously Gucci shit in hardly any time at all.

• Supporters

Oh right, my mate's having the same problem too. Thing is, there are people on the servers we're trying to join..

I'm now watching his videos, they're so well organised. I hope to never come across him and his squad, wouldn't stand a chance!

When I get chance, I'm gonna go on an almost empty server and loot the airstrip, see if I can find myself something half decent :P.

There's a guy I'm subscribed to on YouTube that's having issues with it at the moment, he didn't get Sunday's video up because he said he was having trouble with it.

Might be the same issue.

Perhaps it's happening to more than a few people, I think there has been an update recently, maybe that could have something to do with it?

Either way, I recently discovered a new Youtube series for DayZ by a guy called Sacriel, he goes about in a team of 3 - 5 and plays über tactically and singles people out to snipe at range. They seem to be going about it the right way as they manage to pick up some seriously Gucci sh*t in hardly any time at all.

I'm subbed to that guy too but they really dont do much different in the YT scene. I run around with a group of 5 people most of the time. We have about 9 or so in total. I chose not to record DayZ because everybody seems to be doing it. Which annoys me somewhat but its the newest trend. I'm also all geared up though :P My character has a ghillie suit, AS50 with 5 mags left, Night vision, Rangefinder (although I mostly use the mildots. If the player is prone I use the rangefinder), L85 w/thermal and pretty much all the useful belt stuff including a GPS :) Seriously just sneak up on a few snipers and you have everything XD Plus we have the chopper on my server so we can find crashed choppers with ease... Just dont ask me to fly. Its NOTHING like flying in BF3

• Supporters

How do you work out range using the mildots?

I tried flying in Arma 2 (without the DayZ mod) and all I'm good at it nosediving straight into the floor.. not even going to attempt it in DayZ..

How do you work out range using the mildots?

I tried flying in Arma 2 (without the DayZ mod) and all I'm good at it nosediving straight into the floor.. not even going to attempt it in DayZ..

I will link to to a guide when I get home. Its different for every weapon. Also the DMR is constantly zero'd to 400m so remember that when using it. But the basics of how you do it:

- Find your target

- Place your crosshair at the point where his feet touch the ground. So basically it looks like he is standing ontop of your horizontal line

- Measure how tall he is in mil dots. So if he is 1mil dot high he is REEEEALLY far away. If he is about 2.5 (which is about normal) he should be within a good firing distance.

- Look at the mildot to distance chat and read his distance (will link you later)

- Press page up/down to zero to the closest 100m

- Do minor corrections high or low depending on how far he is and what you're zero'd to

- Shoot to kill! Only AS50s and M107s can one shot kill at any distance. Everything else you will need 2-3 shots at a distance

*unless its a headshot im guessing?

Just swapped my AK w/ 6 mags for a M4A3 with 3 mags. Can't aim for shizzles with the AK sights at night XD

Finding peoples tents full of gear is WIN. Shame i can't seem to find any rare weapons. Only got a M4/PDW atm.

Archived