What's the best sighting system for a support weapon

Baloo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As above, what do people think is the best all round sighting system for a support weapon?

I have seen the combined Elcan/ red dot combo what is the consensus on these?

personally, Id just stick with a single holo/reddot, you dont need opitics becuase combat range is never no more then 150, and if you are using a support gun, then id hope you were using it like one and not like a ulta high cap sniper rifle. so just spray and prey with them. so long as you are shooting in the right direction thats all that matters

• Supporters

Where do you play?

I always run an ACOG or something else with 3-4x mag on my rifles because I find that useful, and I just slap the exact optics on to my Minimi. Personally, given that in airsoft terms an LMG is really just another M4/AK with a big old magazine, I recommend just installing whichever type of optic you've already found suits your needs when you've used standard weapons in the past.

Outside, woodland sites. The support role is a new one to me, previously building and using DMR type m4/16 rifles and using a sniper type scope which would be serious overkill on a SAW :)

I thought the combined scope would give me best of both worlds, but never having used one and/ or support guns then I thought I would throw it out to folks with more experience in the matter.

• Supporters

You've got two main options really in that sense, a red-dot with a magnifier or a magnified optic with a supplementary docter sight.

Using the 2 seperate items maximises the utility of the red-dot when not magnified, but you've got the weight of two bits of kit and it's not ideal when magnified. An ACOG/Spectre with a docter should weigh less (well, maybe not the Elcan) and the primary magnified optic is better, but the backup sight is pretty small and not quite as easy to use. Neither setup is cheap.

Just depends what you want really. I'd go with an ACOG w/ Docter since that'll be the lightest and you don't want to make an already heavy gun even worse, but that's because I've tried out all the options already and I know what I like. Most airsofters who don't use iron sights just use Aimpoints or EoTechs though.

• Supporters

That's the older style of the Elcan replicas. Try and find one with wire instead of string securing the battery cap and the iron sights off to one side, that'll be the newer (better) type.

They're not cheap and they're heavy, but they're the most effective optic available for all-round use to my mind.

• Supporters

Does that mount onto a 19mm dovetail, or will a 20mm picatinny be needed?

Did you order it through UNCOMPANY themselves? If so what where delivery times, costs, taxes like?

• Supporters
Does that mount onto a 19mm dovetail, or will a 20mm picatinny be needed?

To be honest, the only optic I've ever known to fit the L85 Dovetail is the SUSAT (or ACOG with 19mm mount). Everything's 20mm now, the new kit for the L85 includes an adapter to mount a 20mm rail over the 19mm for use with the new Elcan.

Did you order it through UNCOMPANY themselves? If so what where delivery times, costs, taxes like?

I did yes, but with a load of other stuff so you'd have to go through the checkout yourself to find out about shipping costs. They will take a while to despatch but that's the nature of HK stores these days. As for taxes, just keep your eyes open when you're selecting all your options during the checkout, I'll say no more than that (since it's rather against the rules).

Archived