Interesting Article

The Dauphin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics..nuff said really. I could go one about comparisons between registered airsoft and paint ball sites being a better comparison, rather than total injuries, and types of "serious" injury and its definitions, but that would only be shooting holes in their wonderful graph.

So... they're using statistics from the US if I'm reading this correctly.

That's bull. It's like taking the number of injuries caused by cars and injuries caused by horses in France and saying that it's almost the same (or at least proportionally) as car versus horse related injuries in Argentina.

And what counts as an accident? Do "acts of nature" (bee/wasp/ant nests being desturbed) count towards injuries?

Regardless of whether it's comparing paintball to airsoft, train travel to cycling, this detail - or to be accurate, lack of detail - is so open to interpretation...

Probably safer because they are all Woofters who are afraid of their own Shadows LOL :P

Who gives a sh*t? Living on the edge now and then is good for you :lol:

Here's the article

Since the introduction of paintball and airsoft many years ago there has been an ongoing debate over which activity is safer. Now, thanks to an in-depth analysis by the Healthcare Cost and Utilisation Project in the US, we have some extensive statistics on reported injuries to ultimately settle the debate and crown one of the activities as the safest.

The report shows that between 2006 and 2008 there were a total of 2,800 reported paintball injuries, compared to a whopping 64,100 in airsoft. Similarly, over this time period the total number of reported paintball injuries has halved, totally only 600 injuries in 2008. It’s projected that the number of total injuries in the UK sustained during paintball events is only a fraction of what is experienced in the US, thus supporting the notion that paintball is one of the safest activities in the UK.

paintballr.jpg

Since the introduction of paintball and airsoft many years ago there has been an ongoing debate over which activity is safer. Now, thanks to an in-depth analysis by the Healthcare Cost and Utilisation Project in the US, we have some extensive statistics on reported injuries to ultimately settle the debate and crown one of the activities as the safest.

The report shows that between 2006 and 2008 there were a total of 2,800 reported paintball injuries, compared to a whopping 64,100 in airsoft. Similarly, over this time period the total number of reported paintball injuries has halved, totally only 600 injuries in 2008. It’s projected that the number of total injuries in the UK sustained during paintball events is only a fraction of what is experienced in the US, thus supporting the notion that paintball is one of the safest activities in the UK.

paintball safety statistics

One of the key reasons, as suggested in the article, for paintball demonstrating such an impressive safety record is due to stringent safety guidelines demonstrated by certain paintball providers. At Delta Force we pride ourselves on being industry leaders when it comes to safety. The UK Paintball Association (UKPBA) has awarded Delta Force with 5-Star accreditation due to our industry-leading safety standards, including providing all players with full head protection goggles, body armour and full length combat suits with protective collars. At Delta Force we believe that our rigorous safety practices positively contribute to paintball being officially recognised as a safer activity than airsoft.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Delta force wrote the article, so obviously it is going to have some bias in it, and my point is on the graph. It says 'air and paintball guns' not 'airsoft and paintball guns'. I am sure the 'in-depth analysis by the Healthcare Cost and Utilisation Project' would have managed to put the correct title on their graph.

From playing Paintball in the past I think that a Paintball hurts more than a BB. I agree with you if it is Air Rifle's they are referring to in the Graph no wonder there are more injuries lol

• Supporters

Bending the statistics and BS'ing to prove a point? Never!? That's not the most commonly used trick the world at all...

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they included actual air rifles/pistols in there. End of the day, you can wear just goggles or glasses in airsoft and be fine 99% of the time if you keep your mouth shut. They enforce complete face protection in paintball for a reason, those things carry a lot of energy.

Bending the statistics and BS'ing to prove a point? Never!? That's not the most commonly used trick the world at all...

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they included actual air rifles/pistols in there. End of the day, you can wear just goggles or glasses in airsoft and be fine 99% of the time if you keep your mouth shut. They enforce complete face protection in paintball for a reason, those things carry a lot of energy.

Airsoft is measured in Joules is Paintballing the same?

• Supporters

What aspect of airsoft though? Joules is a unit of energy, in most places its measured by the.projectiles velocity (FPS)

you need to account for both velocity and the mass for energy readings (as far as I know)

As someone has already mentioned, that graph is purposely misleading. The term 'Air guns' will include normal air rifles and pistols that shoot metal ammunition and are of course far more dangerous that 'Soft Air guns' (Hence AirSOFT). The statistic will also include anyone who has been admitted to hospital due to being shot at illegally with an air rifle which is far more common than the same with paintball and airsoft guns due to the fact that paintball/airsoft guns are non lethal.

I cannot seem to find any actual statistics for Airsoft related injuries and I believe that the statistics used by Deltaforce are blatantly being used in such a twisted fashion that they may as well be fabricated. Whoever wrote that article needs a serious slap in the face. Personally I am not bothered by which is safer but I am bothered by what they've tried to do here, which is borderline slander towards anyone who runs an airsoft site in a sensible and safe manner.

If enough people voice their concern about this they'll have to take the article down, hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Supporters

having just read some of your comments and being a competetive paintballer i can tell you now paintball doesnt hurt as much as you would think

but Whoever concocted this crud needs putting down with such lies

• Supporters

I think that at close range airsofting actually hurts a lot more.

I remember paintballing once and the last game of the day was just to get rid of people's remaining ammo. We stood 5 yards apart in two columns and just shot each other from 5 yards away until we ran out of ammo. I easily managed to stick it out to the end and I must've taken about 50 hits, if not more.

If I'd been stood there doing that for the same length of time, from the same distance, but using airsoft guns I'd probably have been bleeding from head to foot and on my way to a hospital. Though obviously the higher pressure hits, hitting a smaller area, ammunition not breaking, being of a higher velocity and obviously the guns also being fully automatic will have a lot to do with it. Plus there the fact that you wear your own gear in airsofting, people tend to cover their entire body quite thoroughly with paintballing, 'cos obviously if you don't you'll get covered in horrible, gel-like, paint shite.

Paintballing seems to hurt the same from pretty much any distance, airsofting hurts less the further away you are. It's swings and round abouts really. I'd say the sports were as dangerous as each other. If you're running around getting shot at, it doesn't matter what the guns or projectiles are, the effect it has on you are the same. Most of my worse injuries have come from falling in holes, over logs, running into and through things, a very small proportion of my injuries are actually from being shot.

You can report them to the trading standards office for false/biased information. I'm gonna send them an email so it will be interesting to see if they reply. If a number of us sent emails they'd surely have to do something.

EDIT: email to delta paintball not the trading office

• Supporters
you need to account for both velocity and the mass for energy readings (as far as I know)

That's precisely why we use Joules if we want to actually calculate how much 'power' any given weapon is putting out.

Sites ensure you're firing with 0.2 BBs when they check your FPS at chrono in the morning for a good reason, I can't remember the exact formula, but sufficed to say that figuring out the energy output of an airsoft weapon (in joules) requires both the FPS reading and the weight of ammo you're firing. As I'm sure you know (just to disseminate the info to all other readers/lurkers etc), an AEG firing at 350 with 0.38s is a lot more dangerous than one firing at 345 with 0.2s.

• AF-UK Founding Member

I don't remember the exact calculation, I did it a while ago now and involves some conversion if you enter the velocity in FPS. You can find out the energy of a projectile on our app though:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/app/

'Energy Calculator' is what you'll be after.

As I'm sure you know (just to disseminate the info to all other readers/lurkers etc), an AEG firing at 350 with 0.38s is a lot more dangerous than one firing at 345 with 0.2s.

Indeed, the gun firing on 0.38's would be doing 2.16J where as the gun firing on 0.2's at 345 would be at 1.11J. Massive difference.

Archived