ICS L86A2 - Wiring issues

nicholas-c
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, Glad to have found this place and hoping my first post is in the right place.

My mate bought an L86A2 (LSW) about a month ago, During our first skirmish it stopped working we couldn't figure it out and he just used my M4 for the rest of the day (I was taking photos). We stripped it down when we got to mine since I know more than him and the wiring by the motor/gearbox looks like it got caught somewhere and was worn, we took it back to the shop he bought it from, they fixed the wire (botch job). Sunday just gone playing with it again, it lasted almost the entire day when 2nd to last game... Dead again leaving him with just a Pistol, which isn't really an issue. I bet you can't guess what the issue this time was though? Bingo. Wiring.

I stripped it as far as I could so I could get a decent look at the entire circuit and I think I'm going to replace the entire thing and make the wires run along the gearbox tightly rather than anywhere to get caught. Question is, Where is the best place to buy connectors for the motor, trigger switch and battery (Might as well buy all new) Any tips whilst I'm doing work on it?

Some mods we are doing whilst it's "Out of action"

- New spring M110, Rated at 210FPS with standard spring at highest setting.

- New barrel, Tighter fit more accuracy.

- Get some sights, still looking for a SUSAT replica

Thanks

Nicholas-c

• Supporters

One word: Contacts.

Once you get the gun in two bits, there are two copper contacts on the right hand side of the trigger. These can oxidise, which breaks the circuit.

I'm not sure how you'd de-oxidise them, maybe wire them down with something or use a weak acid or something like that, I've got no idea, but that's probably what your problem is. It happened to me with my ICS L85 before I'd even put 3000 rounds through it but I had Patrol Base sort it out for me so I'm not sure what they did about it.

Try sorting them out before you try rewiring the whole gun, that will likely be a costly process and not even solve the problem.

Also, with regard to upgrades, I added a tight bore barrel and a new hop rubber and it vastly improved it. I went for a madbull version 2 with an ID of 6.03mm and I got a madbull blue hop rubber. Stick with the standard nub though.

Also, the standard spring is an M120 and gives out 385fps on the highest tension setting, I didn't feel any need to replace it as it can cater for CQB, mid range woodland as well as touching on DMR territory on the highest tension setting.

Getting an M110 ought to rate the fps at around 315 on the middle setting, at a guess. Probably give off around 350 fps on the highest setting. I'd stick with an M120, gives you greater license for adapting to various situations.

Sorry for the late reply, I have re-wired the gun and it's working now, how it handles a game day is a different story but we will found out. We are struggling to find a tight bore barrel long enough, 610mm we need I think for the L86... The longest JD airsoft had in their store was 590mm... Mate bought a new scope for it, pretty nifty.

With the spring... First time we chrono'd it out of the box it did 180, 205 then 198fps.. So I'm guessing it wasn't the M120.

Archived