Magpul Masada advice for a new(ish) player please!

Gaz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking at some simple upgrades to start with on my Magpul PTS Masada (not A&K) and could do with some help.

First is a precision/ tightbore barrel, I've read its advisable not to go lower than 6.03 unless using extremely high quality bb's as anything else can get stuck in a smaller barrel such as 6.01 and 6.02.

For the Masada 11.5 inch outer barrel I've seen a Prometheus 318mm or KM 317mm, both 6.03. Have a feeling Prometheus is best because it's a little pricier but can anyone confirm or deny this?

Second is new bucking as I've heard the stock bucking isnt much good and causes bb's to veer to the right (which I experience myself). I've heard lots of Masada owners say that guarder bucking gives them much better performance, but I've seen at least 2 degrees of hardness- 50° and 70°, can anyone give advice on which is best?

I'd also be glad to hear of any minor alterations I can make

Cheers guys

Prometheus are generally known to be one of the best brands you can get for barrels, so you shouldn't have any problems with one!

As to Buckings; I personally don't rate the Guarders, having had less than impressive results from them in the past; but others will have had different experiences. Get one and try it; each hop/barrel combo will produce different results, so experiment with different buckings until you find one that works well for you.

It depends what your weapon's firing at; but assuming you're around 330fps-ish; I'd recommend going with the softer bucking, the 50 degree.

Harder 70 degree ones are generally for higher-upgraded weapons.

Oh, and unless it's firing too Hot; then I wouldn't make any other alterations to the internals; barring the hop & barrel. Leave the gearbox as it is until something goes wrong; it'll last longer that way.

Oh, and unless it's firing too Hot; then I wouldn't make any other alterations to the internals; barring the hop & barrel. Leave the gearbox as it is until something goes wrong; it'll last longer that way.

Thanks for the response sounds like good advice, quite an obvious one but guess you're right no point changing something just for the sake of it.

My main goal is just to get my bb's firing further and straighter for longer as I'll be mostly playing outdoor sites this year. Also want to switch to a lipo to reduce size and weight but have heard the stock internals aren't up to one.

When you say firing 'too hot' what does that mean exactly?

Cheers

Two things:

Barrel and hop up rubber, using a madbul black python and blue rubber we achieve excellent results in the shop, but this sometimes over-hops .2's with no hop up set.

not that you should be using .2's with the masada, they work really well on 25's and upwards.

Cheers for that mate I was looking at moving up to .25's and thats the confirmation I needed ;)

Ah ok cheers, not yet you're right firing at around 330fps wouldn't mind getting that up as site allows 400 limit for DMR's with a higher minimum engagement range. Thinking of a stronger spring but heard too strong can cause damage?

Barring the possible legal implications of having it at 400fps, and sticking to purely practical matters:

If it's a DMR; you're more than likely going to be restricted to Semi only and have a minimum engagement distance. (Or you will if your site's halfway responsible!)

In my opinion; it's not worth it. Especially for a newish player, as you're more likely to wear out your gearbox quicker through increased stress and gearboxes are prone to lock up when fired quickly in semi; something that you would normally switch to auto to fix, only now can't.

FPS isn't the be all and end all when it comes to airsoft. A well set-up hop and barrel at 330 will outrange a poor set-up at 400 pretty much every time.

Plus; if you keep it at 330, you'll be able to use it at other sites when you go; whilst with a 400fps RIF, many sites won't allow them.

Trust me...many problems/breakages with RIFS are caused by owners 'improving' it. Leave it as it is for a year or so, and you're a lot less likely to end up with an expensive paperweight. :)

Only go inside once it does fail.

• Supporters

another thing on masada batteries:

run it on whatever you want.

The manual says 8.4V, balls to the manual.

we had one back for repairs in december which had been run on 11.1's for the last god knows how long (bought when tehy first cam out) and the reason for it coming back was the hop up nub was worn.

7.4V LiPo's are great in them.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Welcome to the forums :)

Looks like you've already had some solid advice. As said, FPS isn't the be all and end all. TM stuff is usually pretty low but it really isn't an issue when you see them perform.

Thanks guys, great forum :)

Yeah I heard before its a bit of an Airsoft myth that FPS is all important, thats why im starting with the subtle changes first, also heard the rules on FPS limits had been revised, I'll try to find out what my local sites position is on it but I doubt I would ever go to that limit anyway.

To be honest I've had my Masada almost a year (my first AEG), its only been used outdoor twice but both times I noticed the rounds were dropping off a lot sooner compared with some other rifles, but I'd gladly sacrifice rate of fire for more precise well placed shots on semi.

Reckon I'll try a 7.4 lipo then, cheers for the heads up!

Archived