L85 flash hider and EMAGs?

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I've been building up my L85 to look like the version issued in Afganistan, but I've come to the point where I have everything apart from the flash hider. I'm not really bothered about getting it either... Unless this thread brings something to light that I'm unaware of.

I'm just wondering, why did the MoD actually decide to change it in the first place? The new design looks like it could get caught up on things like plants, so it seems like a step in the wrong direction, if anything. Surely the design can't alter anything other than maybe the sound?

Does anyone know why it's been changed? I've been trying to find out for a while but the internet seems useless for this sort of thing.

• Supporters

Probably better at reducing muzzle flash.

Although if thats the reason, they'd probably use a 3 pronged one which are the best at flash reduction... or so I've heard.

I'm sure CK or Hubert will know a definitive answer :)

• Supporters

Despite the name, flash hiders aren't actually meant to hide the flash to help hide the shooter. They're more to prevent blinding the shooter when firing at night and I can't see how this new one would be any better than the other one, as if the old one was bad for blinding people, why did they wait so long to sort it out? =/

But yeah, I'll wait for other's input.

• Supporters

It's a pretty recent addition, and the MoD never buy anything for the actual troops on the ground unless there's a damn good reason to. The 'birdcage' design still found on more standard L85s and on all US issue ARs is pretty ancient, and technology has moved on since they were originally adopted, however many decades ago that was.

The FH is responsible for controlling how the gases exiting the barrel are distributed and directed, hence it has a significant affect on many firing characteristics of the weapon it is fitted to. Type and level of muzzle report, brightness, pattern and amount of potential flash (particularly relevant at night), direction of the blast itself (some hiders send it all sideways: rubbish for the man next to you) as well as muzzle flip and felt recoil to an extent.

Imagine if someone made a hider with only one hole at the 12 o/clock position for example, your weapon would probably end up being jerked downwards every time you fired.

• Supporters

So it's basically just an update for an old old old part. I think I might as well stick with the standard one for now.

I'm sticking to STANAGs despite us using Emags... Mainly because I don't like Emags much, but also because I don't want to fork out for magazines for a third time lol. So it's not like my failure to update the FH will further damage the look of the gun lol.

Unless you're aiming for a very specific loadout, from a specific date, I wouldn't worry about the flash-hider (or magazines for that matter) that much.

(Says the guy with the fictional carbine L85 based on a defunct A1 prototype...)

Looking at some of my cousin's photos from his first trip to Afghanistan last year, it seemed like there was still quite a lot of variation on an individual level, some guys still using SUSATs, some still using the old plastic handguards and so on.

• Supporters

and as far as i`m aware E-mag`s are bought by the individual and not the Army standard issue are the standard type mag`s so you are right in what you have!

• Supporters

Well Feck know`s as nobody at RAF Leuchar`s Kinloss or lossie know what they even look like i mean they thought i was gonna sell em a dirty mag.... infact i think most of them need laid if that`s what thier thinking of while on the job lol and most army guy`s i talk to 3 friend`s don`t have any either

• Supporters

How are they actually better?

Surely mags just have springs in to load rounds into the breach. How can a plastic bodied mag do the job better than a metal one? I get that they might save weight and some have ammo windows in them but are there any other reasons everyone talks about them like they surpass sliced bread on the scale of best things ever?

• Supporters

They just are Speaking in general of The whole line i mean you get built in magpul which people forget about a LOT, save`s weight (right now everything is about saving weight in the RS tactical shooter world not too sure in the military tho lol) and i read somewhere that they stand up better against dirt and being dropped not too sure tho because i can`t even remember where i got it from

• Supporters

-Significantly lighter

-Visual ammo count

-Far less susceptible to jams and mis-feeds caused by ingress of sand, dirt and moisture due to internal architecture

-Supplied dust covers prevent ingress of dirt in the fist place

-All the parts are impervious to corrosion

-Doesn't get burning hot when exposed to the afghan sun

-Superior contouring around the feed lips means smoother, more consistent feeding of the rounds

-Better design of follower that doesn't tilt or get stuck

-Options for ranger plates

-Quicker and easier disassembly

-Superior external design in terms of ergonomics makes reloads faster with less chance of slipping when wet or cold

-The polymer used is much more resilient to deformation and general damage

• Supporters

I'd never thought of mags getting hot to the touch, I think they must sell on that point alone haha. Cheers CK.

• 4 months later...
  • Supporters

Right, I'm reviving the thread because I now do want both the flash hider we talked about and the mags.

So I just want to know where I can get the flash hider and will it fit on the ICS L85 and then, same question again for the magazines. I think I'd prefer window-less ones though. Seems kinda stupid to me having widows in magazines showing fake bullets, especially since they won't deplete as I fire...

But yeah, anyone help me out?

• Supporters

Kind warrior? Lol. Land Warrior do indeed have the flash hider, £30 seems a bit mental though, it also looks darker than I thought there were.

What about the mags? I'm looking for E-Mags right? Which brand is best? Does anywhere sell box sets? I've tried all the major shops already and most only sell individually and are all out of stock.

Magazines - Magpuls PTS Emags work wonderfully.

I have no idea if they make windowless mags (personally I don't like them anyway - I understand your point, but I just feel that the magazines with windows look far better)

IRRC, CK uses windowless magazines in his ICS so he'd be the man to ask, but I could be confusing his L85 with someone else I've seen on Arnies.

The flash hider depends entirely on how ICS fixed the flash-hider on your L85. Some L85s have a simply grub-screw, others have threaded barrels.

• Supporters

Think I'll just go for the ones with windows in then, I've found some on Fire Support - box of 10 for £60 which I think is pretty good, only problem is that they're out of stock <_<

They're also called PTS EMAG Green label... What's the significance of the green label...?

• Supporters

Made by Magpul PTS...

Archived