Geocaching

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So this girl at work is a film student and she's been telling me all about her final project for uni, which seems really cool (she's doing a LOTR-esque story based on two friends going after the ultimate geocache) and is taking her over to LA. As part of the film, she's gonna do an "extras" reel where she goes after some genuine caches in LA.

The idea appeals to me, I like to get outdoors and exploring, so I was just wondering if anyone else had been doing any geocaching - think I'm gonna invest in the app for it - it's £7, but it seems like a small investment for what could turn into a cool passtime (something to kill time on days off when I'm poor again)...

never really understood it, from my limited viewpoint (please correct me if i'm wrong, i watched it on gadget show the year before last), person A leaves anything from a £50 scooter to a £2,000 motorbike in the middle of the woods with a GPS tag, and then Person B turns up to take it and relies on the honour system to either return it or put something of equal value.

way i see it, Person B has the best fencing operation in the world.

• Supporters

You're kinda right.

The "treasure" itself is just the cache, usually they just have a log book in and that's it, you sign the logbook and leave a message.

From what I know, when people leave a prize of value, it's first finder's reward...

You're kinda right.

The "treasure" itself is just the cache, usually they just have a log book in and that's it, you sign the logbook and leave a message.

From what I know, when people leave a prize of value, it's first finder's reward...

it is fun but usually there is nothing that big and alot of people dont put that much stuff in just useless crap

• Supporters

It sounds like hide and seek but using technology to cheat. Wouldn't finding it in the end seem like quite a hollow victory? I mean, you find it with the help of a GPS tracking device and then there's nothing inside it apart from a book.

Sounds kinda lame.

It'd be cool in airsofting though, if we had all of Salisbury Plain to roam around on, with a GPS target somewhere and then both teams needed to fight their way to find it first, culminating in a mahoosive battle over the target at the end. They could make it look like a crashed satellite or something.

• Supporters

I've dabbled in a litte urban geocaching-the treasure should be replaced (obviously a large, expensive item is for the first person to have, under the laws of 'finders keepers' but smaller thijngs should be replaced)

It's not the cache itself, rather the sense of adventure - you've never been to this place before and have no idea of what is there, plus you are wandering around, fairly aimlessly with your mates.

Archived