Any help?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I am currently on a BTEC manufacture Engineering course and I am trying to come with an awesome project for next year.

RIF's are legally aloud, so I was thinking about an M82a1.

Not an AEG either, a full blown gas 500fps 8mm one. with hydraulics at the front for SUPERFANTASTICAWESOME recoil.

any thought?

any better Ideas? :lol:

• Supporters
I am currently on a BTEC manufacture Engineering course and I am trying to come with an awesome project for next year.

RIF's are legally aloud, so I was thinking about an M82a1.

Not an AEG either, a full blown gas 500fps 8mm one. with hydraulics at the front for SUPERFANTASTICAWESOME recoil.

any thought?

any better Ideas? :lol:

isnt something over 500fps classed as a firearm? therefore a license is required?

im not sure. sounds a good idea would need to be made of good metal and it would be beneficial to take a look at a Barret first to see where all the specifics are.

as for the course, your just set free and allowed to make anything? :blink:

• Supporters

I mean around 500FPS (touch lower, possibly 450)

Legal limit is 550FPS

good metal isnt a problem, I am currently at a tech college and Around £50/£75 is my budget for what the college pay, I pay for everything after that.

already checked Barrett, but there wasnt too much of any great help.

and the course - year 1 is mostly electrical, year 2 half 1 is mechanical teaching. second half is project.

• Supporters
I mean around 500FPS (touch lower, possibly 450)

good metal isnt a problem, I am currently at a tech college and Around £50/£75 is my budget for what the college pay, I pay for everything after that.

already checked Barrett, but there wasnt too much of any great help.

and the course - year 1 is mostly electrical, year 2 half 1 is mechanical teaching. second half is project.

yes but you would of been given a brief on what to make?

• Supporters

nope. we write the brief ourselves.

we book what classrooms we need.

we order what components we need.

at the end of the year, we get a product that can either be patented, sold or used by us.

several people from previous years have made money (on top of the EMA allowance for poorer families) from their projects. One of which is currently being used (succesfully) in the hospital in the next town over. The company who installed the system that it is for bought it for lotsa moneys.

• Supporters
nope. we write the brief ourselves.

we book what classrooms we need.

we order what components we need.

at the end of the year, we get a product that can either be patented, sold or used by us.

several people from previous years have made money (on top of the EMA allowance for poorer families) from their projects. One of which is currently being used (succesfully) in the hospital in the next town over. The company who installed the system that it is for bought it for lotsa moneys.

well if you feel its actually realistically possible with the tools you have then i dont see why you cant go for it, there also might be some people who would be willing to buy them providing there not stupidly priced and its well built.

However if your budget is £50 from your school and lets say your personal budget is £100?

VFC made a m82a1 (now discontinued) and it retailed for $1,650.00 and im guessing this was before the recession,

I say start looking at how much you would spend (then have some backup money) and beg borrow and steal wherever you can.

• Supporters

personal may stretch to £200 ITS A FRICKIN M82 FFS!!!!!!!

yeah, these weapons are so expensive due to work involved. Most people dont understand that the materials involved in making, lets sayy.... a custom screw for a digger (something we are looking at in detail) materials may cost £5 for it.

It would however also take a long time to produce one within tolerance. Its the time you are selling, not a product.

and time is money, and with the skills involved you CAN charge loads for it as anyone prepared to buy it can't just make one themselves...

its why high performance cars cost so much more. the materials involved may cost a tiny fraction more, but its the extra skill and time envolved in making custom chasis and engines that costs £100000000000

Making an M82 is (relativley) straight forward as all I really have to do for most of it is stick a lump of *insert appropriate metal here* into the CNC machine, program it up and away I go.

whilst that is going on I can be getting on with other parts I can hand machine. parts that need more detail and time to get right (gas workings).

No-one will notce the externals being 1mm too big, but if the internals are anything more than 0.02mm out the weapon will either:

1. not fire

2. fire badly

3. not fire and explode

4. all of the above

• Supporters

I am as of yet, undecided.

there will definatly be gas elements to the blowback, and I may have to get special permission from F+A to use it if it were gas, and thus semi automatic.

unless I make it gas AND bolty. could work and make the internals easier to make....

I think I'll go with that.

• Supporters

actually i just said a fail comment, if you were going to make it realisitc it would need to be gas, as it being a semi automatic :P i had it in my head you were making a M99.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to make an M82, PM Me, I have plans :rolleyes:

A word of caution though, its 5oofps(Useable) limit for a .20g, the lightest 8mm is .27g, I think the weight difference allows you to knock it upto 375, but I might be off on my maths. Oh, and go for a 6mm as some sites dont allow them.(GMA, Phoenix, Op Tac to name three)

Oh, and if it is semi, it can be upto a whopping 12ft/lb of power, as thats the top end Air Rifle limits, over this is a sec.1 FAC for none self loaders(Revolvers count as this as you load it with the 1st stage of the trigger pull), and a sec. 5 Prohibited Weapon for self loading weapons.(such as a GBB)

However, it would be smegging cool if you manage to pull it off.

• Supporters

It would be so much more than cool if I pull it off.

parts for an 8mm are so much more expensive than teh 6mm equiv. I am just going 6milly. so much easier.

as for the M82 plans, yes please, I can't find any ANYWHERE!! (not even baretts website)

and do you know the distance the outer barrel travels into the reciever, when fired on a real steel M82?

what I'm thinking is a bolty type M82 so my local site can go to 500FPS with it, use M4 internals as far as mag and hop up go (just put a casing around the mags).

then Im using compressed air to propel the pneumatics in the barrel and all that jazz, so a trigger pull can ACT as semi auto, but only fire on the first shot, making huge noise and fun every pull after, but not firing.

say if this doesnt make sense :P

So that the weapon will only fire when you compress the spring, but the recoil system will shoot every time you pull the trigger? Sounds good to me. I would try and work out a way of turning the recoil off as well.

PM Me your email addy and I'll send the plans over.

BTW, I'd love a dummy barret if you can can sort out folding the sheet ali/steel.

• Supporters

haha, I'll see what I can do, and yeah, recoil could be turned off easily (shut a valve)... makes subtle sniping possible. giong the whooe hog and having a ghilllie suit, hiding in a bush and killing at huge ranonly works if your gun doesnt give you away every time you fire.

and PM sent.

I like the fact its milled sheet he uses and not a solid metal. Would make it a hell of a lot easyer to make, Trouble is, I havent got a press long enough to bend it though.

Only prob I've seen with them, the barrell isnt fluted like the real thing lol..

Archived