many new stuffs from magpul

M_P
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Link isn't working for me.

But - did you really mean Pmags for the L85? Since the L85 actually uses EMags...

Or have magpul actually released an airsoft PMag for airsoft L85s?

• Supporters

I'd imagine they decided it was a bit of a waste of resources to produce one type of mag that only worked in ARs and then another kind for other weapons. The version 3 PMAG will just work in everything that takes STANAG, so my guess right now is that they'll just phase out the EMAG. I'm sure PTS won't be far behind at all in releasing their version.

For now however, a lot of PMAGs seem to work in airsoft L85s anyway. I've tried the very original PTS types and the Beta project dual-window style in my ICS, they need a push but they fit no problem; can't confirm the M-Version but I can't see a problem with them. My single-window 120rnd PTS EMAGs fit a bit more easily but they're also a lot more prone to just dropping out when you're not looking.

I've never managed to get any brand or model of Pmag to fit either my LSW or my carbine, no matter what I try they just don't lock in place.

The 120 round dual-window EMags fit fine though, lock in perfectly - a bit of wobble, but then most non-ICS magazines seem to do that for me.

Forgive me if I'm wrong (Magpul not being something I've read into much tbh), but I thought the E-mag was the Export model, and the P-Mag was the US-only market. And it was just a coincidence that the E-mag fits more firearms than the P-mag does.

Like I said, I haven't read that much about magpul, so the above could all be complete gibberish (care of a 1 year old wikipedia article)

• Supporters

That's how it used to be, which would make sense if the article is a year old.

I don't work for them, but this is my educated guess. There's probably no reason for them to make one kind of mag with geometry that's entirely specific to AR-15s when there's no actual tactical advantage to that. Before plastic magazines came along the steel mags that everyone in NATO used were generic, they'd fit in anything (there were some feeding issues I believe, but they would all fit none-the-less).

Now they've adjusted their latest PMAG to simply work in everything, whereas before they had to produce the Export version since their flagship model was only suitable for one weapon type. It's not the biggest of deals in airsoft since I've seen PTS PMAGs used in the HK416 etc, but when PTS does come out with this version 3 then if people want to buy them and they own (for example) an M4, an L85 and a 416, they won't have to worry about potential fitment issues. One set of mags will cover them for everything.

• Supporters

As a civvie? Not as far as I know.

From what I've seen it would appear that even Daniel Defence got given an old A1 when they were contracted to produce the new RIS. There's probably less than 10 L85s in all of America and they seem to all be owned by museums and large organisations/companies.

Pretty certain you can't own one as a civilian in the UK given that it's 5.56 and full-auto, and the only place I've seen or touched one outside of MoD armouries was when I visited the secret patterns room attached to the royal armouries museum in Leeds.

That makes sense, I understand that Magpul must be spending a lot of money making 2 types of magazine - especially since one is (for all intents and purposes) useless, if the real-steal version can only be used by a small part of the market.

(Off topic, on to gun-ownership)

I do know of a very small number people in the UK who own real-steal SA80s, all are A1 types, although this is going back at least 3 years. I can't remember if they had been converted to fire a different ammunition. I'm not an armourer, so I don't know the details - but - they'd been modified so that they could only work on semi-automatic. One of the L85s was clearly a former cadet rifle, as it was bolt-action only (or whatever the correct terminology is for an assault-rifle which only fires by manually pulling the charging handle)

Cost a bomb, I remember the guy owning the LSW told me it had cost him about £9K, without the SUSAT.

You can/could buy 'cloned' L85s in the States, made by a group called Prexis. PR85s. Based on the A1. I have no idea if this is still possible, nor do I know how successful this company was. I'd also been told of a group (LE International, I think, based in Southern England) who sold .22 'clone' L85A1s to the European market.

• Supporters

The RS PMAG is by the far the bigger seller, by a huge margin in fact, hence why I called it their flagship product. They sell in significant numbers to the huge civilian shooting community in the US and certain military units order them in as well, and as everyone knows, any US gov contract means big things. The EMAG won't have sold anywhere near as many; the USMC alone is now quite a bit bigger than all 3 of our services combined.

As for the rifles, guess it goes to show there's always the odd example that slips through the net. They presumably are all legal so I've no idea why we'd be selling any to the public, but as you say they'd have to be modified to make them legal, so they're not technically quite the same weapon any more.

Unfortunately the general rubishness of the A1 pretty much killed the popularity of the system as a whole and it's barely used by any military forces except our own. I'm not sure if any new ones are even being made now-a-days, seeing as we've probably got thousands more of the things than we have actual personnel to carry them.

• Supporters

For those that don't get the magpul newsletter but want some ideas of what's likely to be coming from PTS:

870 shotgun forend

MOE870_forend_02_PDE.jpg

870 Shotgun stock

SGA870_1_PDE.jpg

Enhanced XTMs

lineart_XTM%20Enhanced_01_PDE.jpg

XTM Hand stop kit

lineart_XTM%20Handstop_01_PDE.jpg

MOE Fixed rifle stock

PDE_moe%20fixed_01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived