Best face protection for someone with glasses?

JRTIGHE
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I was wondering whether any of you have glasses and if so how do you protect your face? What's some of the best options for me? Thanks! (I'd prefer goggles as I've heard that the wire mesh things are not actually safe!).

Hi all, I was wondering whether any of you have glasses and if so how do you protect your face? What's some of the best options for me? Thanks! (I'd prefer goggles as I've heard that the wire mesh things are not actually safe!).

Well I think whatever you go for I would suggest try before you buy as it all comes down to the size of your glasses and how the goggles fit. I have seen (own test) mesh give up under close range full auto, then again it took a while so I would not say all mesh is bad. However I must admit I no longer tend to play in mesh, just use for plinking. Apart from potential safety issues it also messes with my red-dot sights (you see lots of them :) ) If you got your glasses on underneath the mesh though (as some people play in shooting glasses only) I would suspect you would be safer than most if you did go mesh. Dont quote me on that though, I am no expert.

Personally I use real deal bolle tactical goggles and they work for me (although I rarely wear my glasses to airsoft they did fit). I have a friend who uses goggles as well with his glasses, he ended up with a snowboarders goggles. He tested them in usual 'point blank' test (most powerful gun, point blank) and they worked, they were also rated for impact protection so he happy. All goggles I used can mist up, its the price you pay but on the move they are normally crystal clear and you can forget you are even wearing them.

We both use a separate wire mesh lower face guard, his with ear defenders mine just basic. Sites wont call this full face, but it will save your teeth :) Equally I own a pretty decent all in one mask (Save Phace make I think) and this is also pretty good. So just more options for you, I would suggest locating an airsoft or paintball shop nearby and going and trying some stuff out first hand.

well I just wear contact lenses but if you don't want to wear them you can get RX inserts for ESS glasses ot just buy a big pair of goggles and i'm sure glasses would go under

The top half of this: http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info...roducts_id=2439

And then one of these: http://www.khmountain.com/airsoft/product_...roducts_id=2710

And used this on my glasses: http://www.airsoftworld.net/protective-eqp...tion-250ml.html

That's what i wear anyway, the full mask used to steam up horribly every game so replaced the bottom and used the spray :) and as to the "mesh not being safe". I've been shot at pointblank with full auto at cqb and never had a problem.

Hope this helps xD

well I just wear contact lenses but if you don't want to wear them you can get RX inserts for ESS glasses ot just buy a big pair of goggles and i'm sure glasses would go under

Actually not all goggles will work with specs. I tried goggles initially, as I wear glasses, and found that certain ones have a space at the sides to allow the arms of your specs to go through, others don't and will then be uncomfortable or leave gaps. Try to have a look at them before you buy, or go for those that say they allow specs to be worn with them. Otherwise, shooting glasses with prescription inserts work, although don't provide full face protection and also don't work that well with the mesh face masks.

All glasses type masks will tend to mist up and specs can still mist up under mesh goggles if you're running around a lot or you're in a damp enviroment (like F&O Outpost/The Tunnels - it's really damp in there).

Try FogTech from Airsoft World or Cat Crap (not sure where to get this) or ask at your Opticians for an anti-fog spray but be prepared to have to reapply during the day.

Mike

I have seen (own test) mesh give up under close range full auto, then again it took a while so I would not say all mesh is bad. However I must admit I no longer tend to play in mesh, just use for plinking. Apart from potential safety issues it also messes with my red-dot sights (you see lots of them :) ) If you got your glasses on underneath the mesh though (as some people play in shooting glasses only) I would suspect you would be safer than most if you did go mesh.

Yup.

A player local to me has ended up in hospital with a punctured cornea and shrapnel in his eye. Was wearing mesh glasses, and bits managed to get through. Its rare but it does happen.

Makes me glad i wear regular safety glasses / goggles. I get paranoid with stuff like that.

I used to have the same problem, but I ended up sorting out contact lenses which I only ever wear when playing airsoft/shooting so I can use a decent pair of ballistic glasses.

My advice would be (if you are able) to consider contact lenses which will eliminate the whole problem and leave you free to use any kind of face protection you want. As others have mentioned, shooting glasses with inserts are a good option but much like normal glasses, you don't get full FOV that you do with contacts.

I would definately vote contacts as well, they're a bit strange to begin with but once you're used to them you never notice them, and you also destroy at stareing competitions! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just got these (yes i know they are blue!)

IMG_0132.jpg

They have the space for glasses arms and are very comfy even with a helmet on

IMG_0133.jpg

I use Guarders with the prescription inserts; always been good to me, apart form lately. I lost the little rubber nose-pieces; meaning they ended up sitting to close to my face. Not only uncomfortably, but they steamed up a lot more after that.

Granted it was a very humid and rain-filled day...

I've managed to take some similar-sized nose pieces off a pair of cheap glasses and with a bit of drilling, gluing and bodging they now sit out back where they should be!

Taking them out this Sunday, so I'll get to see if they go back to being usable...

• 1 month later...

These aren't my specific model; but they're the same sort of thing:

Guarders

The bit top left above the glasses themselves are the prescription inserts; take them to specsavers or similar and get custom lenses made to go inside them.

Any idea how much perscription lenses would cost for these type glasses?

it'll be cheaper to get contacts

Archived