Advice on upgrades for TM M14 SOCOM.

JRTIGHE
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I took my M14 to it's first skirmish yesterday. It's my first gun so excuse my lack of component knowledge, I'm trying to learn some more. It's the first time I really got to try the M14 out and it performed fairly well, however I felt it was slightly lacking in the range department, and this may be down to the meager 300FPS it outputs (goes down to 280 when it's not on full battery!). I was previously advised to leave it with stock internals but seeing its performance I'd like to squeeze a bit more out of it.

My site limit is 350FPS and I understand that could be achieved by upgrading the spring to an M110 model. I'd also like to upgrade the barrel to a Prometheus 6.03 but I'm struggling to find the correct length anywhere in stock in the UK. I need a 420mm inner barrel for my short M14 and they're out of stock *everywhere*!

People say the hop-up in the Tokyo Marui's are good and there isn't any point in upgrading them so I'll leave that.

Finally, how can I increase the range? Will the FPS increase and accuracy increase automatically do this for me? When I bought the gun it came with a nice 4x optical scope but I didn't use it as it just wasn't needed with the range I was achieving with the gun. Am I being unrealistic in my expectations?

I'd like to pay for the work to be done, so if anyone has any recommendations on which shops offer fair prices on upgrading your guns for you then that would be helpful. The reason I don't want to do it is because of the more complex nature of the M14's internals - I'd be much happier with doing it on an M4 for example as they're pretty generic and have lots of guides etc.

Thanks.

• Supporters

i think Finius was going to start taking stuff like this on but i`ve not heard a peep about it for a while so best to just get in touch

http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Laylax-PSS1...AY7XM.aspx?nh=0

That's 430mm - so probs want a silencer or longer flash hider to cover the extra 1cm ^^

Also look into madbull v2 and deep fire barrels as there also good and yea m110 spring + compression tweaks will help get that magic 350fps

HOWEVER - for me the m14 works better as a dmr as it has longer barrel so I'd get a few upgrades to bring fps to 420 (our dmr fps limit) - probably gonna need a few upgraded sears or a aa/zero trigger (if this exists for m14??) , add a tightbore barrel add some form of optics and away u go;

For our site you would have A 10 metre engagement range (isn't that far ^^) and you would have to use single shot but I seen people use this and spam the trigger really fast and still achieve over 120 rounds per minute ^^

Hope that helps

Liam

Hi Liam, thanks for your comment but I don't really want to turn my M14 into a DMR. I hope to use it more as a combat rifle seeing as it has a CQB barrel.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Rock-climby-Dave would tell you not to touch it. At all. You'll find FPS isn't worth much though. I suggest you play a little more first before deciding if you're really out-gunned compared to others and whether you actually want to spend the money upgrading, with the possibility of repairs if it doesn't hold up as you expect.

Yes, it was Dave who told me not to touch it! I'll go to a few more skirmishes then and see how I go :) thanks.

Tm are great out of the box and their hop is fantastic. I would suggest that you fettle the hop a bit to get it just right, when you do you will be surprised.

If you want better groupings then get a tightbore, a madbullv2 would be fine. You may also find that the weather was affecting it, with the wind and rain, especially the wind, 0.2g bb's go everywhere.

When people are talking about range, then they are talking in 5-10 foot extra not tens of feet. In the scheme of things thats nothing.

Sights are pretty much a gimick in airsoft and a 4x20 won't be much use on a combat rifle. All it would do is give you an idea of where the bb's are landing, be it short or long.

• Supporters

I hate to put a downer on TM, but all the TM guns I've ever seen or used have been absolutely abysmally awful in terms of range, I've tried a Recoil shock SCAR, M4 CQB and the FN57 and the shots were dropping off at ranges I would consider too short for CQB, my L85 could outrange them all by absolutely miles, yet all the owners of them seemed to think they were the best guns ever, boasting about the range when their shots were dropping short of the target by an enourmous amount, it's like they were blinded by the crappness of the guns. Maybe TM owners have a lot of false pretences, or maybe the hop rubbers were just off and the owners were ultra noobs, who knows? But I have a poor opinion of TM.

If I were you I'd up the fps with a stronger spring, maybe an M110, shove a tightbore in and see what sort of difference that makes. I find that just changing the barrel alone will give a noticable range increase and if you get a 6.01 you'll see a jump in the fps as well, without even needing to do anything to the spring.

Just my, whole heartedly honest, two pence.

Archived